Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Starting Out Plan

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 01:55
Alright, so heres the deal. For the past... year or so, I've been on a ORPG development team, although it has been pretty quite, not much getting done. Yah know? Anyways, I was talking to the owner of this ORPG (please note that I saw ORPG, not MMORPG, I'll call it an MMO if we ever get there).

Now, I know very well about how bad DBP's multiplayer commands are, or so I've heard from all the time I've been researching it. We have another programmer, who will be programming a server either in C++ or VB, along with some DLLs to aid the client programming. But everything I've said is pretty irrelevant to my real question.

Now, I've been thinking about how to start, and, I'll be doing what most recommend: Start small. Although, I'm not sure if I'm starting small enough. I've had a bit of experience with VB and QBasic, and a tiny bit of C++, so I'm aware of the difficulties of programming.

I'm planning to go 2D, and here are my current planned steps.

Quote: "Test 1
- Get red ball loaded from BMP moving on green landscape loaded from BMP.
Test 2
- Get character which turns diffirent directions based on key press, loaded from individual BMPs moving on green landscape.
Test 3
- Get character loaded from one BMP turning diffirent directions moving on green landscape.
Test 4
- Get character with 2 walking frames loaded from one BMP moving on green landscape.
Test 5
- Get character with 3 walking frames loaded from one BMP moving on green landscape."

I'd like to know if you guys think I'm starting small enough, or if my 'tests' are advancing to fast. I hope I haven't made myself look to immature with this post, I try not to, being of a young age. If you've read this all, thanks for your time, and if you can comment or help out with my question, please do.

TopGunSF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 03:30
From what I have seen in the past age has absolutely nothing to do with ones programming ability. You seem to have a fairly well thought out plan so in my opinion it would be best to just stick with it. If you encounter any difficulties then you can back up a few steps and find the problem. Why hold yourself back? If you think you can move at that rate, go for it.

Computers are like air conditioners, they stop working when you open windows.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 03:45
Quote: "I hope I haven't made myself look to immature with this post"

Spelling mistakes dont usually help that

Anyways, there really isnt anything we can tell you about your methods. They seem basic enough for a beginner, but how you learn is up to you, we cant possibly know if this will be too tough for you or not... so not much point in asking.

Welcome to the forums.

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's
Mickm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 03:48 Edited at: 19th Jul 2006 03:50
"Not planning is planning to fail" as they say.

I think your plan is reasonable maybe combine some of them like 4 and 5 definitly. I mean you get 1 it shouldn't be that much of a step to get the other (its only 2 frames vs 3).

What I like to do before a project is separate it into blocks.
EG if say i was making two player pong.

Step 1. Player 1 movement
Step 2. Ball Movement
Step 3. Collision Detection
... etc ...

I haven't done anything with the multiplayer commands so i can't help you out there, but it looks like your starting off just fine. Use the help files as they are a great help

btw
Quote: "Quote: "I hope I haven't made myself look to immature with this post"

Spelling mistakes dont usually help that "

I believe thats grammar

http://www.gamestack.org
Kyuur
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 03:54
Heh, yah, I'm not the best in grammar. Anyways, thanks for welcoming me RUCCUS, and thanks for all the help and suggestions Mickm! I'll make sure to review all the help files. I should have been a bit more specific with 4 VS 5 however.

I was meaning sort of like normal walking.. switching from normal stance to right foot, then when the player presses the key again or continues to hold it switches to left foot.

Again, thanks for the help.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 14:48
Taking a step back, this months tutorial might help you. It's all about planning a game for a compo entry, but everything in it is still relevant, it's the section titled "DarkBASIC Professional Mastery"...

http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_42.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 05:20:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 05:20:45