Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
yes i am a newcomer and i know you people dont necesarilly like people like me but i have a question that needs answering...

ive down almost all of the tutorials that i can find on this site and darkbasic.com, also the ones included with my purchase of darkbasic..

and i was wondering if your making a 1st person game how do you make levels to play in and such?? is that done in darkbasic or other programs?
Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 23:13 Edited at: 6th Apr 2003 23:14
Hey, I'm new too mate, and the vast majority of the forum don't hate our kind. Anyway you need other programs to make levels, player models, etc. I know programs like Quark, Milkshape but no others so you'll have to ask someone.

Enjoy your stay

DarkBASIC Professional is the best programming utility.
8/10 Housewives agree!
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 23:54
You have a range of choice when using DBPro and DB for making levels. You basically have 3 main options open to you:

1. Use a Third Party level editor to make your levels and get them into DB. A lot of people here use Cartography Shop. There are many excellent ones avaliable which have been programmed by DB folks... Look around these boards - particually the program ones and you'll find one in no time at all.

2. Create a program to make your own levels and a custom format with which to save and load them into DB. You can easily construct a level using only DBs primitives. A lot of people do that.

3. Hard code the position of all the objects and the type of objects directly into your game. I don't really recommend this.

GC
http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/
Succession: The Betrayal developer
PokeSmot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 05:20
there doesn't seem to me, to be a lot of nOob hostility here. i think thats why they gave us our own forum! i am new too and my first post was well recieved so i am looking foward to when i am coding on a level that i can make better use of these forums. so to summarize no newbie-itis so far!!!
Fluffy Paul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 15:06
You know that x-itis means "inflammation of the x" e.g. tonsiltis is inflammation of the tonsils. Are you suggesting that we'll ever get inflamed newbies?

Ending a sentence with a French word is so passé
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 16:19
I must say, ive pnly been here a few months, but right from the start ive had a very good reception, just about everyone has been very friendly etc, we all try to encourage noO0Oobs as much as we can. So,

WELCOME TO DB!!!!!!! We hope your stay is a nice experience for you, the spa and sauna are open from 8am to 3pm, please feel free to make full use of our wide varieties of services

Tha D'lithi'om CRR'ist'lls Can'na Tek it Cap'n!
Superbeest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 16:35
Me love n00bs. Or something like that lol Everybody started as a n00bie, so give everybody a chance to become a good programmer.

By steel will thy flesh divide
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 17:21
If you wan't to make levels quick and with ease use something like Cartography Shop. If you wan't you're games to run faster make the level in pure code.

Anyone Can Destroy...But Few Can Create...
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 02:24 Edited at: 8th Apr 2003 02:24
We never get inflamed newbies, but we occasionally get flamed by newbies. It's an unfortunate occurance but, luckily, is normally limited to the team requests board.

Anyway, how you build your levels will often depend on what sort of game you're making. In wide, outdoor areas, matrices are your best bet - either made with one of the community's matrix-makers (I haven't tried any, so I can't suggest any), or perhaps randomly created if that would work.

As for an indoor-oriented game, you might like to use BSP, but something along the lines of static collision zones is probably more stable, if less flexible. BSP would be created in a program like WorldCraft, while the static collision method would probably need manually laying out, with either the whole or chunks of the level built in a regular 3D editor like MilkShape or 3DSMax.

If you're starting out, a matrix is probably the best idea. Matrices, although limited in usefulness, are pretty easy to use, don't need any expensive tools and have a good collision engine built in.

"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:30:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:30:29