Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [DarkA.I] Multistorey entity navigation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 18:35 Edited at: 27th Jul 2006 18:36
Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out the best and fastest method of adding multistory entity navigation to the a.i system, i.e. if a sound like an explosion is created in container 1(first floor) and an entity is in container 0(ground floor) how could the entity find the nearest staircase leading them from their current floor to the destination floor.

The best plan I can think of is to make a set of way-points on the corners of the staircase and mark these as connecting container0->container1 and vice-versa, then just set the entities destination as these way-points until they reach their target floor/container.

Does anyone else have any ideas of a better way to do this?

I know the voices aren't real, but they have good ideas!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 18:44
You could make path between points from entity to staircase. Then make another path between points from staircase to explosion. Then Add points from path 2 to path 1. Finally set patrol path for entity to Path 1.

The only thing this doesn't cater for is climbing the stairs.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 19:03
Ok,

So in my amazingly high-tech diagram below where the black dots are the predefined staircase traversing way-points, you could make a path from the entity (blue circle) to the first staircase way-point then add the staircase way-points into the path then make a path from the last staircase way-point to the explosion and assign the entity to this path and remove it once it reaches the final point?

The Y position for the entity travelling up the stairs will be handled by the physics/collision system.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 19:35
I think that would work. Then, if he gets disturbed along the way, he will eventually return to his path and you aren't left with the headache of working out how to get him back on track again.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 19:38
Yeah that sounds like the best way to go, thanks BatVink

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:49:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:49:59