Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Engines (DBC or other)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 16:53
I have more of a fundamental question. I could program stuff like Pong, Tic-Tac-Toe, and something of a space shooter. I still don’t understand the meaning of engine. Could you write, say, a 2D engine in DBC? Isn’t any kind of engine, 2D or 3D, just some functions? But isn’t that, like, a DLL?

If they are functions are they rendering, physics, or file accessing functions? Geez, I don’t need code. I just want a core explanation of what an engine is (no matter how noob that sounds).

Thanks, guys

a.k.a. "flockhound"
Trinita
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 17:45
A definition from wikipedia:
"In computing, a game engine is the core software component of a video game. It typically handles rendering and other necessary technology, but might also handle additional tasks such as game AI, collision detection between game objects, etc. The most common element that a game engine provides is graphics rendering facilities (2D or 3D)."

Quote: "Could you write, say, a 2D engine in DBC?"

Answer:
Every time you code a program with 2D components you create a 2D Engine that handles the images in the way you decided in the code.

Quote: "If they are functions are they rendering, physics, or file accessing functions?"

Answer:
All of them and even more(sounds,memblocks,vectors etc..).

"An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind."
flock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 17:51
Thanks, Trinita

a.k.a. "flockhound"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 05:20:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 05:20:20