Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The viking from outer space

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 21:15 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2006 22:07
The viking from outer space

I decided to take a break from Shoulhunter and try to make something decent in DBP. The story in this game won´t be anything special, the little spaceviking have to clear levels on different planets before the time runs out. His goal is to invade earth. (right now, I may change that)
The viking has a gun of some sort which he can use to destroy the landscape, so that he can make his way to the next level.
The levels are just jpg images and some other data, so there will be a level editor.

That´s all for now. I´ll release a demo when I´ve finished all menus.

Note: The levels used in the screenshots and videos are temporary and wont be used in the completed game, since I haven´t made the graphics myself(as you can see).

Screenshots:

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 22:22
Again - nice stuff. Looks like a fun little camera change on the old Worms game (I like the 3rd level in your video - very funny).

Not sure how you're going to make eating away at the landscape exciting after the first few blasts - but I trust you to do it.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 00:44
I thought suolhunter was made in DBC?

And how'd you make the eating away thing?

Applyby has Flies in his Eyes.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 02:22
@ zzz - looking food so far. keep it up!

@ xeno - looks like the pasting of transparent disc-shapes.

Virtual Nomad
Athlon XP1800+, Windows XP+SP2, Soyo K7V Dragon+ MB, 1.5Gb 333 RAM, ATI Radeon 8700LT (128Mb)
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 11:18 Edited at: 31st Jul 2006 11:21
Thanks for the comments!

Tinkergirl: I´ll try my best to make it a fun game!
Xenocythe: Soulhunter is made in dbc. This viking game is made in dbp. And yes, I´m pasting transparent shapes on a bitmap to make holes in the terrain.
Virtual nomad: Thanks!

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 11:34
I think the explosions are a bit too long-winded to be honest, you throw a bomb and it takes the best part of 5-10 seconds for it to finish blowing up.
While it depends on the type of game you're making, if you're making a real-time game, as opposed to turn-based, I'd speed up the explosions a bit, apart from that looks good, well done

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
nice! althought the graphics are not too clean like in worms

MyNewSite:http://gogetax.com
Forums(About BLO and more):http://gogetax.com/forum
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 16:47
It looks very nice. I agree with Sergy too, graphics need touching up but i'll let you off considering you just started

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 18:14
Make this online, and you'll be amazin! And so wil the game.

Anyways, so your just pasting a trasnparent bitmap onto the bitmap? But then how do you tilt the screen?

Applyby has Flies in his Eyes.
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet! This looks really cool! The graphics are too pixelized though. CAn't wait for demo!

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 23:59
Why does the game have a hitch while deforming the terrain?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 12:30
Foxblitzz: That´s because it´s using the get image command, which seems to slow the game down when using larger bitmaps.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 02:34
haha that looks awesome! can't wait to get a demo!

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 21:31
I did some experiments with memblocks and came across a fairly quick way of doing this. Check out the vid and if you are interested I can give you the code. It works pretty quickly so the delay between explosions is just me deciding when and where to click.
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/andrewneale2004/?action=view¤t=worms.flv

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 20:02
andrew neale: That looks good. What is the size of the image that you´re using? If you make the image bigger, will that slow down the creating of the holes? I scaled the image that I´m using to 256x256 and the annoying delay disappeared totally.
I think I´ll work more on soulhunter for now and then I´ll continue with this.

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 23:28
ZZZ, the link to the vid is dead now, i REALLY wanted to watch it aswell. i like all things Viking Rargh!

Can you gimme a few pointers about the whole, hole-making thing, im currently using DBC and would love to make a Worms-esq/lemmings game.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 12:37
Updated the vid for ya.

I just paste a black circle on a bitmap and then texture a plain with it. Then I use the point command to see if a pixel is black or any other colour, if it´s black I let the little dude fall. I use the same method for detecting walls and for detecting when the bullet has hit something. This method is slow if you use large bitmaps though, so I would recommend to use bitmaps at the size of ~255x256.

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 13:15 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 15:48
Dude, just watched the vid. It totally kicks ass! am soo gunna have to try and do something like that now (the destroyable landscape)

*-* EDIT *-*

Just been playing around with images/bitmaps and point() unless im retarded and doing it totally wrong (which i prob am) using images bigger than 64*64 is a bad idea

Quote: "Then I use the point command to see if a pixel is black or any other colour.....This method is slow if you use large bitmaps though, so I would recommend to use bitmaps at the size of ~255x256."

i experimented with different sized images in a FOR/NEXT loop and it takes AGES to do anything. At 256*256 it takes nearly 30mins to collect all the point() data and at 64*64 it takes nearly 2 mins.

my code for this process is

Where:
BMW = bitmapwidth
BMH = bitmapheight
COORD = COORD(BMW,BMH,1) = stores the point info

Am i doing this wrong?
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 15:55
No, use point at the current position of your character. And you probably have to convert its positions so it work with your bitmap.
Then to make a hole, paste a circle onto your landscape bitmap and then use get image to use the bitmap as a texture for a plain(if you want to have some 3d-fx later, like the zooming camera)
I´m sorry that I´m so bad at explaining myself, so if it´s something that you still don´t understand, just ask.

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 16:16 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 16:33
ok.. so instead of having the point running for the whole image, you just use it where the character is to detect 'gaps'

and then destroy the landscape when the bopmb hits it.. i gotcha!

and there i was getting the point value of the ENTIRE bitmap hehe .. my bad! cheers! i'll edit it a bit n see wot happens.

*-* EDIT *-*

Sorry to ruin your thread like this but im still having problems. Am currently using a mouseclick to act as the bomb.

if u try running it, use any old bitmap, it will update itself. Cheers
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 12:25
I used the point commands all over the image at the start and created an array. I then made a 2D raycast function using that array for collision which is really fast. When I add a whole I just update the array by using code similar to:

To create the visual holes I convert the image to a memblock and then do the above code but add write memblock dword command to change the color at that pixel to the transparent color. This runs at an admirable speed on a 800x600 image and if you want your lanscape to be bigger then simply have multiple images and then only update the ones which the hole affects.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 16:23 Edited at: 20th Aug 2006 16:25
Xenocythe had an idea that I should make the game playable over a network. So I downloaded the tempest dll and implemented it to the game.

Right now the only variables that uses the dll is the position variables. I only have one computer to test this on right now,
but I think it looks quite promising.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 16:30
You're right, it does!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 12:53 Edited at: 26th Aug 2006 12:56
Here´s another multiplayer screenshot.

When you host a game, it saves a log file on a server so everyone that wants to join a game can see who´s online, which means that they don´t have to write ip numbers.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 13:01
Sound great! That is the same tactic I'm using on my multiplayer pirate game.

Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 14:29
I need to know how you make that landscape destroyable!
Can you give us the source code or something..
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 22:55
No, I won´t give you the source code.
I think I´ve written before how I made the landscape destroyable, I paste a black circle on a bitmap, then I grab the image and use it as an texture on a 3d plane on which I make all black pixels transparent. The thing is, if you do it that way it will run slow on higher res images. Andrew Neale solved this with memblocks, but since I already had written a big part of the program and since I´m not so familiar with memblocks, I did as I always do, solve it in a much more complicated and unnecessary way.
I first split the whole image and 3d plains into 100 small ones, and then calculate which images that the circle should be pasted on, and so on...

Good luck Dogga!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 13:12
Did you also get a strange problem where the image after editing wasn't automatically transparent despite it being the transparent color? If you know what I mean, which I doubt, then how did you get round it? I found a way but I'm not sure there must be a better way. Maybe it is just caused by the memblocks.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 17:16
Sorry andrew, but that did never occur for me...
Except when I used the set camera to image command(a long time ago).

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 17:50 Edited at: 9th Sep 2006 17:53
So you didn't have to try to get around it then? Oh well. Take a look at what I was mesing around with. I've made some level generation code now like the one in Worms. I plug in a black and white image for the terrain and tell it how many objects to add and set a theme and it makes something like this. I still have to sort out the bridges though at the moment it chooses a random start and finish point. I'm going to make it joing up islands or something like that.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:24:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:24:26