Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 09:57
Well,I've come to a conclusion that dp is perfect for my game. I have been slowly adding to a little fps game I've been developing,and I am just about to complete things with it. I'm gonna add a character controller,then I'm gonna make my banshee fly-able,then I'm gonna give my gun a better timer. But before that,what is the best way of doing bullets in dp? I've been messing around with spheres,but they are either too fast,too slow,or just pack too much of a punch. I can never get it just right. So should I use ray casting or what? I read somewhere,I think in the older documentation,that raycasting could slow your game down.

Woohoo. DP is finally released!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 10:10 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2006 10:10
Native DBP raycasting is very slow. Since then, Sparky's great DLL really changed that, so raycasting has been a viable option for a long time now.

DP has raycasting built in. You're raycasting to physics bodies, so it should be very fast. That is definitely what you should use. If the bullet path intersects a physics body, you apply force at that spot, in that direction. The results should be nice, especially coupled with either an appropriate animation, or ragdolling, or both.

If you're using a missle, then you wouldn't use raycasting. The missle will be moving much slower anyway, so it won't be a problem.

Come see the WIP!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 11:00
I'm pleased to hear you like DP Good luck with making your game.
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 23:47
For ray casting,does a normal raycast return if a cloth object is hit,or would I have to use a cloth ray cast too?

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 06:27
Yay,I finally almost have a flying vehicle done! I'm just applying forces and rotating with arrowkeys,but its pretty cool anyhow. The cool thing is that this could also be used for underwater vehicles,and water-top vehicles will be very simple. I love how this makes it easy to make any type of vehicle you want,I also have ideas for anti-grav ones(like in halo,where if you near the ground,a force is applied on a certain spot of the vehicle,making it NEAR impossible for you to hit the ground.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 09:16:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 09:16:31