Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How many 3D figures could you have at a time...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
If I was doing a step time game - the player moves his team of 3-4 units, and then the computer moves the enemy. When it came to the computer's move, if there were say 100 (or more) enemy to move all done in 3D (seen for example from above). Could the software cope with this?

Basically when the computer came to do its turn, I'd work out each of the enemies action (eg: move or attack), and then move them all.

Now in an ideal world you'd see all 100+ of them (or at least all the ones in line of sight etc) walk a step or two for example. Worst case you'd see an arrow drawn for each one showing where each is going to move to, and then they'd just move the enemy to their now location.

With a 100 or more 3D figures, what sort of performance can be expected?

Thanks!
Dream And Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 14:29
You should be fine!

Just write a loop that handles the movement of each of the 100 objects a little bit at a time.(and animation, if doing keyframe anim!)

Then keeping looping it 'til they are all in their final positions.

Pretty much any computer should give a reasonable framerate, but be warned - it depends on the complexity of your objects!

"You get what everyone gets, you get a lifetime!" - Death, The Sandman Library

First you Dream, then you ... - Neil Gaiman, 2001
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 14:39 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2006 14:39
You also need to use timer based movement, to account for the speed differences with so many units.

So instead of...

Quote: "move object obj,5"

You'd do something more like

Very simplified version to make it understandable. Basically, I move it according to how many milliseconds have passed. You should animate the objects in the same manner. The result is a game that always runs the same speed, no matter how fast or slow it runs on someone's computer.

Come see the WIP!
NeilF
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent... Sounds VERY promising then! I want hordes of creatures in this step time game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 05:27:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 05:27:44