Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [LOCKED] Clean up the litter, revitalize forums ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it may have been said before, but this needs to be said again.
A lot of the info, links, tutorials etc are out of date, the links are all expired or the websites no longer exist, its quite discouraging to a newcomer to be directed towqards a bunch of information that is no longer available. Most of the posts are 2-3 yrs old.
The effect of all this out of date information is twofold, on the one hand you have newcomers looking for information, who probably just give up after a few frustrating days,the other hand you have another group of people who could potentially be provideing new, up to date info, but dont because they see all these references, and stickies to tutorials, and who wants to repeat something someone else has already done.
Please dont get me wrong, I appreciate that the site is even here , and what is available is for the most part good stuff, its just after clicking on the 100th link that is no longer in existence, well its frustrating, couldnt one of the mods clean this stuff out, threads about proposed tutorials that go nowhere, seems that a couple years ago there was a lot of good intentions, but not a lot of follow through, dead links, that kind of thing. It would do a lot to make the site seem a little more up to date if there wernt so many dead zones. Again thanks for listening.
PS: I realise I may have posted in, not the most appropriate spot, my apologies, mods are free to move, of course, if you like .
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 23:57
I can't tidy this place up, but I believe that the tutorials in my sig are all up to date. (Even if my sig doesn't say "Tutorial City", click it and you will find it)

Graiskye
Years of Service
User Offline
I really dont want people to get the wrong idea, its just a suggestion.
There are a number of threads that are just fine, but there are also a number of out of daters, thats all.
Thanks for the link above, Ive been searching for that one, came across it the other day, but then I couldnt recall exactly where it was. Cheers.
flock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 01:18
Hmm, well, that's great, Vink. I agree with you, Graiskye, that the forums do need to be updated and cleaned up. Maybe we could bottle all posts over 6 to 12 months old into some archive? Or delete them entirely. There could also be someone to delete copies and faulty links.

a.k.a. "flockhound"
Jaded Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 20:57
It sounds like a lot of work to clean it up, but I have felt the frustration of trying to search for things with endless dead ends also. Its a very real problem.

"So it goes."
Graiskye
Years of Service
User Offline
Who cares how much work it is, that is crap excuse of the lazy.
'Well gee Id like to put out that fire, but its just so much darn work.'
I quit this stupid piece of crap that is DarkBasicPro, feel sorry for all the people that get ripped off by TGC.
I mean they cant even bring themselves to document their flagship product, or is their flagship FPSCreator, probably.
While one looks at this site and could think wow look at all the support, it is only after getting into it(the forums, the site), one discovers its really just a small group of, for the most part, generous, and helpful USERS, trying to help each other out(I commend you all, your patience and understanding are virtuos).
The contributions by TGC are laughable, none of the links work, the tutorials for the most part do not work, its like the worlds most confusing game of pass the buck.
Im moving on to real language with real support, and yes for the most part that just means DOCUMENTATION, a manual, a reference book. Had enough of this pseudo language.
I urge anyone thinking of buying this, or getting involved in programming, to just skip this whole idea, and move on to greener pasture, if you must use a game maker type software, go chek out Torques Garage Games,or even Blitz, at least the sites are up to date. Later.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 09:01
bye mate

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 05:33:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 05:33:13