Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Using Signs 3.1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 23:23 Edited at: 6th Aug 2006 23:27
Spend a lot of time over the last few days testing the new version. Signs is pretty much the way I want it to be. It's open for creating texture overlays now. There are only 3 files that need to be created, the actual overlay, the mask and an icon that will appear in Signs. My goal for the past month was to be able to take like a standard brick texture and easily give it a stained look or take a plain marble texture and easily create a tiled floor texture. These are both possible now and with the ability to create your own overlays it should be easy to make a consistant look through out your level.

To showcase how this all works I put a little video together.

http://www.fpsconline.com/churchScene1-divxChurchScene1-DIVx.html
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 00:21
Great software tschwartz! I can see some features that MagicFPS doesnt have.

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 00:45
Thank brummel,

I actually bought magicfps and it has some great features also.
Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 10:17
Tschwarz, how you make cool lights?

Signs 3.1 is free?

SIXOFT - This is not just a game, this is a SIXOFT game.
Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 10:27 Edited at: 7th Aug 2006 14:59
I understandt, version 2 is free and version 3 is shareware.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 11:35
I made a video for him but it looks like you've made your own. What program did you use?

AE

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 14:58
Hey AE,
You know how he create cool lights in church?

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 17:02
Simons spritepack.

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 17:19
Nice work, again. I will be watching for this version.

Crazy Grandpa
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 18:48
Cain't wait for the update.

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 18:58
thx Brummel( FredP)

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 19:05 Edited at: 7th Aug 2006 19:05
No Simons, Sinistar is right. Where is download link for super lights

Bug in version 2 frames error!

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 20:22
AE - Once I had the recordings I really wanted to send them to you to put them together and add narration, fading etc... that professional touch you have. But, I thought you said you were a little busy. So, I did the best I could. I am happy I got that far but, think it's a little boring in the first part.

I used camtasia and fraps.

I want to create a couple more for tutorials, if I do the screen captures will you put them together. I'll pay for your service of course.

Yes...
I have to say the Sprite Pack is one of my favorites.
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?f=sprite_pack_1

Johny English:
Signs II will be retired, I will make a Free version of Signs III that will not have all the features of the paid version but, will do more than Signs II.
Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 21:15
I will downloading the Signs III

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 21:20
What? 20$
I am czech, can I pay dollars or euro?
0nly this is my question.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 22:12
Sure, i'd be glad to help you tschwarz

Just tell me what you want and we'll arange something. I'm going on holiday in 12 days so i would better if you can get them done sooner, since i'm at work 3 or those 12 days, rather than later.

AE

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 22:25
I moved this from the Showcase forum.

I appologise if this has caused anyone any inconvenience.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 22:49 Edited at: 8th Aug 2006 01:19
No problem uman - thanks.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 09:45
Just wondering if you have sent out emails with a link to download the new one? I didn't get an email yet.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 10:00
Not yet, just fixed a few little things that were reported. Will do a little more testing before sending the link to all the registered emails. I should be able to send them out by the end of this week.

I will post something in the news section on fpscOnline.com when the emails have been sent out. Once you see that and you have not received the email for the upgrade send me an email.
CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 10:27
Im so happy the updates ready...

I bought both signs 3 and magicfps both are great and have certian features that the other one doesnt have... I am so happy you fixed the texture overlay I was happy with it before but your right it could use improvement but mixing images was so easy I can't wait to see how its changed...

Give a heads up in the forum when the email is sent out please that way I can get to my email I used when I purchased signs 3....

Thanks again for a wonderfull product that works sweet with FPSC

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 17:40 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 17:41
Question:
Is there a way to control say the x scale(if thats left to right) with this or anyway even in the fpe? Scales only mentioned 3 times in the manual and tells me nothing. I tried "ScaleX =70" just to see if it would work and no dice...heh

See the deal is that on making some images stuff distorts ever so slightly like the attached image where I used a sign instead of the added polys for a real object. the fire alarm turned out great but the extinguisher is a lil fat.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 18:29
CLiPs
Thanks and I'll post here also.

Locrian
I have not found a way, it appears that fpsc only scales proportionally.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 20:52
OK that kinda sucks.

Heres another question. Since you've screwed around so much with the way FPSC deals with images.

How bad do image files contribute to the lag that FPSC is so famous for. See with the ease of Signs3 I'd love to make many segments for the same game sections, so I can reduse the tiling effect and add more variety. This would be easy by just keeping the psd for a section and adding/hiding things to make "like" tiled wall segments. I've never seen anyone do that for their games yet as creating multiple segments of all similar nature would have been time consuming. You know what I'm saying right? Like make:

Hall_Hotel_base board cracked
Hall_Hotel_small hole
Hall_Hotel_medium hole
Hall_Hotel_fire-extinguisher(heh solve my x scale problem)

ect, ect. Just a way to get variances of the texture so things don't look so tiled. This would be so easy to do in Signs. Basically I'm thinking if I can ease the polygon load with more images more the way Half-life2 dose I think things would look allot better.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 08:43
Well first I want to say I in no way feel that I am an expert on this subject. I only base my opinion on theory and what I have seen.

So with that said. I believe the engine will load a single mesh and create instances of that mesh when it is used more than once. That is why Signs does not create a new mesh (.x) file everytime you create a sign. There are only three meshes square.x, horizontal.x and vertical.x. So to answer your previous question your image should be scaled outside of signs to fit the mesh (your fire extinguisher) that is the trade off, I decided when I wrote Signs that the 3 meshes would have to be generic to work in most cases (there is nothing holding anyone back from creating a new mesh and modifying the fpe file though. The same goes for each module currently in Signs, signs always uses the same mesh, for walls, floors etc....so in theory they should only load once. As for images fpsc will convert the images to the .dds file format. Now as far as images I use several variations, sort of like fpsc does but I like to place them manually. I have not seen a lag using multiple textures on the same meshes. I have also not seen a difference between using the lo res and higher res settings in signs. I am not saying only use one room mesh I am just saying each time you use the same mesh you should be saving resources. Same would go for things like railings single mesh carried through the level and mix the textures up. (Note: I have not investigated the power of 2's concept with fpsc. just in case someone out there noticed that Signs does not save some of the images in the power of two's)

What you are thinking of doing is what I was after when creating the overlays for signs. A way to take textures and apply an overlay. be it moulding, water level marks, etc... Create the effect (overlay) once, add it to signs, and be able to apply it to a texture inside signs in a few seconds).

Signs was designed with me in mind. I use my own program .. really .. I use it a lot for placement. Meaning when I am designing my levels I use signs to put flat objects in for placement. When I get to the point of what I feel is a good story, level design etc... I will then decide what can stay flat and what I need to hire a modeller to do. . a good example is the church scene.. I will probably keep the stained glass windows flat but, hire someone to model the cross. Now that is probably a programmers way of thinking or a non modellers way of thinking but, it works for me.

Now there is really no technical documentaion on how fpsc does certain things so the above is only theory and should be taken with a grain of salt with no concrete proof and that's my opinion without commitment.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 03:41
Just wanted to post that the email finally went out to the registered users. If you purchased Signs or received it on any of the promotions you should receive an email link shortly.

I hope everyone enjoys it.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 06:53
Thanks again,Tschwarz.Signs has always been one of the most useful apps that I have.

CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 07:54
I just got the new version loaded up and all I can say is WOW!

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 10:01
Never got the email?

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 13:01
That is one cool video.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 17:13
Thanks to all..enjoy and be sure to let me know of any problems or suggestions.

Candles .. You should have the email now. Sorry

FredP .. Thank you, It took ten times longer to create that video than it took me to write Signs (joking but, pretty close) I should have released the bloopers for that video.

and I'll try to update the manual soon.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 20:44
Nope not yet. I email you again.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 21:30
Candles Games - sorry never received another email, Last I heard I gave you a few things to try. Specifically, does the previous version still install, since we know that it installed before. I'm just trying to see if the new install is some how different. I'll send you a new email for you to reply to also.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 22:38
Dang gmail was calling your email spam. I got it now.

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 18:35
Hey tschwarz, can I give on my forum your programm?

Shadows
Years of Service
User Offline
Where I can find the Sings 1 or 2,3?
I am find all the my internet time.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 19:55
Johny English,

You may post the lite version only on your forum, the lite version does just about everything the full version does except transparency. Please do not post the full version, I know you would not do that but, had to say it anyway.

Shadows, Signs can be found at www.fpscOnline.com or click in the web button below.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 20:40
Tschwarz,
As long as people are asking do you want me to post a banner/link to your site on my web site?
And how is Screens coming along?

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 21:34
Sure Fred, that is kind of you.

I'll create a new thread for Screens to start getting some feed back.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 22:08
I should have the link to your site up on my site by next week.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 02:18
Any plans for this to make segments with no exterior walls? Just something to think about for those poly counting nerds.

And I don't mean just walls but perhaps a check mark by each section....like you did ceilings. It would be nice to make a segment much like youd make in the TGC segment editor except with proper corners.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 03:16
Hummm, never thought about that but, if you will never show the outside wall then there is not much reason for it. I'll play around with it later...that is if I can drag myself away from Dark Physics for a few hours.

Thanks for the suggestion Locrian I'll let you know. I don't think it should be a problem.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 03:41
Yeah I love your prog for making segments....That would have to be the only complaint if you can call it that. I'm sure lots around use segments where ya never see the outside(or out side of a particular room anyways) for frame rate reasons.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 10:12
Locrian - I sent you an updated version that will create a room with no outside wall. Let me know if you find any problems.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 18:15 Edited at: 7th Oct 2006 22:04
Oh great. I'll test this out today and let ya know what happens. Heh, now I have tons of rooms to remake.

Thanks, and I'll be in contact.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 22:09 Edited at: 7th Oct 2006 22:18
OK, heres the first test.

Below is my test situation. Its 2 rooms using 6 segments of each for a total of 12 segments, 2 doors and the celilings for the whole thing.

The test rooms

The segments using the old signsIII exe totalled 1604 polys at it's highest point.

The segments using the new exe totalled 1364 polys at it's highest point

No bleeding occured. No decernable diferences from one map to another. But saved 240 polys at it's highest point only using 12 segemnts as the test.

At a rate of 20 polys per segment this can really add up on any final tally one may have with a finished map. I belive we have a winner Terry. Thank you.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 00:32
From this day forward it shall be known as the "Locrian Feature"

I'll test for about a week and then create a new install with the update. If you run across any problems let me know.

I believe this was a very good suggestion for interior only segments. Even for people that like to create there own room segments without using Signs.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks very good work tschwarz cant wait.

Taken fpsc to its limits

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 16:38:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 16:38:18