Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / quick update on kitchen pack

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 01:21
hi guys, I should be done the the kitchen pack tonight. I just wanted to keep you updated on its progress, also do you have any specific items you would like to have included. before i release it.

note that the salt and pepper shaker will change, i had a recomendation to make them more clyendrical than they are.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 02:42
Nice work; I'm sure some people will find them useful in various scenes.

-Keith

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 03:02
They still look very high poly and no good for mass placement in games. Iam not sure you understand how games render polys, but the more you have on a model, the more time it takes to render and the slower thegame will be.
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 03:27
each model will have a screenshot of the poly count. and i assure you that none of these have a poly count higher than 350 max. so they should be ok for multiple placements.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 03:31
Thats fine then, just make sure you dont have over 1000 polys for some thing simple like these, they can still look great with a low poly count.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 03:37 Edited at: 9th Aug 2006 03:38
same applies for texture sizes, if its a small object, spare yourself some time and go for a 128 or 256, or even if there is little diffuse, you may be able to get away with a 64

coming along nicely, good luck with the pack

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 03:49
thank you i didnt know about the texure size. that will be a big help. by the way what would be a good rule of thumg to go by when setting a poly goal say for exapmle the mug that i did, what would you shoot for on that? i currently have it down to 349 and it looks ok but......i know i need to spare the polys on these im just wondering what a good target would be?
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 03:57 Edited at: 9th Aug 2006 04:02
i like to judge by size and importance, this being said, it should be as little as possible, and i mean little, you may want to have a look at some of the "kitchen-like" stuff already in FPSC, for instance, that mug and the wine bottle, see how many polygons TGC used for that, aswell as their texture sizes (ofcourse, dont be afraid to make large textures, then the user can dim them down later, or you can)

i'd probably aim for about 70-100 for a mug, keep in mind the triangles that make up the polygon are important, which is why its best to stay with quads, or map out a clean polygon flow, so you can estimate how many triangles (2 for a quad), if its looking too low for your liking, let the texture do the talking, its very well (and obviously known that some detials are best left to the texture, because they present an almost equal or better amount of detail, which is why we're seing normal maps fly up everywhere nowadays) , you can also smooth the normals for the round effect without wasting memory

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 04:09
thank you very much for that insite and education i appriciate it very much thanks. i will apply these rules to my work.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 04:13
spiffing good

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:39:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:39:29