Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Has anybody gotten normal maps /lightmaps/ect. to work on character entities?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 12:06
If so, can you post what each texture should be named and what are the relavant changes to be made in the Character's .fpi file. to allow them to be displayed propperly. I did a search and found something on segments with normal maps but not light maps and such.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 23:01
this is extremelly easy.

to apply shader effects, it is simply all in the filename, to get normal maps working on characters, use "bumpent.fx" then you need to rename the diffuse texture (basically, the texture) to include "_D" or "_D2" at the end. "_D" is the diffuse map without details, kinda like a color map, which the shaders apply over, rather "_D2" is an alternative with the effects baked in, say, for non-shader games, but you still want a decent look.

so make sure your texture ends with one of those 2, and set it in the .fpi

with bumpent, it will search for a texture with and identical filename, but with "_N" at the end and use that for a normal map, same applying for specular maps etc. etc.

all very simple when you think about it

gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 23:34

Just to cover all bases, here's the same info for lightmaps, as applied to the figure in the above screen capture...

;visualinfo
textured = droid_1_D2.dds
effect = effectbank\illuminationent\illuminationent.fx
castshadow = 0

The lightmap is 'droid_1_I.dds'

Cheers

- Graham

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 23:37
Alright GPS, you're not allowed to post screenshots anymore; your stuff is way too good.

-Keith

gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:24 Edited at: 12th Aug 2006 08:56

Careful now Keith, or I may be forced to cry havoc, and let slip the repair-bots of war...

They're small, but very determined

(With apologies to D13 for the temporary thread derailment!)

Cheers

- Graham

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:29
You're going to make some poor little kid cry with screenshots like that. Enough with the Doom 3 looking segments/entities!

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:43
Is there any tools for making lightmaps? Or any special techniques?

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:50 Edited at: 5th Nov 2006 19:41
... [mod edit] you gps

lol, very nice d3'ish segments

gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:59 Edited at: 12th Aug 2006 01:01
Keith & Jon - you know, the funny thing is that with the exception of the door, all the segements and textures on show here are derived from FPSC stock, just chopped up, re-coloured and recombined.

Go to texturebank\scifi\corridors\metal and have a peep at 'Cd_f_01_D2.dds' and 'Cd_a_01_D2.dds'.

I started poking round in the texturebank one evening, and realised that I hadn't even seen half of the stuff that was available to me. It was a real eye-opener!

brummel - not really any special technique, all I do is open my _D2 texture, create a new layer and flood fill it with black. Then I reduced the layer to 50%, so I can see the _D2 texture underneath, and paint sold white over the light sources. Finally I bring the new layer back up to 100%, soften the image a couple of times and save it with an _I suffix. BTW, in most cases you can safely reduced the lightmap image to half the size of the original texture unless it's very complex. With stuff like small, rectangular lights, you might even get away with reducing to 25%

Cheers

- Graham

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 01:37
Thank you very much Graham!

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 02:59
Awsome guys Thanks this is all the info exactly what I needed. PLus the screens to show it in use really kicked some butt so I didn't mind at all. once again thanks!!

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 01:06
I dont really understand...

I have been playing around with this now but i cant seem to get it working...how should i set up the fpe if i want to illuminationmap a character? Not like this i guess...:

;visualinfo
textured = SAS_3_D2.tga
texturedi = SAS_3_I.tga
effect = effectbank\illuminationent\illuminationent.fx

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 01:17
i dont think you need 'texturedi'

gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 01:26 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 01:29
Brummel - as far as I can tell, you don't need the 'texturedi = SAS_3_I.tga' part at all. What seems to happen is that when FPSC encounters the line
'effect = effectbankilluminationentilluminationent.fx' it checks the current folder for a file that has the same name as the texture map, but with _I instead of _D2 at the end if it.

So long as you have 'SAS_3_D2.tga' and 'SAS_3_I.tga' in the same folder it will automatically use 'SAS_3_I.tga' for the lightmap, without having to be directed to it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

- Graham

EDIT

Cross-posted with Jon, his is the more concise answer LOL

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 02:06
It works now but instead i get this problem: The D2 texture isnt visible and the black on the I texture isnt transparent and so isnt the white...

gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 04:57
I'm wondering if it might be a graphics card issue?

What happens if you use the WW2 Skull character? This is the only stock FPSC character that I can think of that has glowing eyes. Does it show up okay?

BTW, it just occurred to me to point out that FPSC is very twitchy about changing shader effects on a character one loaded. The only way to be sure what effect your changes are having is to exit and re-launch FPSC.

As a direct example - after loading the Skull entity I checked it's .fpi script and noticed that it was using 'illuminationmap.fx' for the shader effect instead of the more usual 'illuminationent.fx'

Out of curiosity I changed the .fpi to 'illuminationent.fx', ran a test game, and got a black & white skull floating towards me. I exited FPSC, relaunched, tried again and this time the skull showed up just as it was supposed to - with glowing eyes.

Hope this helps.

- Graham

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 13:11
Wohoo, it worked when i restarted! Thank you very much for your help Graham, i really appreciate that you didnt grow tired with me asking for help the whole time.

Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 19:39
Can anyone help me out? I think I'm going to lose my mind.

Doesn't work

Also doesn't work

And this doesn't work either

If I don't get a solid black texture (when I renamed it to _N btw) on my entity it just shows up as if it isn't normal mapped.

m10wolv_N.dds and m10wolv_D.dds are in the same folder as m10wolv_D.
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 01:18
I've had all I can stand and I can't stands no mores.

Does this look normal mapped or what? If it is, I don't see any difference in quality, but I'm sure the normal map hasn't been applied.

Here is the entire fpe code:

A screenshot of the tank with the above .fpe has been attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 02:07
Thanks Jon! You did help Me with an old problem, by talking about shaders!

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 20:35:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 20:35:50