Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Simple Game Toolkit

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 21:01
looks like a cool project.
whatever happened to you're pea-guy games?

Intel Pentium-D 2.8GHz, 512MB DDR2 433, Ati Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB PCI-E, Windows Vista RC1 / XP Professional SP2
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2006 08:01
Ow,you use Yabb,my computer doesnt like Yabb.pl...it never loads on my computer...

to bad...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2006 12:48
Raven:
Pea-Guy isn't my character and I completed the game I worked on years ago. The info is still available on my website.

AL:
That's too bad, that means that you can't access my forum at all

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2006 18:06
i know...i once had Yabb myself,but i couldnt acces it for some reason.cant be security,as its set very low...

oh well,ill just download latest version.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 14:04 Edited at: 6th Oct 2006 14:05
This week I've been working hard on the new BlueGUI based editor. I've realised that if I'm gonna code 4 hours a day I need 4 cups of chocolate coffe So far I've solved all problems I can, there are 2 bugs in BlueGUI regarding frames in frames and radio buttons in frames. As you can see I will add Mapper and Player to the program later, I just hope that Lee implements image cropping inside windows for DBP or Mapper and Player will look a bit weird when the image is scalled down horrizontally. A lot of time have also been spent learning BlueGUI and setting up usefull functions etc to handle all the parts of the GUI. I've not yet had the time to work on the game files insert and save functions so I hope to do so next week but I will be bussy with other things on three of the days so there won't be much left over to code on.

To confuse everybody and to show SGTs language support I'm posting today's shot with a Swedish translation The black areas are supposed to be text.

Comments are welcome.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 14:55
Don't take this the wrong way Digaw, but I wish you'd expand into NDS homebrew. The PC is quite a crowded marketplace for this stuff, but there's massive potential in handhelds, esp the NDS. I know you have mobile gaming projects too, so it might be a nice niche for you to fill, easy game creation on handheld consoles.

I'm sure I've probably bored you with this before, but I miss SEUCK, it was a little game creation package, you had a sprite editor and map editor, and with that you could make cool little shoot em ups, usually in the space of a couple of days. Being able to WIFI send a finished game to your buddies that you made yourself could be huge. It's really an idea that would be best for a NDS commercial project, like walk into game and pick up 'NDS Game Creator', draw your sprites with the stylus, then swap finished games with NDS owners wirelessly.

The homebrew and dev kit scene for the NDS is very strong, if you were ever considering a potential money-maker, that would be a good angle I think. Personally I could not walk past a product like that, I'd have to buy it, regardless of price.

''Stick that in your text and scroll it!.''
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 23:08
I'm doing this in DBP because that's something I know and like to use. I've been trying so many other things lately without any success and I'm just glad I've returned to DBP. I really have no clue on how to code on an NDS and I don't own one either. I like beeing able to do SGT in a high level language that I already know how to use.

You've not talked to me about SEUCK, I've heard about it before from others but never used it myself. While your idea sounds really great I have a lot of faith in my project. There are some important people who are interested in the project as well. I know there's a lot of competition in this market but I also believe that I can bring something new, otherwise I would be using something else and not bother with SGT.

All the things I've talked about in this thread and elsewhere is just the tip of the iceberg (funny word, berg means mountain in swedish). I also know my shots don't look like much but it's still so very early in development. I got so much planned and DBP and BlueGUI really helps me getting there quite quickly. DBP is also powerfull enough for me to make this happen.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 19:45
Of all game making programs I've tried none works like SGT. RPG Maker XP might be the one that's most similar but I've only tried it briefly once so I'm not sure. I'll be checking it out more later. The differences of course are that SGT is not focused on a single genre and have no scripting language.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 08:00
RPGMXP is only RPG,however now SGT is a free roam game with walk to level end only functions.

i think SGT could use a scripting language like:

just a thought to make it more easy for multiple game genre capability.

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 08:51 Edited at: 9th Oct 2006 08:54
Quote: "The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. "

Edit: Whoops didn't see the 2nd page. but the beta testers announcement page won't load.

Your mom has been erased by a mod from you telling too many "your mom" jokes.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 11:52
AL:
SGT is still way too early in development to be compared to anything. But with the ideas I have for SGT it's most like RMXP then anything else I've seen. Found some tutorial movies about RMXP last night. You won't need any script to use SGT when it's done. I will be working on damage and killing etc soon and you'll see how it'll work.

dabip:
Can you get my forum to load? Click here. The beta info loads fine for me.

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 06:00
Nope..

Quote: "
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
"

Your mom has been erased by a mod from you telling too many "your mom" jokes.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 10:03
Maybe you have the same problem with my forum as Accel Leon. I might switch to SMF later but right now I just don't have the time to figure out how it works. Sorry

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 19:46
For those that Can't read it:
Quote: "
So, you're interested in becomming a Simple Game Toolkit beta tester? As a beta tester you will recive new versions before every body else. You will give feedback on new features and the layout of the program but also check for bugs. I also want to hear your suggestions regarding new features.

I'm interested in media to use with SGT. So, if you have any skills with game art or other game related media and feel like sharing then you have a good chance of beeing selected as a beta tester. If you have previous expereince with making maps for other games I'm looking for you as well. I'm also interested in getting SGT tested on older computers. Got some old system around or perhaps a few that you can run speed tests on then there's a good chance for you as well. Minimum requirement is DirectX 9.0c.

So the boring stuff. If you apply to become a beta tester you agree to the following: You won't spread any information that has not been made public and you won't spread any beta versions of SGT. You won't work on any similar project. You are free to quit whenever you want and for whatever reason you want but I can also cancel your beta membership any time for any reason. Your name will appear in the credits for every version that you test. The beta test will be held on this forum so you have to sign up once you have been accepted.

To apply send me an email to admin@digitalawakening.net, subject: "Beta Tester""

I'm back! Great to be back | Watch out for one of my projects soon that will be finished
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2006 10:08
Chris:
I would have posted that but since I'm planning to use my forum in the testing process they will have problem if they can't already read the info.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2006 15:04
luckely i already would be a tester

(NOTE: im Accel Leon,changed name )

My arrival shocked some people maybe...but i dont seem to care anyway...behold my mights!
-Prince Of Darkness
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2006 19:32 Edited at: 21st Oct 2006 19:32
SGT is shaping up to be one solid program. Took me like a day to get the hang of the scrollbars but now SGT can be used in smal resolutions as well, or you can just resize the window to whatever size you like. I need to code a folder scan function, and some more fields etc to store the data needed to replace Game.txt. I also haven't brought Mapper and Player up to date yet. And I'm thinking of doing a nice new level with some free textures from LimeFly. Looks like an early next week release as long as nothing else comes up.

Some people have been having problems with my forum and I've had some of that myself lately. I've been talking to Josh over at Coders Turf and he's bussy adding project management and beta testing features to his site and right now it seems beta testing will be held over there. I'm also planning to close down this forum. I realised that SGT takes up all my time and I have no time for worrying about this forum and I already rely on CT for hosting and will be using their upcomming newsletter feature. I'm also posting this blog over there already and now that they have the LimeFly texture gallery added to the site it just make sence to move over there.

If you're interested you can find the texture gallery right here. It's great stuff

And here comes a shot of SGT running in 800x600:

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 19:43 Edited at: 1st Nov 2006 19:44
From my latest blog update:

Nov 01 - P.1.0 complete!

Finally I've completed P.1.0. CT have some problems with file uploading so you'll have to wait until we can sort it out. Download here

This update have taken a whole lot longer then I had imagined and it didn't help that I had to go away on wednesday and that I was really tired the rest of last week. The delay in blog updates is due to an exam I had early saturday and the migraine I had on sunday. This week I've been working really hard to complete P.1.0 ASAP because now I have other things comming up that I have to work on. I'll be really busy the next 7 days.

On thursday next week I will start on fixing the beta testing, updating my webpage and start planing out P.1.1 in detail. The next big thing is the new object system, P.1.X is all about object interaction. Now that I've worked so hard on Editor I expect that adding additional features will be a lot easier. Also comming for P.1.1 is a propper manual update because I just didn't have the time for that this time. In a few weeks my theory classes will be over and I can start working on SGT full time so I really hope to get a lot of stuff woring when that happens.

Here comes two new shots. The 1st is the new map I've created using images from Coders Turf and the 2nd one is a shot of how images are used to set up walls in Editor. SGT scans your project folder for images and creating walls etc is now really simple!

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 19:43

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 16:33
uhm,coders turf tells me P1.0 release doesnt exist...it tells the the file to download is gone!

My arrival shocked some people maybe...but i dont seem to care anyway...behold my mights!
-Prince Of Darkness
Lordcorm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 01:20
I have no idea how you people make stuff like this the stuff that creats games....
Digital Awakening can you send me the sorce code for this, you dont have to because i would understand why but if you can can you plz send it to lordcorm_123@hotmail.com becasue i dont realy understand how do to this kind of stuff because i wanna make a Game Creator my self....

Thanks

People think DarkBASIC is for noobs and isnt professional, but i think its the future of game programming. Do you agree with me? Just reply to this thread saying you do.
DarkBASIC for ever!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 09:23
POD:
Yeah, some problems with the file uploads, Josh should be fixing that today.

Lord:
Sorry but I'm not sharing any source from SGT, I'll be selling it later and I'd be sabotaging myself by sharing anything.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 18:49 Edited at: 11th Nov 2006 18:50
Finally P.1.0 can be downloaded.

I've noticed after the release that Player won't accept changes to the camera settings. I will look into this for P.1.1

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 20:42 Edited at: 11th Nov 2006 20:42
I have translated SGT to Dutch,Theres a screenshot attached and the language file is attached,and a screenshot.

EDIT:

screeny in next post.

...No Signature here...

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 20:43
Screenshot.

...No Signature here...

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 22:24
POD:
Cool But you had accidently removed a line of "</>" so SGT messed up the text. Here's a new file.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 22:28
Here's a shot, cropped down, of the corrected file.

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 22:49
Quote: "Cool But you had accidently removed a line of "</>" so SGT messed up the text. Here's a new file.
"

OOps...

also,i translated it directly,not thinking of what it might mean,some parts i couldnt get translated,other i could.
But its like 95% Dutch.

it took me a while to figure out how to work with SGT's Language system.but it was simpler then i thought.

Might get my hands on a German version once.

...No Signature here...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 23:46
I heard it's like XML but I've newer used XML myself. It's a very flexible way to store and use values.

If you want to keep translating SGT then I'd be happy to support your language files

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 10:22
Ill try to get my hands on the German Version today.

and well,ill see what it becomes!

...No Signature here...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 18:45
The Dutch language file can now be downloaded from the SGT page.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 18:48 Edited at: 12th Nov 2006 18:52
...when Playing a game,My computer went off and i forgot to save the german version!!!

only 5% of it is left

EDIT:

Oh,and its cool my language file is on there!

...No Signature here...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 11:05
New version of Player available that have the camera bug fixed. Download here

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 15:49 Edited at: 18th Nov 2006 15:49
This last week I fully implemented a new script system for Editor and it's way easier and faster to make changes to the GUI now. The language file have recived an update so it's easier to manage and to translate. Both Mapper and Player have also been updated to work with the slightly changed .sgt files. And I've also made SGT start up instantly.

The first thing I'll be adding next week is a bag swipe melee attack, sound effects and background music. You can see I've started on the Editor part already in the shot below. Starting next week I'll also be working full time on SGT for 4 weeks straight. Minus a few days I'll be away or bussy with other things.

If you've read my plans for P.1.1 you've seen a list of some cool things. I've decided to split up the previous plans into two updates. HUD options, score and time as well as screens and transitions will be included in P.1.2 instead. I'm planning to improve the system that deals with default values by including them into the new scipt but that'll be included in P.1.2 as well.

The next big thing for me next week will be the new object system. Not only will you be able to create and manage objects but you'll be able to break and push them ingame. This is a bit of a challenge as it requires new advanced GUI elements as well as updates to Mapper and Player. These new GUI elements will be very usefull in the future for managing all sorts of things.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 22:20 Edited at: 26th Nov 2006 22:20
This week started with me implementing the bag swipe, background music and sound effects for movement and melee. At the moment space is the melee attack button but I'll be adding in key bindings in P.1.2 or P.1.3. Futher updates include: A smaler treeview that gives more space to the data part, mousewheel scroll, no bottom scroll as it was only needed on screens smaler then 800x600 and I've done some restructuring using the new scripted GUI.

Been working on the object management system, take a look at the shot below. You can create objects and groups to manage the objects better by rightclicking on the data treeview. The renaming and deleting doesn't work 100% yet but that's next on my todo list before updating Mapper and Player.

The object system is set up so that you can split up a single image into multiple objects or create an animated object from a single image. The sound is for hitting the object without destroying it. When destroying objects you can use another animation like particles flying etc. and another sound if you like.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 22:12 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 22:16
P.1.1 is now complete and available for download.

Among the changes you can find: A brand new object management system, circle based melee attack and destructible objects, an updated manual and various updates to the editor. Check the download page or manual for more info. Also check the download page for 3 new shots.

[center]
Game development made simple!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 18:39:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 18:39:30