Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / codename GF - MMO

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 00:16
My game is set in the not so far future where man kind has exspanded it's borders from the earth and now owns colonies on a few planets. A new war has erupted bettween the 5 main colonised planets whixh is growing in conflict at every passing moment.

Players get to choose one of these 5 sides or even neither and will get to fight along side hundreds of others and get promotions to command squads of their own. Players can specilise in many weapon types and class types from medics to engineers and from pilots to snipers.

You can fight on the land and fortify yourself and your squad in fortresses and assult the enemy to conquer planets. Or you can fight in space to stop transporters or conduct raids on enemy cargo ships.

Now for some screen shots:

Walking around the Steinion city center

The main menu

Editor for making the world and updatign it

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So far I have done:

Main Menu
Character Creation
Loading World
Movement
Shooting
Damage
Leveling Up
Skills and classes
Capturing Planets
Multiplayer [I think I know how it works but I'm not sure how to code it just yet]

Editor

Object Models
Item Models [but more may be added later]
People Models 50%

Think thats all of the topics - probably missed some off
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Much as I hate to be a wet blanket, I'm going to have to say that this topic is going to get flamed. Looks like you've made some progress as far as the single player aspect, but you're just asking for flames when you label your game as an MMO, and you aren't even sure how to approach online multiplayer.

Just managing a shooter game (which has been a WIP on my part for well over four years, off and on) is dificult, without even beginning to touch upon making an MMO. I wish you the best, but don't expect a warm welcome here.

As far as critiquing what you have, it looks good. Hard to really judge it without a demo, but I'm impressed with your single player aspect. It'll be interesting to see how everything translates to online play.

Myopia - My blog
FreshGUI v2.0 - The open-source game ui
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 00:36
I posted this here in the hope that someone may be able to help me set up a connection for I know about packages and how to transfer them but not how to accturly set up the connection in the first place so I can't really begin to test multiplayer.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 00:40
As long as MMO means "Mini Multiplayer Online" then you're ok. It looks like your doing more than most other people with this sort of project, so good luck with it. I'm way too rusty with DBP right now to offer much advice, though.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 01:06
Look up tempest in the plugins or program announcement boards. I think that's a preety good thing when it comes to multiplayer...

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 09:34
It's cool that you want help Lord Einstein, but you need to show people your progress with pictures and possibly videos. You'll generate more interest that way.

Come see the WIP!
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 10:13
I had some images above but they didn't seam to work:

Walkign aroudn the Steinion city center

The main menu

Editor
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 10:14
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 10:32 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 10:34
Apollo doesn't like the % in the name. You need to resave them without a space. Then when you post your code like this...

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 10:55
it looks a bit like runescape,LowPoly,but effective!

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 13:03
Looks rather fun to play! I'm interested =)

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 22:04
Wow that looks like fun!

(Demo please )

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, looks cool!

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 02:33
its good to see that youve actually done things on the game but i dont think an mmo is ready for a wip umtill at least some multiplayer works.

as for suggestions on multiplayer dont go with tempest for 2 reasons its p2p(player to player) meaning each player has to send data to every other player(good for all multiplayer but mmos) and tepest only supports 64 players i would reccomend going with multisync plugin as it is a server plugin(meaning each player sends data to host and host sends data to everyone else) this is very good for mmos because you can have a server with the sole purpose of sorting and sending data of your many many players.

both of these plugins can be found in the program announcements board and include explained examples of how each works
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 03:46
thanks jerok. I learned something as well

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 05:02
Cool. Seems pretty ambitious, but screeny looks good.

You'll be able to click on this someday.
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 10:13
I'm not sure how to add these plugins to dark basics and I'm only using DBC.

As for a demo. Well it wouldn't be much fun at the moment for I really only have the engin working so it wouldn't be very fun at all till I find out how to do multiplayer.
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 17:58
Quote: "I'm not sure how to add these plugins to dark basics and I'm only using DBC."

i dont know if the plugins work in dbc as i have never used dbc but you could ask benjamin(the creator of both plugins) on the tempest thread if they work in it and how to use them he would be the one most likely to know and even if he doesnt someone else there probably will
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 18:23
He said the tempest plugin was now capible with DBC so I guess it works on DBC
izaboo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 19:19 Edited at: 15th Aug 2006 19:21
Multisync is you best option for a mmo. 64 connections is good for like a fps but not for a mmo. Multisync may be dbc capable i am not sure

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:25:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:25:55