Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Matrix Editor for DBC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 17:20 Edited at: 1st Sep 2006 13:45
I'm desinging a matrix editor, where you can set the size of the matrix, various heights, and tile texture.

Decided to realise it (when its ready), as an EXE

= Idea
= Working On
= Completed

Readme File .. By the time its finished, you REALLY will need to read it. (Mainly to learn how to use them in YOUR programs)
More ideas i havn't thought of yet (if ican be bothered)

Options screen, for more dynamic and batched control
Couple of Bugs in the Initial Menu

Camera and 'pointer' controls.
Main Options screen
Setting Tile Texture and Height
Toggle wireframe (very handy)
Saving Tile info (texture/height) to my very own '.mef' file, for use in the LoadMatrix function ASWELL AS the program
Added 16 Textures to choose from
Creating A project folder, with a Media folder inside, complete with Media.
Copy my LoadMatrix Function into project folder (wont work without it)
Basic Initial Menu
Media Chooser

Well, so far so good, few bugs in the main menu, problem with the media merger, and a few bits n bobs to do on the MAIN program and its all pretty much done. Oh and i've gotta write a Function so you guys can load it into your projects.

If anyone would like the code so far jus let me know and u can try it out.

*-* EDIT *-*

Ok, heres a few Screenies for you, based on a 50x50 matrix .. i apologize for the lack of background/quality/interstingnessstuff (<< new word for the English Dictionary)

Still a working progress, basically, its a BASIC options screen.

Its just a Textured Plain, i want it to do fan-dabby-dosey animations like swirl and flip n things

A quick look at the Matrix in the 'Textured Mode' (Unfortunatly, you cant get a real view of the heights from this perspective, needless to say the reddish bits are cliff walls. Keys 1-4 change texture)

Note: the Yellow parts is the Highlighted Areas for batch control (which does work, its just hard to show)

Heres another quick shot, but in Wireframe Mode. (Can you see how its raised?, '+' n '-' keys do that, or batch)

Quite handy when you want to edit heights and such, so the texture doesnt get in the way.

*-* LATEST *-*
Media Chooser works a treat now (see below for more info)
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 04:21
Ooh looks good thus far! This should be cool to see progress although I mostly use DBPro...

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 13:05
Thanx for the Support Sixty Squares I'm gunna try to find a program which will record what is on my monitor, so i can produce a little 'walkthrough' kinda thing. Tho it flickers abit on an input command, think its todo with the Sync, i'll check it soon.
Dj Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 13:56
Nice work

And lol for the menu

But its just the begining

Good luck for your project, you have a lot of thing to do.

Hardcore Will Naver Die !
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 15:27
Alright cool. As for the monitor recording thing go to http://www.fraps.com

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 03:26 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 03:27
*-* Latest Info *-*

I've started to write the MAIN file, from the start (once i get past the few initial menus most of it will be C+P)

Still having problems with Input commands within a do/loop or repeat/until tho, which is bugging me.

Started to Experiment with Directory Control, which is quite fun but annoying at the same time. Managed to get a list of media within the folder, yet to try the file load tho.

Unfortunatly the initial menus r boring old list n letterpress EG "N - New" so if u press n, sumit happens. Tho itl do for now.

Working on the function to call up the matrix, tho cant really do much on that until i have the save down to a 'T' (as the saying goes)

O, and Sixty, great link for Fraps, but a 30sec vid was over 200mb :S
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 04:00 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 04:03
Quote: "O, and Sixty, great link for Fraps, but a 30sec vid was over 200mb :S "

I never said it wouldn't take up space

Anyway I hope the saving and loading the matrix goes well when you get around to it. I found that hard when I tried Mine would load without a specific tile, it was horrible. Not to discourage you or anything . I didn't know the file commands back then...

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 14:21
@ Sixty
well i managed to get a test one to load alrite, and after the update matrix command it worked fine. *fingurs crossed*

If you use DBPro, do you think you would want a converted Pro version once i've finished the Classic Version? (if its any good of course) i dont know how differant Pro is, but im sure i culd find a Trial version and attempt to code it.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 16:59 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 22:38
Nah, you don't have to go and do that if you don't want to, but thanks.
It's good that the matrix loading is working My other Matrix editor was made in DBC too. Anyway, I can convert it to pro if you want, it shouldn't be too hard.

EDIT:
Oh, and about your non-flashy input thing, try this

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 17:06
If you open the Fraps recording in Windows Movie Maker you can shrink it easily.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 18:35
Thanks for the tip Andrew Neale, I've jus gotta find Windows Movie Maker now.

@Sixty, did you manage to gather X amount of images and put them all into one file to use for Matrix texture. I keep getting Errors
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 23:04
Yes, I did. Your error may lie in your PREPARE MATRIX TEXTURE command.
THE SYNTAX: PREPARE MATRIX TEXTURE Matrix Number, Image Number, Across, Down

Those last 2 tile things (Across and Down) are how many tiles the image has across, and how many down. So, if you had a texture with a grass texture in the top left, a dirt texture in the top right, and a water texture in the bottom left. Tile 1 would be the grass. Tile 2 would be the dirt. Tile 3 would be water. Tile 4 would be blank.

NOTE: Oh and by the way I edited my other post to talk about your input thingy.

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 01:42
Cheers dude, i'll try that in da morn, I've got the syntax correct, but what im finding hard is getting say 5 differant image files, and putting them all into one, i mite write my own function for it in the morn. I'll edit the post to let you know how it went
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 18:00
havnt tried the input thing yet, as im stil ltrying to paste 5 bitmaps into a new bitmap to sue for PREPARE MATRIX TEXTURE, got a trhead on that in the newcomers section http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=87127&b=7

Mite work on some other menus until such a point as i can sort it out, its a shame tho, its the one thing stopping me having a smooth 'New Project > New Matrix > CHOOSE MEDIA > MATRIX SIZE(havnt done yet) > MAIN PROGRAM'
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 23:17
ok people, you all wanted it, and now i'm gunna give it to you.

Drum roll please! *Drum Roll*

Not 1 but 5 .. yes thats 5! Brand new screenshots of .. wait for it, wait for it,

The First few Menu Screens! YAY

I used a simple Button Function to get that groovey feel, obviously i shrank the image, as theres nothing else interesting, now all i gotta go is sort out the Media selection, and a few bugs in the menu system, and then i'll be able to link that with the main program like water.

Once i've done that, i'll relise a BETA version, so you lovely guys and gals can let me know of ne other bugs/improvements i can make.
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 11:13
cool looks nice
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 04:53 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2006 04:53
Looks good! However you could combine the images in photoshop or something instead. If you need help on this area just tell me, and I'll help you when I get the chance. Right now I need to go to bed Maybe I'll try to make an EXE that will do it...

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 15:00
hey Sixty, I figured out the input thing whith slightly easier code than yours .. i turned the backdrop off hehe works fine now!
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 18:10 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2006 00:57
That doesn't work for me ever, but I'm glad it works for you

EDIT: Hey, it works in DBPro now! Oh, and I'm working on a matrix tile program, I can give it to you if you like!

EDIT 2: Alright, here it is whether you want it or not
TileCombine

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 03:08
Ginga- To answer your question in my TileCombine thread...

I combined them into one image using sprites. I divided the width of the output image (256) by the number of images to get the desired size for each sprite. The height was the same as the width. In short, I converted the images into sprites, lined them up on the screen (I suppose you could use a bitmap as well via the "Create Bitmap" command), resized them, and then I used the GET IMAGE command.

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 03:56
any chance getting sample code for it? i have truble using sprites .. god knows why .
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 04:23
Alright. I'll write you a simple sample in DBC Hold on...

Okay, here it is. Hope it helps:

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 14:50 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2006 16:04
well i know where my sprite trouble comes in .. i dint know you had to use paste sprite haha my bad! Hopefully i will b able to adapt this to making my image rather than copy bitmap.

ok.. i've adapted your code, and now it works! YES YES YES! (Tho it did take me a while)

After the initial selection, this is the code i used

Am well happy now! i owe ya one dude! i'll put your name in the credits
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 16:03
Well, paste sprite isn't what you need to do all the time... You could call the sprite every loop, although it's not the best thing to do.

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 16:13
All i gotta do for the media is make it multi-rowed, otherwise it will be one hell of a long image file hehe. Plus, Delete the old files.

hopefully be finished over the Bank Holiday *Fingurs Crossed*
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 02:53
Bad News!

Wont be finished over the weekend, I'm going away to see my GF. (Which is very good News). Let us Prey for it to be finished by next weekend. Tho i have to rewrite the whole program to get it to fit into my new menu system.
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 13:53
FINALLY got the Media Chooser to work a treat =D

After choosing a number of images from the list provided (this list is made from whatever files in the .bmp format are in the media folder)

And then it will resize them to 128*128, and turn them into a Matrix Texture like this

This part of the project has been the longest to complete (so far), but now it works.

A finished program looms ever closer in the horizon
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 18:35
Nice! Hey I just thought of a sugguestion:
-How about a Global Water Level? You can choose the water level in the editor which is represented by a plain as large as the matrix, and then when you are done editing your matrix it will tell you the Y height of the water level so you can put it into your game yourself via the position object command. My game Cube Man uses this strategy, so if you aren't sure what I mean you can take a look at screenshots from there (PA BOARD).

=Just a sugguestion to improve this program. btw if you want me to stop responding here I will, I feel like I'm hogging the thread

Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 19:20
please, keep responding, only feedback im getting

Great idea, i had no idea how ppl made the water effect :S fink i mite afta get DX9C and try out Cube Man

May wait a bit before i implement it tho, wanna get a BETA version out fairly soon. If ppl dont like it, no point in carrying on right? (Tho i could try to improve it so they did[tho not many ppl use DBC any more])(lotsa brackets)(hehe)
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 23:59
Sorry I haven't been able to respond. Got hit by a strong wind which knocked our cable internet down. Anyway, it's good to hear that a beta version is coming out.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 01:28
Is the beta out yet? Or did you stop the project...Yes, I am revivng this thread)

Ummm...
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 02:28
not just yet, and hel no it aint stopped .. had a rather large tattoo on my arm and couldnt type to well. infact i had 2 dun at the same time on both arms, but yeah.. i'l lget cracking over the weekend alrighty?
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 02:54
Okay then

Ummm...
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 02:02
is it done yet?(i wanna download) lol

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 13:04
TBH, i've been so caught up in other things i've totally 4gotten bout this project. i'll work on it soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 18:40:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 18:40:46