Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Why 3dmax questions won't be answered here:

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 09:56 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 10:00
OK, so I'm a 3dmax user and I've got a problem with the way my textures are coming out. First off, I'll think about asking a forum full of 18 and younger members for their expertise... Hmmm....That may not be the way to go. Lets ask the guys on the Autodesk forum.......
Hmmm...They like to answer in terminology resembling rocket science....Darn
Well, theres always the documentation that comes with 3dmax. And maybe after going though some of it I'll better understand what those guys on the Autodesk forums are talking about...
So where do I start? I mean if I look at all this it makes my head spin. Saying thats lets open up some....

Whew...1360 pages....ouch. Maybe Vol 2..
Arrgg...1654 pages....This isn't getting any better. Hmmm well since I bought 3dmax, I at least know of uv mapping. I mean every program uses mapping of some sort so lets look in the tutorials folder.

Hey!! UV Unwrap....UVW...I've heard those terms...That's what I need. And since I know what examples their using I can now search my pdf's for a name like "pilot04.max" since I know they have to mention it somewhere.

OK, not found there, so how bout I do the whole folder at one time to speed this up a little.

Bahhhhhhhhhhh...It's not in any of the PDFs....OK Loc, think. Durrr. How bout that .chm file.

Hurray, its all me baby....I'm da man.

But was that easier then asking a forum full of skilled modelers and game makers? Well I think I'll go ask them about animations cause theres far to many tutorials in this folder and I'd rather get the cliff note versions from pros.

OK, sarcasm aside. How can you expect this forum to give you half the answers that isn't covered in like 8000+ pages, so many files to walk you though each step, it'll make your head spin. This needs its very own sticky and locked.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 10:46
[/applause]

AE

Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
You know, Locrian, the Make Human thing MAY have been a tad harsh for those of us who were actually TRYING to get decent info, but in this case, you got a point. People seriously need to take a look at documentation before asking them on boards like this.

Formerly JMC...
tattish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 13:04
You can ask me, I've been working with 3ds max for 4 years. You should start by doing the tutorials that comes with the package, not by going trough the entire reference guide!
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 19:07 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 19:28
tattish,
The point is that most these people asking for help with 3dmax are using copies they didn't pay for. The point isnt to help these jerks that get warez copies at all. The point is if you have 3dmax.....theres no reason to ask for any help on this forum, cause if you paid for 3dmax you got all the tutorials...if you didnt....you don't have the files, which says little for you. My first modeling software was Turbo Cad 3d in like 94-95. Got it for architectural needs. I didn't get serious with 3dmax till like a year ago and I'm still going through tutorials. Point is anything I need to know is covered. Theres no way you or anyone else on this forum ,short of writing me a thousand page explanation, can beat the documentation that comes with max. Problem with these guys is most don't have this documentation and the example files....

So thats why they ask.....
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 21:16
I am in total agreeance,
I think anyone asking max questions should be given a page/file name with reference to there problem, in stead of a strait forward answer.

kraM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 22:41
I agree that there seems to be a lot of pirated software, but I don\'t think you can\'t just lump people in because they asked a question. You just have to look at some of the past, present and future FPSC owners. I wouldn\'t want to have to count how many questions have been asked on this forum about simple stuff (real easy stuff) that was right there in the manual and only took a minute to find, but still the same questions got posted over and over again.

I mean just because there’s documentation, that in no way means it\'ll ever get used. In my case I know I\'ve learned more about 3DsMax from joining sites like 3DBuzz and 3dPalace then I did from the documentation (VT\'s flow into my 41 year old brain easier than text, not to mention I like Cris\'s sense of humor), though with out the documentation you\'ll be very hard pressed to keep up. Anyway, I agree with you Locrian and you\'ve made a great point and the same point I\'ve read repeatedly at 3DBuzz and 3dPalace. Now, I doubt that everyone owns a legal copy, but unless they admit they\'re using pirated software I can\'t see how we as a community can \"prove\" otherwise. Though it\'s a real pain when one pays out good money and others...well you know...

All that said, I don\'t think question\'s about ANY 3rd party software should be asked here, most if not all the software companies have support/group forums for questions. And people should use them, not FPSC.

Surfin' The Apocalypse
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 00:09
Nice point Kram. I also agree with Locrian in principle, but considering that alot of new posters dont even take the time to read the forum posting guidelines, or use the search function, even if they have at hand the 3D Max Bible or supplied help files, what are the odds of them being looked up?

And not to burst the indignation bubble, but Autodesk actually provides the entire product documentation on its own site. Having those files is not a guarantee of having a legitimate copy of Max.
tattish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 01:02
Locrian; oh my mistake, you got a very good point there and i agree. No one would buy a $4000 software and not have the patience to learn the basics or even read one single tutorial included in the package. It goes to a point when its just ridiculus "I got 3ds max, Maya, Z-brush, Lightwave, XSI, Modo and C4d, yeah I bought all of those and i'm 14 years old, how do I make good 3d?" There's a button in the upper left corner, it says "Make awesome 3d" push that and you're all set.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 06:22
@Disturbing 13
I'm going to start answering like that.

@kraM
I agree. I don't think any 3rd party software needs to be discussed here unless it has something to do with the exporting. And I do take it on individual basis for the most part. But I think you've seen the rash of members joining from May till now asking question after question instead of reading. This is my way to target um all and let God sort um out

@Kerithion
You can get some of the documents yeah but not all the files that go with it...or used to be that way. Really only go there for updates when they mail me. Still knowing most people don't even have the documentation is pretty much a dead ringer for warez. The question wasn't about those that have the documents....it was was posed about those that "don't" have them at all, which if your right shows to what degree these people are lazy.....And again shouldn't be helped. Being a male I don't have the nuturing nature to spoon feed lil pumpkin cause he/shes lazy.

Guess what boils me is these threads litter the forums knowing full well where the answer is, cause I probably had the exact same question. This forum is "Models and Media".....show me your models and media as it relates to game making( heck I wont even pin down FPCS or DBP ).... If your using dads software thats coo,ask him, I'm sure he'll help...If ya stole it, don't litter up these forums expecting an answer cause you need to be spoon feed. I knoticed in a thread earlier that the newness is leaving the Mods, and now when they see stuff being posted about where ya get an item we all knows posted there not linking to it. Just saying they didn't search. Which I think is great.
Skywalker
Years of Service
User Offline
I Totally agree with you guys you dont even have to be using max almost any modelling software that you buy (not freebies) have enough
tuts to teach you what you need to know it just takes time to learn
and develope the skills needed.

u would understand if u knew my name was Luke

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 06:26:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 06:26:40