Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / making an rpg

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i am not so new to dbp altho i bearly no eny thing as i gave up quit a awhile ago but now i am back to learn, and will not give up this time.

this is all the code i can remember

load x file "file nAME"
print "world"
wait key

i really whant to make an rpg i have dbp te.d and dark matter so the media isnt a mroblem it's just codeing non of the tutorials i have found tell me the basic;s of making an rpg, can some one jelp me.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 16:00
consolidate your ideas on paper.
at the moment your post describes what your thinking, and from what i can tell its a mess in your mind.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 16:31
dark donkey, an RPG is extraordinarily complex. With your understanding of this programming language, it's going to be impossible to make an RPG.

But with a little work, you can make one. First of all, you should take some type of programming class. The language isn't all that important. What is important is that you learn the underlying principles of programming and good coding techniques.

After that, or at the same time, you should make a few smaller games. Pong, first of all. Then maybe a scrolling shooter. Then maybe an action-adventure game. Each one will teach you things, and provide you with code that you can reuse in your RPG.

And, very importantly I believe, make a small RPG when you feel you're ready. If you can make a small one you can easily scale it up. If you start too big then you'll likely never finish, like most RPGs started here.

Good luck with it.

Come see the WIP!
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i took your DVICE I LOOKED AT SOME TUT'S AND FOUND OUT QUIT A FEW THING'S AND WHAT TYPE OF PROGRAMMING CLASS DO YU MEEN

ALSO COULD YOU JUST EXSPLAIN A BIT ABOUT COLLISION I REALY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT IT
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 21:17
caps.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 21:48
Dark donkey, did you have a look at my RPG tutorial? it goes right down to the very basics.

Applyby has Flies in his Eyes.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 21:56
Quote: "i am not so new to dbp altho i bearly no eny thing as i gave up quit a awhile ago but now i am back to learn, and will not give up this time. "

welcome to the world of coding,or for some people who cant stand errors its hell.

"If youre a chain smoker,you should be happy in hell!you never got the problem you dont got a fire!"-one of my friends.

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
Whisper Wind
Years of Service
User Offline
If dark basic is your first programming language (and I have a feeling it is, otherwise you would have a vauge idea of how to make something like an rpg already), and you don't really remember any of it, let me make a recommendation:

Save yourself a lot of time and go buy a textbook which introduces you to a language (could be basic, C, whatever). Alternatively, you can look on the web for some basics of programming, though a textbook is going to help you out a lot more imo. The point is, though, that you need to understand the fundamentals and theory behind programming itself. Functions, arrays, simple design patterns, etc. If you jump into db with no programming background, you're going to be struggling trying to learn the theory behind programming as well as the intracacies of db. Utlimately, I think you'll just end up wasting a lot of time and writing lower quality code. You'll learn much faster figuring out programming, then applying good programming principles to your games. Just a thought...

Searching for files named 'sanity'...
No files were found.
Essence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 11:24
I'm currently working on a RPG (even online based).
As a matter of fact, i've been working on it for about one year now.

I'll post screenshots when the first alpha release comes out.
Everytime when i'm working on something and i show people what i made, i just dont want to continue with it anymore cause they already know what im working on... Sooo, now its like one big secret

Anyway... The only game you could make with that code in the 1st post would be.....a 3D model viewer.

Belive me, a RPG is, as Cash Curtis said, Extremely complex to build. You need to plot every function (source) out on paper just so you dont make stupid mistakes.

Try to fully master DBpro before getting these "oh guys, c'mon! lets make a RPG!" ideas.

dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If dark basic is your first programming language (and I have a feeling it is, otherwise you would have a vauge idea of how to make something like an rpg already), "

wrong i used to use blitz3d
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
ok ive making simple stuff to get the hang of it and i found out a simple game of pong isn't that easy why does evrey one suggest it
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 13:14
Would you expect an RPG to be easier to make then Pong?

People suggest Pong, Space invaders and other classics because they are simple games for starters to make so they get fairly farmiliar with the Dark Basic Language. 'Start Small' is basicly the motto here at TGC.

When you feel you are ready to start on your blockbuster RPG, you need to have a story, a backstory, lots of media, lots of coffe, lots of patience, lots of spare time, lots of willpower, lots of moral support and be fairly good with the programming language.

Don't aim too high too fast is the moral of the story.

"Stupid World of Warcraft.
I have no money, I have no skills. All of the hot hot elvin women are dancing with the big warrior guys. It's college all over again."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 07:34:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 07:34:31