Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Genero (WIP scene editor)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 13:53 Edited at: 13th Sep 2006 20:42
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Demo edition ready to launch!

Download link: http://www.squarefantasy.net/GeneroDemo.zip
Read my last post for more info on this

Some updates in post 14 further down below

Hi,
I've recently been working on a scene editor for my current, biggest-ever (We're 7 people working on it! ) game.

Currently, it can import a Multiscape terrain and place objects onto it with support for scaling, rotation and alpha (more things to be added if I see it as neccessary such as i.e. shaders).
That's pretty much it for the time being, since I'm waiting for Extends before going into the other aspects of it, but it's supposed to be able to add lights, weather effects (like rain/snow) and visual surroundings (skyboxes/spheres/domes).
Possibly, 3D sounds should also be possible to add to objects; some streaming stuff for a waterfall for example.

The other night I thought that it, with a few modifications, should be useable for any DBPro user as well, so I figured I could as well post about it here and hear whether anybody would be interested.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Things that already exist
Load object from a 'main object folder', meaning that any object file of the type *.dbo, *.x and *.3ds placed in this folder can be imported to the editor from a drop-down list instead of browsing for every single object.

Find and position objects on ground (assuming that the object is on an multiscape terrain; else it's positioned at Y: 0)

Rotate camera to face camera (probably not the most usefull function, but hey, who knows? )

[Obvious functions]: Position, rotate, scale and set object alpha.
Furthermore, objects can be moved using the WASD keys, raised (Y+) by pressing/holding + and lowered using -.
Rotate object left by pressing 'r'; right by pressing 'R'.
Scale object equaly in X, Y and Z directions by using '<' to reduce and '>' to increase scale.
Editable fields for all of the above also exist for more specific manipulation.

Import a multiscape terrain

Close project (duh)

Display scene polygons, current camera positions and FPS

Assign names to objects for easier handling after loaded scene (in the game it will be used, that is).

View objects as wireframe (if selected).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Things that will be done upon getting hands on Extends:

Create entire light mode (set light positions, range, colour and type)

Add support for the real-time sky system

See whether the extend rain/snow particles are any good, else try to code my own and implement system for this (type, strenght and so on)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If I'm to release it for this community, this must be done....
Translate from Swedish to english

.... and this will probably be done as well:
Add support for different languages

Make it possible to include other types of landscapes than multiscape; most likely advanced terrains (doubt that many still uses the default terrain and/or matrices?)

A credit page

Model previewing

Probably some bells and whistles that I come up with during developement; feel free to submit ideas
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, for the mandatory screenshot, see the 'view' button below (be warned though, the text that is present on the image is in Swedish; you could probably guess what most of it means though

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 14:07
Some parts of swedish look like german!

well,anyway.

nice work,it looks cool!

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
treborguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 16:04
hey, nice work! it looks very well made, i'd be interested to know the game you are making this for.

p.s. is multiscape the editor that hamish made? or is this a different multiscape?

Brains are for idiots.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 19:15
@Accel Leon: Thanks, and yeah, there's quite some similarities to german.... or atleast so my german teacher used to say

@treborguy: Thanks.
The game is a yet unnamed RPG; I guess I might post more about that later on, as it's development gets furher.
Thanks for the interest, by the way

About multiscape, yes, it's hamish's terrain editor.

Det är väl så
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 19:17
Quote: "and yeah, there's quite some similarities to german.... or atleast so my german teacher used to say "

mine didnt,i just noticed.

he didnt cause im dutch,thats not near Sweden

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 20:06 Edited at: 18th Aug 2006 20:06
It looks good rudolpho! It´s fun to see so many swedish dudes on this forum!
Jobba på bara!

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 01:11
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 19:05
@Accel Leon: I suppose... ':b

@zzz: Really?
You're the only the fourth I've seen so far
Thanks anyways.
Beiget med uppkommande måndag, förresten -.-

@DB user 2006+: Thanks

Det är väl så
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 20:12
Looks nice.

One thing though, choose one language or the other. I see a mix of English and Swedish in that screen.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 20:19 Edited at: 20th Aug 2006 20:20
@Uncle Sam: Thanks.
No, it isn't actually.
The only word that's pure english in there is wireframe; reason: there isn't any Swedish name for that (that I can think of anyways; 'rutnät' would probably be similiar, but that's mostly equipped with a grid.... )

As for information and position, it's called that.
Projekt = project, objekt = object, kamera = camera, importera = import, polygoner = well.... polygons, renderade = rendered and alfa = alpha.

About the FPS, you'd rather I called it UPS or RPS?

Det är väl så
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 23:12 Edited at: 20th Aug 2006 23:13
ja vi börjar bli fler och fler svenskar här nu så kanske dags snart att skapa ett svenskt forum för oss att byta en del ideer .
oops forgott it almost looks nice the editor .
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 23:30
OK, i may be a dumb old DBC user, but what is a Multiscape Terrain?
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 00:11
@Cliff: Ser man på!
Tja, jag har lite överblivet utrymme på mitt webbhotell.... undrar dock om det lönar sig riktigt?
By the way, do you mean that you almost forgot it, or that the editor does not really look nice, but almost? ;p
Thanks anyways.

@Ginga: Well, it's basically a file consisting of a lot of numbers (and strings, for paths to textures) that are then used to construct a plain with quite a lot of polygons, whoose heights are then altered to create a smooth landscape effect (for an image of one, it's the terrain used in the screenshot I posted above, along with those 20-polygons-each trees from the DBC media pack )

Det är väl så
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 20:08 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 22:58
No replies, huh?
Well, anyways, have made some updates to this:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Added manipulation of eXtends Real Time Sky system.
Choose an .x4r file from a skysphere pool using a dropdown menu (same as object loading).
After that, you can use two fields to set the hours and minutes that make up one in-game day cycle (by default, they're set to 24: 60).
Next editable thing is the initial cloud density, mist density and wind speed.

Now for the fine part; if you would want the cloud density, mist or windspeed to change during the day (or week, month or even year, if you desire), you could input formulas for theese three elements.
In the formulas, d repressent day, h repressent hour, m repressent minute, and.... you guessed it; s is the variable for the current second.
So, if you for example would like the mist to get denser the closer to midnight, you could set it's formula to [240/h].
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A screenshot of the surroundings menu so far (I'm planning on adding ambient light and possible fog here as well later on):

Yes, the text is still in Swedish; translations comes amongst the last parts, I guess

Objects are not culled by default when loading
I will add a checkbox for this option later.
The main reason that they're culled is because c4d objects (such as the tower in the screenshot a bit down) otherways just draw the away-facing polygons, instead of the right-facing (strange, but that's the way it seems to be )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Screenshot of a simple scene (a terrain, a skysphere, light settings at sunset and a high wind-speed value, slong with some simple DBC included objects and a homemade tower):

Yep, it's still in Swedish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still open for suggestions/feedback

Det är väl så
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 10:43
Will this export some physics code as well? Or will it just export the level?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 17:56 Edited at: 25th Aug 2006 18:00
@DB user 2006+: If you mean something like Dark Physics; no (I don't own that )
If you mean something different; please explain, and maybe....
As it's being made for an FF-styled RPG (basicaly walk around and press enter to interact with stuff; some more will be added though), physics aren't really all that neccessary.

What it is planned to do export, is a file containing the data set in the editor (object positions, scales, rotation, alpha, culling, perhaps shaders also, lights, surroundings settings, terrain and possibly some ambient 3d sounds, and so on), along with a media folder (stored in a dirblock), which can then be loaded into an DBPro application with a function, and then reached easily by something like

where 'Fourth tree' ressembles the id given to the object from the editor.
Objects will be stored numerically from 1001 and up, so that you can easily intersect them with

etc.

That's kind of it this far; perhaps I've forgotten something/will come up with some additional stuff later though

Det är väl så
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 23:23
Cool. By physics i meant something like newton, ode, or just pre-made physics. Any of those will do because their free. But, with DarkPhysics, its not so exporting to for that would really be an option.
Anyways, looks cool, keep up the good work.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 00:57
Yeah, well, as said though, physics ain't really needed for my game, so we'll see whether I'll try to implement some such stuff or not (that would probably also do better for the next editor in line, which will be for events; this is mostly just an visualizing editor )

Thanks

Det är väl så
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 01:01
Ah, I see. Well, again, keep up the good work.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 23:35 Edited at: 27th Aug 2006 23:39
Ok, nothing all that great, but it's the last of the big, main parts that I've thought of adding this far, so....

Created Light mode
Lights can be created and positioned in a similiar way to that of the objects; in other words, WASD keys move the light source in X and Z directions; + and - in Y directions, and the mousewheel can be used to change the lights affecting range (theese can also be edited by using textfields, for more precise positioning).
Of course, the lights colours can also be set, using the standard Windows pick-color dialog.

Allthough this sounds easy, it actually took quite some time to get up working properly (I'm currently pretty tired with the str$() and val() commands )

Left to do would be to add a small dialog for rain/snow particles and get some things to actually work the way they're supposed to.

@56kb/s:ers: Yay, no screenshot this time!
@the rest: Sorry, no screenshot....

So.... if I just get that done, and gets time to translate it, maybe I could show off a demo here sooner or later

Det är väl så
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 20:40 Edited at: 19th Sep 2006 19:40
Well, it took a while, but I've actually goy everything needed for a demo working by now (if anybody would still be interrested? ':b)

The four biggest additions are:

Weather settings
The interface for this is pretty simple; choose between rain, snow and sparkles (or pick 'none' if you like ) and press 'Use'.
However, a quite powerful, very flexible control over the weather particles are given by offering an editbox for a weather script.

Appearance object settings
Simply enough, this is a popup window that let's you set the main DBP appearance flags (light sensitivity, culling, transparency, etc.) for every object you use in the editor.
For the full version I'm planning on adding shaders support to this menu as well.

Full Language support
The user can now pick any language he wishes from a list within the editor.
The choosen language is also stored so that it remains the same the next time the editor is opened.
The language files are stored in a folder named 'language' and simply enough consists of strings for the dialogues within the editor; hence you could easily add your own language files.
So far, I've made a English and a Swedish language file, and that's where it'll stop for me, because I don't know any other languages good enough
(If you would like to write some additional language files for me, mostly wanted be french, spanish and german, you're more than welcome )

An about window
This one currently only displays the authours name (yep, that's me ) and the name of the translator for the used language file.
(Might add in some plugin authours later though).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
----Nevermind about the stuff below----
However, there is a minor problem before I can actually release the demo....
See http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88592&b=1 for more info about that.
If you know what's up, please also help me solve it.

No screenshot this time either, but I hope to soon be able to post the demo (I will try to test it on a different computer tomorrow; perhaps it's just my windows installation that's messing with me or something).
----Ok, you can start reading again

Until then; comments are appreciated

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 20:34
Allright, I've worked out a workaround for the problem mentioned above, and so, I'm attaching the demo zip to this post

Please read the included Readme file for instructions on how to execute the program properly, along with some additional information.

Note: The tree's and gem objects in the object directory can be removed; I've just used theese for testing purposes.
The Ocean files must remain intact though, since theese are automatically used by the application.

I can't think of any other vital information right now; allthough be aware that it hasn't undergone any form of direct testing, so there might be a few bugs here and there.

Also, please post some feedback; this thread has been dead for a while now

Code Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 18:06 Edited at: 15th Sep 2006 18:25
Wow, this looks really nice, dude!

Final Fantasy style RPG you were saying? Thumbs up, dude. First time I've seen anyone try a 3D FF RPG... I'm sure others have tried it, of course, but I don't get onto the Forum as often as I'd like, so I miss a lot, lol.

Again, awesome editor, and good luck with your game.

Resistance is Futile
(if <1 ohm)
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 18:45
Thanls Code Ninja

Well, it's not going to be some FF-ripoff, but somewhat the same style of gameplay.

Checked out the now pretty old Equilibrium, by the way?
Thats a lot more FF-ish than my game will be I think

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 20:12 Edited at: 18th Sep 2006 15:04
Code ninja you saw my rpg? I have build own event7scene system in it too (search W.I.P thread Dark Ocean )

BTW This looks good.. is this like map editior or some scenes/events for rpgs?

P.S I coudl translate it to finnish when you have trasnlated it to english

FFXI <3
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 19:33
@Cloudef: Basically, it's a map editor.
It's however able to assign 'names' to objects, from which they will be possible to handle using the upcomming event editor - or so it's planned anyways.
Therefore, the levels created by this application should be possible to load into any DBP (or other things, for that matter) game.
Try out the demo; it's pretty much how it'll be I guess.

For the translation, thanks man; yet again, check the download - English and Swedish language files are included (just open the .lng files with notepad).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dark Ocean looks cool, btw

Edit: I figured I could post the english languagefile's content here as well:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:37:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:37:28