Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TAS - text adventure scripter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 20:08
This is a Text adventure scripter for non-programmers as well as programmers. All it needs is a text file which defines all of the objects, rooms, and actions available. Soon, I hope to make another program to make writing the script even easier, as it can get quite long and take a long time to do.

This version is fully playable, except that you can\'t win or lose yet. The text file attached contains only a very simple text adventure with only 2 rooms although the program is capable of any amount.

The download is just over 1/3 of a megabyte and is in zip format.

You can edit the text file using notepad.

This is the format of the script:

PHEW!!!

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:04
looks cool,but it isnt a basic language is it

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:06
No, but as you might have seen, I will make another program to write the script

Also, I just added winning, losing and sound

This zip is just over 1/2 of a megabyte.

Attachments

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 00:16
Sorry for double post, but I've just finished the engine completely. This will allow objects to activate other objects without player input. triggers = is the activation, and is the same syntax as what the player would type in to get that to happen. ltrigger is the same, but is used if the player does not have the requirements to do the action. Both are lists in the same order as the actions and can apply to objects and rooms.

Also, I have nearly finished what I will call EasyTAS which you can use to easily write your script using a more graphical approach than textpad Here is a screenshot of it so far:

The bottom left image is not done yet but is where you will enter most of the details. The rest is finished: The right side lets you draw a map so you don't put stuff in the wrong place. It will let you add text when I have finished the bottom left bit. The top left gives you a list of all your objects, rooms and actions which you can see more details by clicking on them. They already scroll.

This is useful, but the engine can still be used without it as it just writes the text file for you. The one thing I will change in the engine is the name of the text file that it reads which is testgame at the moment.

The new engine is attached again in zip.

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 15:42
Looks good,nice competition

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 23:53 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2006 23:54
The zip attached contains both EasyTAS and the TAS engine. Drag a .tas file onto the file TAS.exe to play that game. Easy TAS can compile to a tas file, and even decompile it back to be edited again.

Although this needs no code, it is still powerful and can make almost any text adventure that you could make in dark basic. The only typing required is what will be shown to the player. You can also draw maps using the inbuilt drawing facility to help you create your text adventure. Click to draw, R-click to erase and Both to clear completely. The images can be loaded/saved.

Here is a screenshot of EasyTAC:

And here is one ingame(it is the same game as the one being edited above)

I know the graphics of EasyTAS are a bit rubbish, but that would be 'cause I made them myself

Also, could somebody PLZ download and say what they think of it?
Are there any bugs?
Have you any ideas for improvement?
Is there anything you hate about it?

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 16:39

i cant download it ATM.wrong computer...

e-Drome website

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:31:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:31:05