Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] Hud for My Game:

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 20:42 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 20:45
I don't normaly show things for my games, as I want things to be a suprize. I don't plan on selling my game but distrubuting it free.

But in working on my hud I had to show you guys cause I always see you guys using custom huds and I'm yet to see one like this. It's just very clean and dosen't look like a photoshop or gimp tut so I'm very proud of this.

The Lions head is refering to her nick name which come out in the plot. It's hand painted with basically just colors, the smudge tool, and the accented edge filter.

The bar will move down as life is lost and the players image degrades. All in all it turned out just as I'd invisioned. Id cut out most of the screen so the image wasn't 1280/768 so it may look big if your not thinking your only seeing the corner. It's no more distracting then any other I've seen.
Connor Higgins
User Banned
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 20:45 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 23:18
bloody [mod edit] thats good!!

Mod note:No swearing.

super cool timmy turner has fairy godparents and i am not a mad science teacher i am a real boy so FAIRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ysengrin
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome dude! Could you send me the template files so I can make my own?

"When there is no-more room in Hell, then the dead will walk the Earth"-Dawn of the Dead
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:03
Thanks Connor,
I'm suprized more don't comment. Near 20 hits and only one comment. Is it the "Cant say nothing nice..don't say anything" deal? Perhaps I'm jaded, thinkin this was decent cause I made it...lol
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice hub Locrian.

I like the way you used the shading as it works well, looks like you put a lot of work into it.

Look forward to ya game when its out.

Comments are a rare thing on this forum im finding.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:30
reminds me of the lion from the chronicles of narnia some reason

good job

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:37
Haha,
Now that you mention that it dose....Well, actually the inspiration for that came from this HUD. I couldn't find a style I liked so when I seen this I thought a tie in to her S/n of Kat would be cool.

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:49
I like RPG HUD style!
Will be free?

SIXOFT - This is not just a game, this is a SIXOFT game.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:54
Johny English,
I'm sorry to say I'm a lil media piggy and this isn't a hud thats going to be released in anything but my game. You know how it is man. Theres things ya give the public and things ya don't.

But thanks for the intrest in it.
Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:58
How you make the bar?
With script?
I am . Now

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:58
i am really impressed with the sharpness and vivid colors. i love it man.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 22:02
wow, that is inspiring, might have to tr something like that aswell, i like the Oblivion'ish pattern

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 22:46
Johny,

This is the script I used:
Quote: ";I have made some modifications to the setuplevel.fpi to add the Health Head Systems. This adds ;the Head that are different

;depending of your health. Less health. less beautifull head.

;This script use the head images that are in the directory "gamecore/huds/". The files are "head0" to "head10". This images

;are not copy when you use the build game process. You need to copy manually.

;::::::::::::::::::START SCRIPT::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

;AIScript from Wizard
;Header
desc = Setup Wizard

; Health Heads System by Habatar. Version 1

; Setup Level Stats
:state=0:sky=skybank\ww2\Gas
:state=0:music=audiobank\music\generic\main.wav,musicvolume=50,soundscale=25
:state=0:fog=0,fogred=0,foggreen=0,fogblue=0
:state=0:ambience=25,ambiencered=255,ambiencegreen=255,ambienceblue=255

; Head Creator
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head0.png,hudname=head0,hudmake=display,hudhide=1
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head1.png,hudname=head1,hudmake=display,hudhide=1
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head2.png,hudname=head2,hudmake=display,hudhide=1
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head3.png,hudname=head3,hudmake=display,hudhide=1
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head4.png,hudname=head4,hudmake=display,hudhide=1
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head5.png,hudname=head5,hudmake=display,hudhide=1
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head6.png,hudname=head6,hudmake=display,hudhide=1
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head7.png,hudname=head7,hudmake=display,hudhide=1
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head8.png,hudname=head8,hudmake=display,hudhide=1
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head9.png,hudname=head9,hudmake=display,hudhide=1
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=25,hudy=33,hudimage=gamecore\huds\head10.png,hudname=head10,hudmake=display,hudhide=1

:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudsizex=1024,hudsizey=768,hudimage=gamecore\huds\fader.tga,hudhide=1,hudtype=3,hudmake=int

ernal
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudred=128,hudgreen=0,hudblue=0,hudsizex=1024,hudsizey=768,hudimage=gamecore\huds\eyehud.tg

a,hudhide=1,hudtype=2,hudmake=internal
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudred=128,hudgreen=128,hudblue=128,hudsizex=1024,hudsizey=768,hudimage=gamecore\huds\zoom.

tga,hudhide=1,hudtype=4,hudmake=internal
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=5,hudy=5,hudimage=languagebank\english\gamecore\hudslives.tga,hudmake=display
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=4,hudy=8,hudsizex=16,hudsizey=16,hudimage=gamecore\huds\numeric1.tga,hudtype=1,hudmake=numeric
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=15,hudy=5,hudimage=languagebank\english\gamecore\huds\health.tga,hudmake=display
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=15,hudy=13,hudsizex=16,hudsizey=16,hudimage=gamecore\huds\numeric1.tga,hudtype=2,hudmake=numeric
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=85,hudy=8,hudimage=gamecore\huds\ammo.tga,hudtype=3,hudmake=status
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=88,hudy=12,hudsizex=16,hudsizey=16,hudimage=gamecore\huds\numeric1.tga,hudtype=3,hudmake=numeric
; Setup Game Menu
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=10,hudimage=languagebank\english\gamecore\backdrops\basic\gamemenu.tga,hudname=gamemenutitle,h

udhide=1,hudmake=display
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudimage=languagebank\english\gamecore\backdrops\basic\exitgame.tga,hudtype=3,hudname=quitg

ame,hudhide=1,hudmake=button
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=60,hudimage=languagebank\english\gamecore\backdrops\basic\returntogame.tga,hudtype=4,hudname=r

eturngame,hudhide=1,hudmake=button
:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudimage=gamecore\huds\pointer.tga,hudname=pointer,hudhide=1,hudmake=pointer

; All Created, go to Main Game Play
:state=0:state=1

; Main Game
:state=1,escapekeypressed=1:pausegame,state=2

; Head Controler
:state=1,plrhealthgreater=499:hudreset,hudshow=head10,hudunshow=head9,hudunshow=head8,hudunshow=head7,hudunshow=head6,hudunsh

ow=head5,hudunshow=head4,hudunshow=head3,hudunshow=head2,hudunshow=head1,hudunshow=head0
:state=1,plrhealthless=500,plrhealthgreater=450:hudreset,hudunshow=head10,hudshow=head9,hudunshow=head8,hudunshow=head7,hudun

show=head6,hudunshow=head5,hudunshow=head4,hudunshow=head3,hudunshow=head2,hudunshow=head1,hudunshow=head0
:state=1,plrhealthless=450,plrhealthgreater=400:hudreset,hudunshow=head10,hudunshow=head9,hudshow=head8,hudunshow=head7,hudun

show=head6,hudunshow=head5,hudunshow=head4,hudunshow=head3,hudunshow=head2,hudunshow=head1,hudunshow=head0
:state=1,plrhealthless=400,plrhealthgreater=350:hudreset,hudunshow=head10,hudunshow=head9,hudunshow=head8,hudshow=head7,hudun

:state=1,plrhealthless=350,plrhealthgreater=300:hudreset,hudunshow=head10,hudunshow=head9,hudunshow=head8,hudunshow=head7,hud

:state=1,plrhealthless=300,plrhealthgreater=250:hudreset,hudunshow=head10,hudunshow=head9,hudunshow=head8,hudunshow=head7,hud

unshow=head6,hudshow=head5,hudunshow=head4,hudunshow=head3,hudunshow=head2,hudunshow=head1,hudunshow=head0
:state=1,plrhealthless=250,plrhealthgreater=200:hudreset,hudunshow=head10,hudunshow=head9,hudunshow=head8,hudunshow=head7,hud

unshow=head6,hudunshow=head5,hudshow=head4,hudunshow=head3,hudunshow=head2,hudunshow=head1,hudunshow=head0
:state=1,plrhealthless=200,plrhealthgreater=150:hudreset,hudunshow=head10,hudunshow=head9,hudunshow=head8,hudunshow=head7,hud

unshow=head6,hudunshow=head5,hudunshow=head4,hudshow=head3,hudunshow=head2,hudunshow=head1,hudunshow=head0
:state=1,plrhealthless=150,plrhealthgreater=100:hudreset,hudunshow=head10,hudunshow=head9,hudunshow=head8,hudunshow=head7,hud

unshow=head6,hudunshow=head5,hudunshow=head4,hudunshow=head3,hudshow=head2,hudunshow=head1,hudunshow=head0
:state=1,plrhealthless=100,plrhealthgreater=0:hudreset,hudunshow=head10,hudunshow=head9,hudunshow=head8,hudunshow=head7,hudun

show=head6,hudunshow=head5,hudunshow=head4,hudunshow=head3,hudunshow=head2,hudshow=head1,hudunshow=head0
:state=1,plrhealthless=1:hudreset,hudunshow=head10,hudunshow=head9,hudunshow=head8,hudunshow=head7,hudunshow=head6,hudunshow=

head5,hudunshow=head4,hudunshow=head3,hudunshow=head2,hudunshow=head1,hudshow=head0

; Game Menu
:state=2,escapekeypressed=0:state=3
:state=3:hudshow=gamemenutitle,hudshow=quitgame,hudshow=returngame,hudshow=pointer,state=4
:state=4,hudselectionmade=3:continuegame,destroy
:state=4,hudselectionmade=4:state=6
:state=4,escapekeypressed=1:state=5
:state=5,escapekeypressed=0:state=6
:state=6:hudunshow=gamemenutitle,hudunshow=quitgame,hudunshow=returngame,hudunshow=pointer,resumegame,state=1

;:::::::::::::::::::END SCRIPT::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

;I have add the parts "Head Creator" and "Head controller" and I modify the position of health ;numeric.

;If you change the maximun health you need to adjust the value of the command "plrhealthless" and ;"plrhealthgreater".

;Sweet.. Kinda like Duke-Nukem..

;In "Head Creator", makes the hud images, one per head. You need to made the heads before the ;health counter, this is

important.

;The "Head Controler" are a conditions to set the health interval to heads.
;x > 499
;450 > x >500
;400 > x >450

;The actions are simple. Show the correct head, and unshow the other heads.
"

Where "head0.png" is the name of my images. Found this in the Scripting boards under "hud".
Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 22:54
oh thx! my friend

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 23:20
Nice hud,Locrian.

Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 23:32 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 23:34
Very, very impressed.
I really do like that but i reckon the bit behind the bar itself (Orange-like colour) is too bright, and you should maybe try and pick out a colour from the lions mayne/main or however you call it.
Pleased for you, and keep up the good work.
*Edit* I didnt notice that the player picture degrades! Its just like doom! But without the crazy block-head guy! Even more impressed now!

Yours in gaming,
Dan

Weeee
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 23:37
They look more like RPG huds than for a FPS game, but what is your game about? Is it more RPG?
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 23:37
@Ysengrin,
Ummm, not sure what you mean by template files. This whole thing is hand made except the rust texture behind the life bar. Thats from some farm machinery then tweeked. Like I said the Lion is hand painted. You wont find a hud exactly like this anywhere....the only "template" is my psd files.

@s4real,
Comming from the re-texture master I'll take that as a compliment. And yeah it was a bit of work. The lion took me a whole evening alone.

@Inovater,
Yeah I liked the rust/browns/earthtone scheme myself.

@ Fred,
Thanks, I thought it kicked butt. Thats why I had to show it. I'm trying to keep a wrap on my project and not allude to much but I had to show this cause it rocked thx to the Habatar script.

OK think I've addressed all that commented. For some reason I didn't see some of these post earlier when I commented. I wasn't ignoring you other guys. But again thanks to all that commented. I'm quite happy with its turnout.
MT Inc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 00:35
it looks really cool, good job Locrian, can you please check your mail i sanded you something and can you read it and please reply through mail. thanks, good job again.

cheers,

M.T.I
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 01:15
Quote: "Cant say nothing nice..don't say anything"

Only nice things to say about that hud - that's really nice work - I prefer your lion-head version to the wolf-head one that inspired it: has a much more solid 'presence' (for want of a better word) I think. And it degrades! Fantastic stuff.

Hope you'll let us know when you release your game.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 01:18
@Smitho,
Actually I wanted it like that man. If you focus at the ground and away from the hud the Lion being darker kinda fades outta mind with the actual health bar remains in the corner of your eye. The colors are dropper'd from the lion if you look at the highlighting on the muzzle/nose. These colors were intentional and thought about in detail. Glad you like it otherwise though and your comments are noted. We'll see how others respond.

@Higgins,
Well, I never really got the whole "this hud is for this...this for another" thing. I went for a style more then a conscious effort toward RPG or FPS. But I guess this is actually RPG more then FPS as it deals more with a story and quest( shes an assassin so I guess you could call a "hit" a quest ) then going against waves and waves of like enemies.

@MT Inc,
Never got the email. If your having problems reaching me for a question thats not on topic here, feel free to PM me on my web site. You don't have to make an account but put who ya are so I know that your from here on TGC as this isn't the only forum I visit. Other then that I guess try and send it again.
MT Inc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 02:58
Locrian can you please check your email again i sanded it to you.

cheers,

M.T.I
Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 17:46
How you make the graphic of HUD?

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 18:54 Edited at: 20th Aug 2006 19:06
@Kerithion
Why thank you man. Not sure if I'd go as far as better, but I'm happy with it's outcome. And of course when it's done I'll let people know. I'll want peoples opinion on the finished product but this is a long ways off. Right now I have bits and pieces of this. I've got it all planed out but as I get board of doing textures I move on to modeling...then to story zones, scripts,or whatever. Let me say this though. You guys will love the ending cinematic if you like Quenten Terrintino. My cinematic though the game are done in a comic book style like the "how to" I did with the mech for the weapon contest. This is done not only to add a style thats not seen, but to save on load time so theres no avis for story zones till the end. The end though is a fully animated piece which is dementedly cute. The dialog with the way the music comes in is so Terrintino I should pay him royalties. I'm animating this high poly stuff in poser and using a prog called mimic that matches up lip movements to an wav file....should be great stuff as the mock ups alone are looking good.

@Johny English,
It's possibly because English isn't your main language but I'm having problems understanding what you want. Are you wondering how I changed my hud from the lame stock numbers and such to a graphic, or are you wondering how I made the graphic?

The script I posted above will change your hud to images you place in the game folder at build time. You'll need to make up 11 images with differences, so the increments of the players life can be represented.

If your asking how I made the graphic I'm not going to go into a step by step process but these are the items that I used for this to all come together.

3dmax/Poser6/Real Skin shader python script by Faceoff/Photoshop CS. The image below shows the break down of the pieces a little.

I see people like the degrading player, so heres the 2 of the 11 extremes it goes though. Full alive and bout to die.

I didn't have to be real particular with the deleting of the background as shes so small and kinda faded it's not seen.
Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 18:58
That is right answer. Sorry for imbecil language.
Why not main world language czech?

butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
o wow cool hud
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 09:08
locrian!!!!
this is fantastic work man!!

I had so much wanted such kind of huds in my game...but I just didnt know how to make em and use em (thats how I found this post)

So tell me, once I make images and stuff and put them in correct folders, what next?
Where do I place the script for it?
How do I manage the orientation and layout of the various parts etc?

Any such tutorials (the non-graphical part)??

Once again...simply amazing work!!

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow. That's fantastic.

Not generally a fan of big healthbars in an FPS but that's a real fine job there and visually worth the trade-off in viewable area.

Really like the degrading face in contrast with the lion.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 19:22 Edited at: 29th Sep 2006 04:16
Just noticed this was back on the front page.

filya,
I want to say first that I'm glad you like this and show an interest in how this is accomplished. Saying that, know that mods and members alike get kinda ticked when you bring up old dead threads. Even though yours is a legitimate question, often members will bring up old threads with saying no more then "Cool" or "Nice", so this has lead to people complaining about any old thread. If theres a question like you needing a tutorial for something like this, emailing the member is a better, more forum friendly way of doing things. Starting your own thread asking the question is another, and generally the original author of the thread your wondering will chime in.
I know...a few idiots screw it for the truely inquisitive that are trying and not just asking for free media.

Now with all that being said, I don't have time right now, but later tonight I'll see about making up a tutorial for this kind of a degrading hud and make sure to hit on all the fine points like hud placement. I'll name it "Making a degrading Hud:". This should allow the search engine to find this subject with a little more ease.

@Errant AI
Thanks man. Comming from a pro like yourself, I musta done good( I know its not proper English people....it's a joke). Higgins kinda eluded to that as well. To be honest this is more rpg the fps. I'm much more into the story driven games like kotor or fable or things along that line. To be honest I don't really like FPS games all that well. The image really isn't all that distracting and glad you approve.

And again, thanks for the comments people.
Loc

ps: Mods maybe this should get locked so it's not brought up again. I'll write a tutorial for this and make it's own thread that can be easily found, then duplicate the post in the tutorials section. Then theres no reason someone can't find the answer for this particular problem.
The paradox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 02:37
SWEET health bars u guys!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) join the dark side .....we have cookies!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 02:42
Wish granted.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 14:29:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 14:29:06