Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / how it is supossed to bump mapping work?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i am beggining to be desesperatly....

this is a basic code of 3 lines to apply bump maping to a 3ds object textured with 3d studio max:

i created the bump with photoshop; all the files ,included
the original texture of the .3ds are in the folder of the project, if i dont put the line of bump mapping it works, but when i apply the line of bump, it gives a error of
aplication and closes

why??
another question, to make the bumps, there is another program best than photoshop?

thanks, please,reply fast
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2002 23:04
I cant understand what your saying.

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 02:17
Bump mapping is simple...

from a premade bumpmap all you're doing is shifting the bump map Nth amount of pixels based on light distance and in a certain direction based upon vector and then finally the pixel blending based upon strength.

from a render version what your doing is taking each pixel and normallising it with the other pixels in the same fashion based directly upon where the light finally lands, usually used with a fast phong shading algorithm.

to make a simple bump map, take you map greyscale it and then emboss it ... finally set the levels so that only the brightest spots appear (this makes it easier on the actual blending)
or you could just remake the texture airbrushing the highlight areas and taking away the actual pic.
Really should state patence is an invaluable virtue when it comes to db - if you want something then please just wait. I still can't possibly understand what a graphical effect could possibly be SOOO important to development for!

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
neoxxx
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks raven vegeta, i solutioned the problem, y make a post in the normal discusion forum with some info

it is important because using bump mapping we can use more poligons for other things, but i saw that light mapping
is faster.

thanks, see my new post

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 16:04
Well it is important as a 3d artist for me to understand alot of the graphical coding (especially with titles like gameSpace in the works) ...
bump mapping really is more of a realism effect, because to add detail without polygons is part of the textures job.
i'd recommend against using it really unless you have it as a turn off option - especially for entire worlds, as it does eat up processor power and VERY fast.

it probably would be good for you to look into several things which bump mapping is based around to add effect...
Lightmapping, Projection Mapping, Blend/Multi-texturing, Phong shading and Shadowmapping.

All forms of mapping and shading tend to be a combination of blending textures, premade and engine calculated to get more and more realism within a game.
As a graphical programmer, it is oftenly thier job to add the most realism without stepping on the feet of the main game programmers... as i've noted, really need to make sure there is atleast a playable demo before you think about advanced effects!

Trust me there are ALOT of advanced coding & art tutorials comming from myself, however i'd like to fix up my website - get the beta of gameSpace finally out for testing and get back upto date with work stuff.
As soon as I have time, there will be some cool addons for DBpro - probably just in time for Patch2 at the end of this month. A few team members of FMTau are also about to release something truely outstanding, which I actually want Kevin (UWdesign) to checkout first as he is gonna be like a kid in a candy store with it

neoxxx
Years of Service
User Offline
raven vegeta, what is your web page? (do you have msn¿?)

can you see my post of positioning 3d lights in a scene?
how can db pro load directly the info of lights in a
.x or .3ds escene?

thanks for helping

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2002 08:51
well FMTau forums are at http://members.lycos.co.uk/timesaga/phpBB2 ...
i have msn however it isn't given out any more due to user abuse (basically people message me no matter where i am and i use it for work as well - no way i'm walking across a halfmile site just to tell someone that i finished something and if they want it!)

as for lights... from my recollection lights arn't availble within the X and 3DS formats, so it is likely you'll need to export to something that does - suchas .MAP
for lights i'd recommend a setup where for the position you have a standard billboard quad (if you don't know what that is then you'll need more knowlage of 3D before messing with this stuff) ... place on it a light effect and setup a colour blend so you multiply the colour for what light your using. Then I would compile a lightmap on the surrounding area...
alternatively you could just use a point light as dbpro will easily handle upto 16 without slowdown (or should!)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:29:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:29:03