Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / about darkBASIC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm considering purchasing darkBASIC and I was wondering if it was easy to use or if someone needed some kind of programming experience, even if it is a little? Or is it easy to learn and pickup as you go? This might've belonged in another forum, and it was most likely answered somewhere else. Anyways, any help would be much appreciated, thank you and I hope to get a reply or two.

~Jakor Sevel
http://www.emxx.net/forums/index.php
(sorry if advertising MBs aren't allowed)
PokeSmot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 06:08 Edited at: 11th Apr 2003 06:09

i am picking it up and i have zero experience, i can't say it's easy but it's so far been more successful than when i attemted to teach myself C++ i have had it now i guess 2 an 12 weekes but i've already been getting cool results so i say go for it man!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 02:59
You'll pick a lot of stuff up as you go, but you'll get the best results from good programming practise.

Simple things like creating Variables and Types* for all your settings, and creating functions for repetitive tasks are gonna speed up your development no end. Programmers take a lot of things for granted that are simply "good practise". Once you've got a few of these under your belt, the development curve will accelerate.

I would suggest hanging around a few programming tutorial forums and sites is a good thing to do in parallel with your DB learning.

Good Luck

* Types - available in DB when using DarkEdit!

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 03:08 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 03:08
I have had it just over a week, b4 i was using demo the thing is the more effort you put into it the more you get in return from db you have to want to learn and when you have you will see that it was well worth it.

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp

http://www.apollo-design.com
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
I learnt top program properly by looking at other people's programs and learning techniques and adapting it Now i've programmed about 6 full games!

[age 11]

Jakor Sevel
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks, after looking at a few games that have been made with dark basic (or at least screenshots) i've decided that as soon as I can, I will buy DB. I've talked with my friends about them helping me create a game, and they said they're interested. Hopefully they'll be able to do some crap and not make me do everything, lmao. If they do i'll kick their *** out of the group :p

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 06:25
try downloading the demo to see how you get on with it.

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp

http://www.apollo-design.com
Obear
Years of Service
User Offline
Well think of it this way, there are no commands inside dark basic such as..

MAKE GAME()
MAKE ENEMY ATTACK ME ()
MAKE GUN SHOOT AT ENEMY ()

You wont get that kind of easy in ANY programnig language

But yes DARK BASIC in my opinion is proberly the easyest programing language to use for 3D games design.

Most of the commands are in plain english and can be understood with no more great dificulty that reading a text book.

But there is a learning curve, understanding how writeing code is implimented to perform various tasks.

The best way to learn is by doing.

Get the free demo of dark basic, sit down with some of the pre written programs, print them out, and start from sctrach and re-type the whole thing in again by yourself from your print out.

Do this for as many prograsm that you can find, play them after to see what all your code just did.

Keep doing this and you soon start to see how the game is made, and how the commands are functioning.

This is how i learned my basic programing skills years ago. I was just 13, it was 1984 i had a Sinclair ZX81 and i had no cash to by games. At the time there was magazines on the shelves with nothing but computer code in them, you typed them out and ran them to play games.

At first i didnt know what the heck i was typeing in, but after doing this for many prograsm it all started to make sence.

Couple that with ther help you will get in these forums and youll soon be on your way.

Good luck

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:31:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:31:22