Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Character Modeling for Newbie

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello All,
I am getting interested in character modeling from humans to weapons, machines etc... yes might sound a bit too aspiring for a newbie.. but if anyone can guide me where to start and how to go about it and if there are any reliable and good tutorials, I will appreciate that. I downloaded blender and GameSpace Light.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Prince
Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 01:26
i would start modeling simple things you have around the house and then work up in the order of guns-> machines-> people i found that best for me but it may be different for you, and i think theres a tutorial on how to use anim8or on fredp's web, which cant really be used for various other modellers to.

[URL=http://z6.invisionfree.com/SoS_studios/]
Hi, I'm Screwed Over, a.k.a Jesus a.k.a Neo a.k.a Batman, and now you know my quadruple lifestyle[URL]
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes that is good advice, start with inorganic objects like guns, or hoursehold items. Things that basically have well defined shapes and hard corners. If you can get those things looking good from a front and side view, then they will look good at ANY angle.

Characters on the other hand are harder because there are no well-defined surfaces, everything is a perpetual curve, so it is harder to get them looking right at all angles.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
Prince
Years of Service
User Offline
That seems like a good start.... i will try doing that.. Thanks for the advice
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 06:45
If you are intested Avenging Eagle has made a video tutorial on how to model and import a model into FPSC using Anim8tor,which is a free modeling program.
You can find it here in the "downloads" section:

http://www.wembley1967.com

Prince
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks FredP. I downloaded the tutorial. I have a question though. While reading the forums I came across 3 modeling softwares that seem to b popular... blender, gamespace and anim8tor... which is a better one...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 08:06
I would try all three and see which one works best for you.
There are other free or low cost 3D modeling programs out there too.
You might check the resources sticky at the top of this forum or you can Google "3D modeler" or something like that and see what you come up with.

Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 19:35
Prince, if you decide to use Gamespace, I'd recommend this link:

http://www.caligari.com/gamespace/tutorial/video_3DBuzz.asp

18 or so consecutive video tutorials in how to create a model and import. Very very useful. Is handy to see something done rather than read something described, I think. Wish you luck with your learning.
Prince
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Kerithion for the suggestion. I am still getting hang of FPSC and having probs with modeling segments.. for ex. in a room with high ceiling.. i wanna create a small room inside tht. but donno how to give a ceiling to tht small room.. like in Screenshot03 I am not able to close tht small rectangle.

Other prob is the doors.. as u can see in the first two screenshots there is a gap on either side between the wall and the door. I tried using door entity & door segment but couldnt get it working.

Any solutions??????

Thanks
Prince

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 02:41
i think anim8ors better than gamespace,its like a low level version of 3ds max, but i've never used blender, i couldnt get it to work on my pc , also you find 100's of websites with textures and models ready for anim8or and it can export to some of the most widly used formats

Prince
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm... i tried gamespace n played around for a bit.. its lot more complicated... i mean the UI is lil too clumsy for a new person...

then i tried blender and its tutorials r easy. plus the interface is understandable and its easy to find things...

might try hands on anim8tor too...
Some rocken guy
Years of Service
User Offline
i have blenderi dont like it. i think ill try Anim8tor

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 08:31:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 08:31:43