Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SketchUp Model Importer Plug-In: Call for Beta Testers

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 22:08 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 13:58
[ EDIT ]

I have recently completed initial development of a plug-in for DarkBASIC Professional that allows models to be imported from both Google SketchUp and SketchUp Professional. This means that you can use Google SketchUp (a free download from http://sketchup.google.com) to MODEL FOR FREE all through the development process of your application (aside from the modest cost of this plug-in, of course). If and when you are sure it makes financial sense, only then are you required to actually buy the (albeit expensive) Pro version of SketchUp.

I originally posted here looking for Beta Testers and I now have 3. Thank you to all of them for responding! I would not mind a few more - all I ask is that you be EXPERIENCED with DarkBASIC and at least somewhat proficient with SketchUp.

Models and programs of good quality developed by Beta Testers will be included with the product as demos, with full credit given to each person. Beta Testers who provide a meaningful contribution will also receive a free, fully-licensed copy of the final product.

Interested Beta Testers should contact me at convseo@systemsinnovationinc.com. I will then contact you in return to ensure we have a good fit before we start the process.

There have been a lot of "views" of this post with very few return comments. Come on, people - I want to hear any opinions you have.

[ END EDIT ]

The plug-in is called 'ConvSEO', which stands for Convert SketchUp-Exported Objects. Here is a list of the main features:

* Imports from Google SketchUp via the KMZ file format that Google SketchUp exports for use with Google Earth.

* Imports from SketchUp Professional via the industry-standard OBJ file format.

* Loads and manages multiple models. ConvSEO can automatically apply offsets and rotations to models as they are loaded, allowing you to place and orient them as required. You can then hide, show and exclude (on/off) an entire model with a single command at run time.

* Recognizes SketchUp groups. Groups are easily located by name at run time, and you can then hide, show and exclude (on/off) any group with a single command.

* Provides access to a wide range of information about a model and any groups it contains. This includes min/max dimensions, material color properties, DarkBASIC object and image indexes, and so on. ConvSEO can also generate a comprehensive report listing all of this information for any or all models, which you can then print out for easy reference.

* Allows you to conserve resources by sharing common texture images across multiple models. You can also specify the starting object number and starting image number for a model before it is loaded.

* Brings real-world units into DarkBASIC. SketchUp works with dimensions like inches and feet, and these are translated directly to DarkBASIC units by ConvSEO. This means that, if you use the inches scale in SketchUp, then one “unit” in DarkBASIC will equal one inch in your model.

* When importing from an OBJ file, automatically combines geometry that uses the same material, within a group, into as few objects as possible to help maximize your frame rate.

* Automatically splits high-face-count geometry into multiple objects when the number of faces in an object would exceed the DarkBASIC limit of 21844 faces per mesh.

* Supports a “private binary file format” that is suitable for saving and loading models via Dark-BASIC memblocks. You can convert a model to this format with a single command, and then package the resulting binary data with your application to keep your model safe and secure. Binary files also load much faster than the original model file since the entire text-parsing process is eliminated and all the conversion math has already been done.

* Provides fast processing, even for large files. The 'Roman City' model in the following screen shots weighs in at over 16MB – and the plug-in can parse and render this model in about 5 seconds on a laptop PC with only a 1.6GHz mobile CPU.

* Returns a success/error code for nearly every command, allowing you to ensure that every action you requested was in fact carried out.

* Automatically informs both the DarkBASIC compiler and runtime of its dependencies on DarkBASIC DLLs. This means that you do not have to insert meaningless code into your DarkBASIC applications to ensure that the proper DLLs are loaded.

* ConvSEO was developed with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, and does not require the .NET runtime to operate.

The following screen shots show the current capabilities of the plug-in. NOTE: I downloaded these models from the Google SketchUp 3D warehouse. They are not my own creations. I am using them for illustration purposes only and do not intend to use them in any commercial sense without the authors' permission.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

#1: 'Roman City' Model in SketchUp

#2: 'Roman City' after importing into DBPro:

#3: Walking through the 'Roman City' model:

#4: Inside a building, looking out at the street:

#5: A swimming pool somewhere in the city:

#6: A street with construction zone items, in SketchUp:

#7: The construction zone in DBPro:

#8: Another construction zone view, showing a transparent 'fence':

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 22:11
Very cool looking . Sketch up isn't free is it?

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 22:15
Google SketchUp is free for personal use. The plug-in supports this version and the Pro version. This lets you model for free all through the development process and, once you think it makes sense, you can purchase the pro version to obtain the rights to use your models in a commercial application.

If you just want to create models for your own use, there is no cost to you at all other than the price of the plug-in.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 23:49
if it imports sketchup OBJ models, will it import regular OBJ models, like from 3ds MAX?

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 00:31
Three words dude...

O
M
G

Awesome I thought SketchUp was for wanna be artists.But it seems from the shots you provided that it can actually be used in games. Excellent idea, hope to try soon

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=82195&b=8
Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 04:40 Edited at: 27th Aug 2006 04:55
@BULLSHOCK 2

SketchUp utilizes a specific subset of the OBJ format and that is what the plug-in is designed to process. It's not really designed as a general-purpose OBJ importer... at least so far.

If you have a (small) OBJ file from 3DS that you can share, e-mail me and I will see what it would take to make it work.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 05:07
this is pretty narly!

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 16:29
i Emailed you,this looks very nice.if this works we dont need 3DWS anymore,we could also just use SketchUp free!

FPSC-Toolkit in the make.Progress log:
FPSC-Segments 35%---FPSC-Entity 's 0%---FPSC-Signs 0%
FPSC-Decals 0%---FPSC Characters 0%
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:09
O
M
G

uberness!

and this works with the native sketchup format?

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:15
With the Exported model to Google Earth this works with the free version!

YAY!

else,with the payd one it works with the .OBJ format of the Sketchup model.thats what ive read

Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:19
@Hawkeye:

Quote: "* Imports from Google SketchUp via the KMZ file format that Google SketchUp exports for use with Google Earth.

* Imports from SketchUp Professional via the industry-standard OBJ file format."

The plug-in DOES NOT support the native .SKP format. There are 2 reasons for this. #1: The SketchUp Toolkit is very complicated to use; #2: The SketchUp Toolkit requires the .NET runtime.

On the other hand, the SketchUp KMZ and OBJ exporters are already done and work just fine, so there is no reason to deal with the native .SKP format.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:21
I e-mailed you yesterday, but I haven't got a reply

My e-mail is rpgmakerx2@hotmail.com

I would really love to beta test!

Great job!

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Yet another reason to switch from DBC to DBPro Nice job. Looks great!

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:25
i had my reply in an hour or something like that

Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:28
I'm in the USA on the East Coast. Sorry guys, gotta sleep sometime. I try to answer e-mails as soon as I see them.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:32
I'm on the same coast as you, Pita

Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:33
@Xenocythe,

Check your inbox. I replied this morning.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:38
Wait a min,

if this loads the object to an object number,we should be able to make an object converter from Google Earth models to Dark Basic Objects...

intresting idea i made...but i guess its more complicated then i just thought

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:43
If you could Import Google Earth Objects, you could Import the planet earth... and if I'm not mistaken that would be kind of difficult

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:44
Quote: "Imports from Google SketchUp via the KMZ file format that Google SketchUp exports for use with Google Earth.
"

o.0 i meant it like that.

Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:50
@Accel Leon,

ConvSEO has only one purpose in life: to import from SketchUp. As such, it is designed very specifically around the characteristics of the files that are produced by SketchUp. That's what makes it fast. It also means that ConvSEO cannot process just any KMZ file.

So, yes, it is a bit more complicated than that. But that doesn't mean your idea is bad or wrong, or even impossible. Keep throwing out ideas - it's the best way to make improvements.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 18:03
Actualy,i was thinking loudly.

hmm...idea's...

Collision detection with the .kmz models,how will that work?i mean,i dont think general collision codes will do it with the Sketch up models.

Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 18:19
Collision detection is purposely left to the user to implement after importing the model. Proper grouping in the SketchUp model will be important in this respect; ConvSEO provides commands to retrieve the DBP object numbers that are part of a group, so based on that it should be possible to create a collision box around all the objects in a group, or even calculate individual collision against the objects within a group if needed.

This is in fact one of the topics that I hope to explore as part of the beta testing. If, in the process of creating DBP apps, collision turns out be a major pain, then it may indicate the need to add features to the plug-in to make that type of thing easier.

I do not claim to be a DBP expert by any means, so to be frank I may not be able to answer every question just yet. That is why I am asking for 'experienced' DB'ers to help me ring this thing out.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 18:22
i cant do collision very well,thats why i asked it

Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 13:31 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 13:32
It wont make 3dws useless...because 3dws still has the main reason why I bought it. Lightmapping.

Almost forgot....that looks very very impressive!

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 14:14
it wont be useless indeed,maybe i told it to harsh?its just that Sketchup free can be used too then

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 00:45
Good idea for making this, and you got me hooked on sketchup now .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 18:27
i wish i had DBP now im useless at 3d moddelling, but sketch up made it very easy, to make basic objects.

This looks brilliant. If it worked for DBC aswell, even better!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:32:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:32:01