Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Block Hopper

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 04:26 Edited at: 27th Aug 2006 04:26
This game is very early in progress (I started it about 14 hours ago). My aim for this one is that you "hop" your player around the blocks of different heights using a gradually replenishing energy reserve of some kind. I'm not decided on "weaponry" as such, but I'm thinking of either having things you pick up around the board (to encourage movement) or have a weapon which takes time to reload. My initial idea is to have a missing which fires vertically upwards and gradually turns to home in from above, however it would be slow to react which would give the person a chance to hop out the way - given the right timing.

My main aim for the future is to utilize the Tempest Multiplayer plugin which is a fantastic way of doing multiplayer - much better than the built in method. On top of this, players will be able to skin themselves (see screenshot in later post).

Anywho - this post has an attached screenshot of the game. I'll work in getting a "working demo" up in a few minutes.

[center]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 04:35 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 21:03
Here is the demo version - Controls are:
Hold Left Mouse button to charge the jump.
Move mouse left and right to change direct.

This game is nowhere near complete - so there are plenty of bugs.

Known issues:
1) You can go off map
2) Collision not perfect, you can hit the sides of blocks but not fall down properly... Have idea's to fix this - just need time.
3) Lighting goes wierd on player during power up. Probably due to the scale object. Possible sollution could be animation. Problem - lack on know-how! Any idea's with gameSpaceLight 1.5 or Blender (which I cannot use to save my life)?

Anywho - feedback appreciated!

Btw: Compiled with 6.2, so you'll be needing the latest DX9.0c December edition or whatever it needs... There is info on this at my thingy ma jig site, seems you only need one DX File...

[center]

Attachments

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 07:14
So is this like some kind of puzzle shooter? Sound interesting, may download in a little while.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Grrrr. None of your games ever work on any of my computers! I wish I could try it. Looks neat!

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 19:10
Why does it work? Could it be a max res issue? I tend to hardcode my demo's to run at 1280x1024x32 as thats what my system runs best in. I'm working on it right now - will try to make the next demo 1024x768x32.

Currently using my newly purchase Ultimate Unwrap 3D to UV Map a nice missile

[center]
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 19:47
Noes! Now it won't run in my monitor's native resolution. Make some crappy BASIC menu choice thing for the resolution or something.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 20:29
Hey, this is really nice! I kinda love the graphics

I found another little 'problem'. If you turn too fast, the blob will like, rotate beneath the ground. In the attached screenshot you actually see the bottom of the blob.

But it sounds like/looks like an interesting game.

Attachments

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 20:31 Edited at: 27th Aug 2006 20:32
hehe - thats what I plan to do for the final version. This is the missile I've been working on...
EDIT:
Screeny:

@Freddy: Thanks for pointing that out. I'd noticed that today and thought it was just a little glitch. I'll just limit the tilt amount

Thanks for trying it!

[center]

Attachments

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 00:44
Not bad but look and feel is far too similar to gem towers game. Even the cubes look exactly the same, the rotation method is similar, etc. A bit more originality is required.

Boo!
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 01:08
I must admit, I did use the same settings for the cubes as was used in the Gem game (and I will credit him). Thanks for the comment.

[center]
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 02:00
:-( Got this error: "Runtime error 1507 - Display using 32 bit is not supported by available hardware at line 1"

Changed my display as you've said, same error... snif!

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 21:14
Interesting - your system probably cant handle 1280x1024x32... I'll add a resolution checked to the next version.

[center]
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 03:31
You just love to use shaders, don't you The graphcs here are as good if not better than Dodge The Fart lol.

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 11:06 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 11:14
Quote: "You just love to use shaders, don't you"

I do - but this uses no shaders. I actually used Asylum's method he describes in his Program announcement for the gem game. I'm going to credit him, however I dont think its plagarising as its just a techinique (rounding the edges and applying some specular settings).

EDIT: Interesting - just tried it on my work PC and it crashes. Just one of those "Sorry for the inconvinience" messages. No idea why - although my work machine has the graphical prowess of a 10 year old Nokia...

[center]
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 11:20
Quote: "Interesting - your system probably cant handle 1280x1024x32"

Hi, it's quite strange because I work with this resolution on my PC. So I'm sure at 100% that it can handle it. But I remember I had similar problems with my own game when I set it up for the 800 X 600 mode. But I can't remember what was wrong.

Anyway... the game looks nice. Hope I can try it once.
Cheers!!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:26:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:26:54