Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / skybox I created using Bryce 5

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 09:06 Edited at: 27th Aug 2006 09:07
The first skybox I created using Bryce 5. Seems a little grainey to me but, all 6 images blend together. So now I'll play around with the other settings and see what they do.

Just unzip to the skybank directory
Use it however you want.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 09:08
...and screenshot

Attachments

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 10:32
Nice, and I got your email and got my copy of Signs3. Thank you very much. Makes segment and detail creation allot faster. Played around a little but was still putting everything back together after formating the drives on this so I'll do more later.

If theres anything I can help ya with....feel kinda lame getting the prog for answering a thread. Anyways, great job.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 11:15
My Second skybox came out better, I Figure in a few weeks I'll have this down and I'll have better results.

Locrian - Not to worry, I do this everytime I release a new version. Feels good to send some free ones out every once an awhile. But, if I ever do need help on something I'll let you know and I appreciate the offer.

On your addition segment request. You can't just copy new meshes in because they each line up slightly different. My original idea was to add some more of the current ones into signs with the proper settings. But, again you would get stuck with ones that I put in. So I am working on an idea where users could create a room using the fpsc segment editor and then Signs would allow you to enter the values or maybe read the fps file into signs. And then from signs you could select different custom rooms. Maybe then other users would share custom rooms with users to load into their copy of signs. The first step is to see if users create new overlay decals for the floors and walls and even some new frames.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this but....I hope you get my point. I want to make signs fully customizable but, I am not sure the users would take advantage of the features that make it open.

Have fun with Signs
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 13:05
Would you ever consider creating an application that created skyboxes for FPSC, TSchwarz? Sort of like "Signs", but instead, "Skybox"?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:32
That would be cool.A skybox maker.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 18:28
Guys Guys...Bryce 5 for free does it. It's the old why re-invent the wheel theory. It took me a few hours to fiqure out the settings (I even had to search the web for one of setting). Once you have the steps to create a skybox it seems to be consistant and only takes 10 minutes to create a basic one.

If anyone needs it I will create a step by step guide on how to make skyboxes in Bryce 5.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 18:38
I need it.

Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 18:56
i need it too, and wow, fredp actually needs a guide on how to do something!!!!

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 19:16
i need it.

Aliens are real! you all laugh at me now and think I'm crazy! but when I post a video of me with an alien, you will all be sorry!!!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 19:18
@tschwarz

Yeah, I think a lot of us could use that.

On a side note, I was checking out your Signs 3.1 Lite and I noticed that when I created a wall entity and gave it the "None" sound effect, it gave it a 3, or metal sound in the fps file.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 19:49
I'll put something together today on skyboxes.

Thanks - xplosys I will check it out, I'm not sure if I tested the none option, I was more concerned that they made a sound. LOL
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 20:35
A tutorial on Bryce skyboxes would be great, TSchwarz - I'll add my "I need it!" vote here. Many thanks in advance.

I was suggesting a "Skybox maker" after the "Signs" fashion because "Signs" is so quick and easy to use. And I am, despite my best efforts, fundamentally a very lazy, intelligence-challenged individual. And I secretly suspect that Bryce is smarter than me.
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 23:20
A skybox tutorial would be very helpful!
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 05:37 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 05:38
Here is a tutorial on how to create
skybox images using Bryce 5

http://www.fpsconline.com/news.asp

Remember to Pause the video and write down the
values. You will need them each and every time
you create skyboxes.
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 19:27
Thank you very very much.
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 19:30
Thanks a lot!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 16:38
tschwarz,

Nicely done on the video tutorial. I was going to release a tutorial on this but you've just saved me a ton of time

"Trust no one" --Deepthroat (X-Files)
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 16:58
Thanks, tschwarz.

Nice job.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 18:33
I played around with the up and down images. Using the following values in bryce will rotate the up and down images correctly.

up -90 0 0

dn 90 180 0
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 01:22
tschwarz,

In your tutorial you didn't address the issue of the .DDS conversion. Or are you able to just use the .bmp files directly?

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 02:24
The .bmp's load just fine. The first post has the first skybox I created so, you can test that out if you want.

Does everyone know how to get the skybox working in fpsc once the images are created? or should I create a part 2 or maybe someone else wants to do that.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 22:40
SkyCubes - I looked into this a little further and though the tutorial really didn't get into anything other than creating the images in Bryce I found that the bmp files are not the best format for size. I like using .png so I converted the images to .png and they loaded without problems in FPSC, and the size was reduced quite a bit.

Thanks for bringing that up.
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 01:46
I convert all mine into .DDS format. I guess I was under the impression that the images needed to be in .dds/.tga format in order to work correctly.

If you're going to do a part 2 of the video tutorial, you may want to consider addressing the issue of custom sky folders for folks. I'm not sure if you are aware, but unless they simply replace the defualt skycubes with the new images and alter the .x file to match, they need to create the folder structure in a certain way or it won't work correctly.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 03:27 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 17:01
SkyCubes - you are correct about the directory structure. Would you do me a favor and download the attached zip file, unzip to your skybox folder and let me know if this works for you. I know there have been some issue where users said they had problems getting skyboxes in to fpsc. So, before I do a tutorial or maybe just write a little utility that will take the skybox images and place everything into fpsc I would like to verify this works on other computers.

Anybody else that could try this and let me know if the skybox works in your fpsc would be helpful.

Edit: All files are included now. Download fixed.

Attachments

SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 16:20
tschwarz,

Your file is missing the _U image.

No matter, for testing purposes download the attached skycube. It's a Black Skycube that someone requested. All of the directory and file name structures are correct.

If people plan on making custom skycubes to share with the community, I would suggest the get the freeware Click Team Install Creator (what I used on the attached download). It's very simple to use and you can have the installer drop the custom skycubes right where they need to go within the FPSC directory for instant usage.

Attachments

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 17:27
SkyCubes - yes that's what happens when I try to multi-task. I fixed the file and the up image is now included.

Ok I see but, I was more after duplicating how TGC did the dir's, where there is a theme name and then the 3 chr folders under there. I guess that was what I was wondering.

Anyway, thanks for your responses

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 10:22:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 10:22:28