Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] Members Beware of MT I: Follow up!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 21:10
The thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=87617&b=24 was locked when typing my response, but I think my findings are still valid......

OK, I've done a comparisment of both guns and they\'re not the same at all. Both are modeled by different persons. MT Inc\'s model isn\'t just a poly reduced model of GPS\'s gun, their both independantly modeled guns.

For you who do not have the luxury of owning a 3D application to do side by side comparisments, I\'ve done a render. Just study it carefully and you\'ll see in no time that we\'re not talking about one and the same model here.

KeithC, it\'s not only the polygon count which is different, the base of both models are completely differently.

Note the magazine for example. It\'s completely differently. If you would poly reduce, you still get the curve, but it\'s not there.

Note the grip..... completely differenty modeled again.

Note the trigger.... GPS\'s model lack detail, while MT Inc\'s has lot\'s of detail. Poly reduction doesn\'t add details, it\'s omits.

Also not the scope, once again completely differently modeled.

In both models you can notice a distinct modeling style and there are completely differently model techniques and styles used in each model.

I may not be known as a modeler around here, but I\'ve been doing it for over 8 years by now. I\'m not doing as much game content modeling as I used to (got different focusses now), but the chance it very great that you\'ve all played games with one or more of my models in it, be it as sprites.

Enough said after examining the 2 models my conclusion is that they do not have the same author at all.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 21:37
if you read the thread, we said we do not know if that was even the same model and locrain denied that it was, please dont spam the forums with threads like this.

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 21:43
Benjamin A,

Greetings. I tend to agree. Similar, but not Identical. The differences are subtle, but obvious, if you take the time to analyse the models. Kinda like one of those What's Different About These 2 Pictures? puzzles that you might see in the comic section of the Sunday paper.

It's easy to understand how models of nonorganic manufactured object might be strikingly similar. 3D model creation is very much a machine-like process.

If we were talking about something organic, I'd never to expect to see two of the same model. Even the same artist couldn't do that from scratch.

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 22:00
Some people are far too nice and trusting.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 22:50
I studied the models and their wireframes, Ben. You are correct about the meshes being different (such as the bracket just above the grenade launcher, and the grenade launcher grip); let's not forget that each modeler is using a similar reference image. In some cases you may have 2 modelers using the same image reference; however models are almost (I stress almost) like fingerprints, each modeler has there own style/process in reaching the finished product...and it usually reflects upon scrutiny.

I am not doubting (never said I did) that the model in question is not the same one as GPS's (the modifications necc. to make the mesh that much different would be more time consuming then to just create one from scratch). Because of MT Inc.'s "borrowing" of another artist's texture work (where there was a clear prohibition on such actions), I am weary of any work MT does in the future. I have stated this. MT has to earn the trust back.

I always look at more than just the poly count.

-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 08:26:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 08:26:22