Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [AI Compo] Railrider

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 12:16 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 12:20
Well, just 3 days to go, so here is my Dark AI competition WIP.

Most people associate AI with FPS or RPG games, so I've gone for a completely different style. Railrider is a simple arcade style game where you naigate around the tracks to collect tokens. The first to collect 5 tokens, you or the computer player, wins the round.

Dark AI is used for:

Computer navigation around the track (AI Paths)
Setting level intelligence by manipulating waypoints in memblocks
Special effects (to add)
Preventing trains from double-backing (memblock waypoints)
other stuff!!!

There's loads more to add, such as sounds, hi scores, effects, and a full menu system. But please have a play and let me know what you think. Download attached

Controls - just the left and right arrow keys!

Hit your opponent and you will stop, turn and go back in opposite direction (will lose tokens in final version)

Fail to turn at a T-junction and you will stop and reverse (losing valuable time)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 12:17 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 12:17
Screenie 1

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 12:18 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 12:18
Screenie 2

Attachments

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 13:25
Very 2 faced driver that computer...

Half of the time it drives round the track like its in a dodgem car (straight for me at every possible moment). the rest of the time it drives like an old granny at 1 mph, and I get stuck behind it on the long straights

Very addictive actually, but starting level 3 it says object does not exist (line 2942)... But aside from the little hiccup, it's great!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 14:07
Thanks for the feedback. There are only 2 levels at the moment, but my level editor (which I'll provide in the final version) means I can throw out new levels in under 2 minutes. Because the levels are defined in a Lua script (including speed, tokens to collect etc), you can create dozens of levels without recompiling.

The opponent isn't as intelligent as you think. He's driving slower than you, hence getting stuck behind him (and frustrated!). He takes a fairly accurate path to the tokens, but because the waypoints have been altered in a memblock, he never takes the perfect path. That makes him unpredictable, and likely to drive towards you when you least expect it.

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 14:15
Really nice game . It's original (I like the idea) and funny. The only problem is the loading (more than 30 sec for the 2nd level) .
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 15:19
Quote: "The only problem is the loading (more than 30 sec for the 2nd level) "

I still have to add the transition between levels. It's not going to be spectacular given the time, but like you say, it needs something to let you know it's loading. The time it takes is because the track is created "on the fly" for every level. It has to work out which bits of track to put in each tile, and work out how the carriages are allowed to travel between them.

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 16:45
Took like 2 or 3 seconds for mine to load level 2...
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 00:47
Took no time for it to load here.
A few bugs:
Scores sometimes flicker and don't reset on the next level until you get more than five.
You can sometimes see gaps around the edge of the number in the scores.
The car seems sometimes to not be on the rail properly.
The car often moves jerkily instead of at a constant speed. Are you using curvevalue to get to each section. If so, that is the problem.

Apart from that, it was a very good game

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 20:05
Did you download the latest version? It's now in the Program Announcements, with a lot of updates...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=87895&b=5

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:26:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:26:19