Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New to Dark Basic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 20:56
First thing's first. I know absolutely nothing about programming, but I really want to learn. After doing a bit of scouring on the net I heard that Dark Basic is the most simple peice of kit for newcomers to learn to use.

Basically I've so far designed a game on paper that I want to make. It's a game based on the film Ghostbusters. I would like to know, would it be possible to create a really good game based on this movie with this software? If so, how realistic can you make an FPS using Dark Basic Pro?

I'm what the Internet was made for!
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 22:12 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 22:22
Welcome to the forum!

Quote: "I would like to know, would it be possible to create a really good game based on this movie with this software? If so, how realistic can you make an FPS using Dark Basic Pro?"

I really think those questions depends on your skills as a programmer. Not really the language

You would be able to make it good and realistic if you have the skills for it, yes.

Since you say that you know absolutely nothing about programming, I wouldn't recommend that you start with this kind of a project! Think small As you make more and more smaller projects, you will learn a lot of stuff that you will all be able to use together in this project. But don't think there's a shortcut to this progress. In my oppinion, this progress requires that you really want to learn how to program.

You could start off by reading some tutorials and then create your own small projects with what you learn Put your knowlegde together in your own project.

I think a great place to start would be here:
http://members.thegamecreators.com/tutorialcity/

That website is filled with great tutorials!

What I've learned the time I've programmed is that I always seem to get the grasp of something new a lot better if I try to write a program with what I've just read about, instead of just reading it and then continue. And also try to explain what's actually going on. Explain myself what this and that will do and how it works etc... Then I'm having a much easier time learning something.

Now don't think programming isn't fun at the same time! When you create projects, or small demos with something you've just learned how to do, I think you will be jumping around in your room of happiness Hehe. Programming is fun. But at the same time it requires that you're minded on using time to learn it before you'll see the kind of results that you're having floating around in your head.

I hope you'll have fun here!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 06:12
Quote: "First thing's first. I know absolutely nothing about programming, but I really want to learn. After doing a bit of scouring on the net I heard that Dark Basic is the most simple peice of kit for newcomers to learn to use.

Basically I've so far designed a game on paper that I want to make. It's a game based on the film Ghostbusters. I would like to know, would it be possible to create a really good game based on this movie with this software? If so, how realistic can you make an FPS using Dark Basic Pro?"

First, realize that programming takes patience, you won't learn overnight

How much of your game have you designed? What is it like? From your comment it seems that you don't know what programming is like . When you ask a question like "is it possible" it doesn't depend on the software's ability, but your own. Really anything is possible, though some things very difficult, but it all depends on your ability. The realism is all up to you once again.

Just a question: how would you think you make a game? I need to understand this before I continue because if you knew the correct answer you wouldn't be asking those questions .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Gamedesign er20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 15:47
What you should do is forget about your Ghostbuster game (Or put it on hold) and look at some tutorials. Once you get to know some basic commands, you can grip what programming is somewhat about. Try to come up with a fun but small mini-game. Then try to imagine which codes you would use to make some parts of the game.

Cocacola and Pepsi aren't that differnt. Deal with it.
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 16:17
Quote: "I would like to know, would it be possible to create a really good game based on this movie with this software?"

With any programming language your only limit is what you can program. When you program you are writing instructions for the computer to follow, so you can make it do whatever you want, as long as you can program it. Of course, you can't tell the computer how your game works in plain English, but Dark Basic is the closest there is.

With larger programs like complicated games, translating your ideas into code gets harder so you'll need lots of practice. But, learning simple commands and making simple programs is easy, so start there. Read lots of tutorials and make simpler games. Then you can move up to more complicated ones.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 07:37:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 07:37:08