Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Your World

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 20:31
Would it be possible to make a game like GTA and Driver, if you had all the models you need? And if you can is there any limitations? And can you make it that you can go into buildings?

As you can see by this i am a real beginner but I would just like to know can it be done?

www.keep-me-laughing.com ROCKS!!!!!!
Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 23:10
Hi Wizzkid,

Darkbasic might not be as customizable and flexable as some of the mid-level languages like C++, but you can still make high quality games with it.

To be honest, Darkbasic is that good, that if you put hours and days and weeks and months of time into a game, you could end up with something as good as GTA, and I mean just like GTA or even better.

However, you've still got to learn the basics of programming, learn the basics of Darkbasic, and learn a lot more. Then you can start making really good games. If you learnt as much as you possibly could, meaning a few hours or more every day, you could be starting to program 3D worlds in less than a month.

It just requires will power, patience, determination and enthusiasm. Grand Theft Auto and Driver weren't made overnight, it took a year or two to make them.

Your only limitation is your own imagination!

Have fun with Darkbasic, I know I am, and I've only started to seriously program for under a month now! I hope it goes well!

www.tornupgaming.com
The home of free games and game projects.
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 23:12
Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: Yes, but it will take lone (or small groups) programmers phenominally long times to make games of such a scale.

Regarding going into buildings? Of course, you're limited only by your imagination (assuming you have the necessary coding/modelling etc skills)
Drunken Fiesta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 17:47 Edited at: 7th Sep 2006 17:49
If you're talking about making a world as huge and continuous as San Andreas the only real problem is memory management, deciding what gets loaded and where. I've been trying to figure this one myself, and what I've figure out so far is you need to break the world down into smaller segments and have the game only load data for the segment you're in and the surrounding 8 segments (left, right, up, down, upper left, upper right, lower left, lower right). Of course you need to sudoku on the thing's ass and make sure you're not repeating object numbers, so it may be a good idea to designate a maximum number of objects and have certain boxed be objects 1-1000, others be 1001-2000, and so on. Or find out what the maximum number of objects is and divide it by 9, as you're only loading to nine 9 segments. I'm not sure myself, and that would be really nice to know.
I think this is how GTA:SA does it, because if you listen to the PS2 itself that poor thing is going into overtime constantly reading from the disc.
The major time consumption comes when you try to draw everything and then put it into code.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 04:56 Edited at: 8th Sep 2006 04:57
Yes, but keep in mind that the PS2 only has 32MB total of memory. GTA also plays mp3 at the same time. The buffer must be TINY, as well.

In QII/QIII map formats there are areaportals that help to break it up into separate maps, but that is not really a very workable solution...it makes the map act like separate levels, and I am not certain that it could easily be made to look seamless. I think that you will find that games as detailed as GTA series are a hodgepodge of billboards, bsp, procedural textures and rods, buildings, etc. There are ways of faking it, I am sure.

Very interesting thread, BTW. (...of the 1,000 GTA threads I have read, that is.) OH...you need DarkMatter3!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 14:35
its not a buffer issue but dedicated hardware for each component

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 23:00
Thanks for all your posts. I didn't know if it was possible or not. But yes i do know it would take an awful long time to make. Thanks and just wondering would DB Pro make a game like that better?

Just out of curiosity, what language does DB and DB Pro use?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 07:29:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 07:29:33