Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3D space flight

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 22:54
Ok, so I'm trying to make a small game where you can fly about randomly in a spaceship.

I would like to know people's opinions and ideas on this, how would I make some space type backgrounds or sky spheres or something? Basically I want to know some ways of making an effective 3d starscape ( I think that's what you call it ) background. Any response will be helpful ^_^
Screw the rules! What can I blow up???
Redostrike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 23:41 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 23:46
Do you mean a background whit stars? If so i can try.

Only heroes live forever
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 23:50
To make stars, use something like this:

Or for white stars:

To make a space background, click the "Source" button.

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors." -Anon.
<--- Uh... Um... Oh I forgot
Pyromaniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 01:22 Edited at: 13th Apr 2003 01:22
I think what i need is something that would work similarly to that windows screensaver with all the stars flying towards the screen, but with a speed that could be altered when you acelerate your ship, etc (i've tried searching the net for this type of DBpro code, and i'm sure it already exists, but i cant find it anywhere)

Screw the rules! What can I blow up???
Muddleglum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 01:40
You get a reasonable effect by making a series of plain objects, (textured transparently with bright dots) that are pointed towards the camera.
You use a timed interval for each plain, and as each interval expires,
set the object to the camera position, then set it's orientation to the camera - ( you COULD try then randomly 'pitching' or 'turning ' it VERY SLIGHTLY ) and 'move' it away ( ahead) into the distance. As the camera moves forward, stars will then emerge in front and zoom past. Fog ON can help if you make the move ahead distance short. It can't be too far ahead as turning your camera might then place the plains mostly out of sight to the side.
It is totally unrealistic and out of scale to reality but it looks like movement through space.
The 'stars could be drawn very dull and thought of as 'space dust' .. also artificial .. but gives sense of movement .

Probably one should have also a sky sphere or box with nebulae /dot stars etc for it's texture. ( continually positioned at camera co-ords as usual)
muddleglum
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 21:50
To make things easier, I tend to make functions that take care of stuff. I call objects that stare at the camera "blobs" (Andre LaMothe's term from "Game Programming Gurus" series). Create a Function called BlobObject()

Saves a lot of typing in the future. Especially if you want planet blobs that fly past you (that looks really neato too!).

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 12:53
how about a particle type starfield.

a bunch of surfaces , the number of which depends on detail level.

fling them out only infront of the camera. rotate them for twinkle , and color / texture them for effect .
You can move through them at slow speed or fast. or move them.
having a few welltextured plains infront of the camera will work well depending on detail you need.
If it is "funscale" and you want to feel like fast moving through a star field then create a cone and point the tip away from the camera and texture it with a basic random star/dot pattern. then make shure you scroll teh UV coords of the texture on the cone object .
use:
SCROLL OBJECT TEXTURE Object Number, X, Y
you will get a fast moving starfield right up to warp tunnel effect. and if you ghost the whole thing and you have a good sky sphere with good detail it will look sweet . add an extra non ghosted cone outside the close one to gove movement depth to the effect .

and use sky spheres for the far off details.

where you want nebule(sp) make a slightly smaller sky sphere (ghost this object) and have companion textures with just the bright parts of the nebule . as you ship moves arround teh nebule will look cool as parts of it go in and out of alignement with the main sky sphere.

go look at the "real stuff" , heck some of it is not copywright and you can use it . but any how look at the real stuff and use it to make your model of space .

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

Old coder, returning to DB (DBP)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:44:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:44:39