Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / how do i change entity texture?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 00:33
when ever i try the entity is all white.

"I'm a lean mean speed thingy!" "What about my womanly needs?" "Send the kids to the neighbors cuz i'm coming back loaded!"
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 01:31
Have you ever tried reading the manual and/or using the search feature that the folks from TGC were nice enough to provide?
The answer is...no you don't.
If you are not going to try and learn anything for yourself and insist on posting question after question after question that you could find the answer to all by yourself and least post them all in the same thread and on the same forum board instead of making a new thread every time you have another question.
Also you should read the manual and use the search function.
The entity's texture is specified in the .fpe file.
If the texture is not specified there's a good chance you did not specify the texture.

Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Fred, it's not just him. I've tried to switch textures a number of times, but every time, either it goes all white, or the model itself doesn't even appear to have changed. The few times I did get it to work were with the assault rifle in Scifi. And I've read that manual five or six times all the way through, I still can't figure out what my problem is.

Formerly JMC...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 08:45
Did you try right clicking on the entity and picking the new texture?

Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, several times. Hasn't worked in design OR test mode yet.

Formerly JMC...
Predator boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 17:43
same here

"I'm a lean mean speed thingy!" "What about my womanly needs?" "Send the kids to the neighbors cuz i'm coming back loaded!"
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 18:52
The best way I found to do it is to insert the entity I want to change in the editor, and the bring up the properties to find what texture it is using. Find that texture and move it from the entity folder. Save it in a safe place. Put you new texture back in the folder and name it exactly what the old one was.

I have had luck with other ways but not all the time. Picking a new texture in the editor does not work in all cases, and when it does, you must remove other files that FPSC makes and remembers when you run the level or preview.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Well wouldn't an easier way be to use the provided Entity Creator? That's the only thing I haven't tried yet, and it would make sure the texture you're trying to use works.

Speaking of which, at what size do the characters have to be? I got some models from element5.info (paid a good ten bucks more than I was supposed to as well, a little ticked), and the models seem to be much smaller than the standard.

Formerly JMC...
GIR UNIT
User Banned
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 07:20 Edited at: 5th Sep 2006 07:21
Mabie you should get MagicFPS it helps a lot google it to fine it

*edit*
lol the reason i said this is you can create entitys really easy with it

TACOS OWN SO TO CANNONS
Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, well, some of us would rather do it simply with what we have available rather than pay $15 for something that, at least I know I'm not going to use very much. I don't know about you, but I have bills and the like to take care of before shelling out unnecessary moneys...

Formerly JMC...
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 08:15
There probably still screwed up from having a messed up texture at first, and not removing the old Bin/dlo files. I'm yet to see anyone say this here. What ever the problem is there not reading the forum no matter what they say cause this has all be covered before.

My guess is the old files and fpsc isn't even looking at your new texture. I'm not normaly this nice to crap thats been posted over 10 times so if this works consider yourself lucky I spoon fed ya.
Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea, Loc, I'll remember that the next time you go on another of your newb-crashing sprees toward people that don't even deserve it. And here I was starting to wonder why FPSC has so little support in the first place...yeah, some of us DO deserve a good slap, but not all of us are blessed with graphical knowledge and keen intellect to be able to figure this out on our own.

I never claimed to read the forum, I said I read the manual. I figured since this MIGHT have been caused by the update, I'd ask while the topic was up, because up till then, I HAD been able to get it to work. Now are you finished with the verbal abuse, or am I going to have to wear a cup the next time I get on the boards?

Formerly JMC...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 19:00
Quote: "Mabie you should get MagicFPS it helps a lot google it to fine it"

Magic FPS is good for making box or cylindrical shaped entities.
But its main fuction is making segments.

ECS Pro is what you would want to make entities.
If you are serious about maing games you will end up getting both programs anyway.
Another thing you might try is to use a UV mapping program (I use Ultimate Unwrap 3D).

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 19:29
Since this is on the very top and I'm not bumping I'll say this....

I never "Newb-crash" ones that don't deserve it. I always make sure and look up the threads that pertain to the offending post. This way I know the answers there. Now grant you sometimes it takes some creative search strings.....but when I spout off....you can belive the answers out there.....

And in response to your thinking it may have been caused by the update: Did you try and reinstall fpsc? See that would be a way to test and you'd know 100% one way or another. I had problems with the update myself...Characters became large and black and white, stuck in the ground. Reinstalled an all was fine. And I didn't push down one model or relevant thread in dealing with my problem..See things aren't that hard. My argument against the "Newbs", as you say, is the lack of common sense, and the "feed me the answer now cause I'm to lazy to look" mentality. Not that they ask questions. But rather the kinda questions they ask.

And feel free to ware a cup.....already figured you probably wore a helmet.
Predator boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 23:41
this is whaat happens when i try to change corpse a texture to aiko unarmed texture.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zeppelin 37BDF
Years of Service
User Offline
thats because the Aiko texture isn't made for that corpse. Make the aiko with a default.fpi for the AI main and press 1-6 to turn rotate it so it is lying on its back.
Predator boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 05:25
english:?????

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 06:20
He is saying the Aiko texture is for Aiko so it won't work properly with any other entity.

Predator boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 06:41
so how can i get it to look like its a dead aiko body?

Zeppelin 37BDF
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Make the aiko with a default.fpi for the AI main and press 1-6 to turn rotate it so it is lying on its back."

I said how to before.

Predator boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 23:27
i dont understand

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 00:33
Maybe you oght to switch the the 3D Gamemaker.

Predator boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 00:57
id make my own dead character entities if i knew how and what progrtams to use.

Zeppelin 37BDF
Years of Service
User Offline
wow...... Predator boy, why are you using FPSC. It defently is to complicated for you to handle.

Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 02:52 Edited at: 7th Sep 2006 03:00
Quote: "i dont understand"

I can understand that you find it hard to grasp certain aspects of FPSC. You've come to the right place for help, but some of the people here aren't the most helpful... Some don't want to go out of their way... Perhaps they want for you to discover and learn as much as you can on your own??? Anyhoo...

First thing: Did you take the time out to print out the manual, yes, in all its glory? You MUST print out the manual - if you haven't already. Read it day and night and it'll come to you. Yeah, it's quite a lot to take in, it's quite simple yet it can be very long-winded. You wait till you read-up on making your own weapon (it's not difficult to understand, but if you don't know how to make models or modify the defaults then making weapons can be a biatch!). But, regarding weapons, I believe some cleaver person has developed a program to help speed up the process. I haven't seen or used it so I cannot tell you more about it. You'll find a link to the site if you look hard enough... From what I remember, the Weapon Maker is poorly documented. Also, there is this curious program, in the making, called 'Character Maker' or something like that... That looks pretty exciting... Ok, back to the manual...

Page 39 tells you what you can do to change aspects of the AI Scripts.
To represent Aiko as a corpse you must do the following:

1) Bring her in without a weapon (I guess that's optional).
2) Right click on Aiko the character and you should bring up a close-up of Aiko and on the left is the AI Script. At the top of the script will be the name of the character, i.e. Aiko (no weapon).
3) Then where it says "Static mode" you then say yes - I think, as she's not going to do anything, she's, er, dead...
4) Where it says "Start" & "Main" I think you must change the entries to: Default.fpi <If I'm wrong someone please correct me> But it looks like the "Main" setting ought to do it.
5) I think you must then "Apply" the changes, come out and then rotate Aiko using the numeric keypad to have Aiko on her back (hope you're not a necrophiliac).

Hopefully, if you've followed the above correctly, you'll have Aiko as a corpse.

Perhaps you may want to experiement with changing her texture to make her appear wounded, etc. Don't ask me how! I don't yet know how to do this... But I hope to learn pretty soon!

Hope I've helped.

In the meanwhile take a look @ this site for some hope: Hope

Render & Dismember. Dehumanize Society With A Digital Death Deity.
Predator boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 05:00 Edited at: 7th Sep 2006 05:05
darn didnt work =(

Predator boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 05:17
btw heresd a glitch in my game i know its off topic but o well. it wont look like anything special but look at frame rate....

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "darn didnt work =("

What do you mean? What happened?

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 03:11
Quote: "it wont look like anything special but look at frame rate"

lol is that what i think it says?

148 FPS, lol.

3.2 Ghz PD Processor, 2 GB of (667 Mhz) RAM, 10,000 RPM HD,
ASUS GeForce 7950 GX2 (1 GB of onboard video memory)
Predator boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 03:28
um it didnt appear

Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "um it didnt appear"

You must be doing something wrong...

Predator boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 01:50
no im not i did everything u said to do...

Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 02:02 Edited at: 9th Sep 2006 02:03
Quote: "wow...... Predator boy, why are you using FPSC. It defently is to complicated for you to handle."

This time I gotta agree. Just because it's "drag and drop", it doesn't mean everyone's capable of using the program. And Predator Boy, if you're having a hard time understanding what we're talking about, I'd suggest laying off the FPSC and reading everything you can on these boards AND in the manual. Eventually you'll get enough information to at least make a passable demo.

@Locrian:
Given how stupid my town is (I often refer to it as "North Mexico", if that tells you anything), that stab was justified. I probably deserved that, if I didn't try using SWE all the time...

Formerly JMC...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 10:30:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 10:30:41