Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A Thing i have wanted to do for a while

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have always wanted to make a mmog/mmorpg

Can it be done in Dark Basic?

if so can u give me a hard shove in the right direction and maybe help me make it

Just an average guy... trying to make a place in the world
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 06:17
yes but don't start by making one, start small and work your way up. No, we can't help you make it from scratch, as in, do it for you, but yes we can help you make it as in give you tips and answer questions .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 09:50
"Can it be done in Dark Basic?"
well Someone once wrote some very useful information, i don't understand why noone ever see it!?

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?f=about

well goodluck writing a mmo game in darkbasic, seeing as it's hardly supported with multiplayer. you would need Benjamins Tempest Dll, but remember, mmo games are the hardest and most expensive to make (yes you need to pay money after the game is finished, to support the server that can support massive multiplayer.

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 06:05 Edited at: 11th Sep 2006 07:48
I think that this question has been asked about a million times, and so I think I will chime in.

DarkBasic lacks sufficient object-oriented tools for such an endeavor, IMO. However, the DarkBasic is simply (?!) a wrapper on code that wraps DX. I think that if you want to write large scale networked games, you should begin with the assumption that you will end up using DarkSDK/C++. The wrappers, and most code in Windows and DX is either C++ or assembler. C++ has far better tools for this type of programming.

Finally, I will say that Basic programmers have done many things that people said that they could not. Happy coding!

EDIT: I want to add that you could certainly write the client side of a MMORPG with DB. The server side is another matter, because you would need a lot of resources to manage so many players, and the network bandwidth to do it. The network portion of this type of game is essentially the game itself, so my advice would be to study client-server programming.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 04:47
Quote: "DarkBasic lacks sufficient object-oriented tools for such an endeavor"

Wrong.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 09:14
Oh it can be done. Easily and efficiently? That's a whole other problem. Darkbasic isn't exactly the strongest language of choice for network games.

"Using Unix is the computing equivalent of listening only to music by David Cassidy" - Rob Pike

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:27:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:27:37