Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / ball rolling game with NO plugins!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 19:39 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 15:39
Edit: You can now play and edit your own levels. See bottom of page.

This is going to be a ball rolling game with NO plugins. So far I have barely started the actual game, but have finished the level editor which is probably about a third of the work. I have an idea how to make a ball appear to roll using only euler angles
Also, no math is involved!

I'll tell you how it will work:

There will be 2 balls, one which I use for collision, etc. The other slightly bigger. The outer one will use alpha shading to be semi transparent. The inner one will rotate about the X axis, the other about the Z axis. The outer one will be faded based on the relationship between the X and Z spin speed. eg. If the ball is only rolling on the X axis, the outside one will be faded out completely, so you don't see the still texture of it. If both are the same speed, then the outside one will be faded to 50% to give the appearance of a diagonally scrolling texture.

Here are some screenshots of the level editor:

Controls:
Moving mouse to the right of the screen will show the specials. The number at the bottom is the force, red is the end and green is the start. Arrows make the ball go in there direction based on the force. Right click+drag to turn the camera. Arrowkeys to move. Shift+click to select.(it is not highlighted) Click to create a tile. This tile will be selected automatically. The menu items will automatically adjust for the camera rotation. If you set a tile as a special, click again on what you clicked on to make it special to make it normal again.

And the exe is attached with it's media in zip format:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 20:18
Very, very nice.

Do you use vertex manipulation?
Also the lightning of the segments looks really good, like cartoon-style.

Here you see what I mean.

If you build in a good ball-physics, this game may become great, so please don't loose your motivation.

Visit the DBPro - Speed up your game-Thread. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88661&b=1
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 20:25
Thanks!
Cool level

Yes, I do use vertex manipulation. I also wrote a function to calculate the normals for each vertex which is why it looks cartoony

I'm just adding saving/loading. Should be done in a few minutes... And I don't like double posting<hint>

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 20:33
*Follows hint*

Nice thingy,havent tested it though.im gonna wait till the games fairly much DONE!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 22:02
K, here is the finished level editor, with save/load capability. You first need to run GetDir.exe because the commandline messes with the current dir for some reason!

To load, drag the .tile file onto the exe. To save press "s". No files will be overwritten.

I am now starting the main game

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 23:34
Hmmm... Sounds interesting... I want to see the ball rolling in action. I need to see how you do the rolling down those hills with no plugins or math!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 23:45
Well, actually I am using a plugin, but it's free and you can get it to run without it, because I'm using raycasting in sparky's dll, which could be replaced with intersect object At the moment I'm just getting it working, so I will give you the source to a version without using sparky's dll when it's finished. (although it's free anyway!)

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 06:27
That's cool man. I'm working on a marble game as well, but in Newton. Nice to see people trying collision and physics on their own (like Bmad's project too). Keep it up it looks great!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Legend
Years of Service
User Offline
I love little games like this =), sorta reminds me of an old classic re-done, keep up the good work kid.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 23:07
Diggsey, yes raycasting can be replicated with INTERSECT OBJECT, but are you using any of the handy sliding collision/normal angle/position commands?

Then again I could be an ass and mention that all of DBP's commands are put into plugins that get included with the project

Anyways, lovin the editor, looks like itll be fun.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 21:37 Edited at: 16th Sep 2006 16:53

New screenys!

To play a level, drag it onto the exe. You must first run GetDir.exe before anything else. Same instrunctions for level editor.

Game instrunction:
Use arrowkeys to move ball. Move mouse to rotate camera. Right-click and drag to zoom.

Aim:

Get from the green to the red without falling off.

Final zip attached which includes the leveleditor:

edit:
A whole day and no comments?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 01:53 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 02:03
Looks awesome! Downloading now...

EDIT:
It looked cool, but it runstoo fast over here. The levels are impossible And the Level editor doesn't work either. I clicked on a tile and I got the error "Object Number Illegal at line (line number changes depending on the tile)". If these two things are fixed, I may have another look.

Also, if you could brighten things up in the actial game a bit it'd be nice! This has potential, and a few more things could boost it to be a great game!

Ummm...
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 14:03
I have added semi-timer based movement, but on slow computers it will still run slowly. I need the same move amounts, because of the physics stuff. It now just stops it running faster than 60fps (not by using sync rate though)
Also the ambient light can be altered now.
About the editor error, could you give me some more details?
What exactly are you clicking on to create the error. At the moment, if nothing is selected when you click on a toolbar button it will give you an error. Shift+click to select. Tiles will be selected when you create them automatically. If that is not the problem, maybe a screenshot? It works fine over here.
When I fix that error, I will re-upload it. Also, did you remember to run Getdir.exe first?

crpgchamp
Years of Service
User Offline
cool

my 360 webpage http://www.freewebs.com/crpgchamp
graphic deisgner for "Blue gun". Pm me if you are intrested.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:37:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:37:42