Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Segment Names Not Showing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 16:11
I've made some segments and they work great but, After closing FPSC or testing level, the segment names dissapear under the icons in the library panel on the left.

They still show OK in the large right window, when you go to choose a new one to use.

I thought maybe the names where too long or something but I've renamed them, no luck.

Doesn't matter whether I place my segments in..

segments/user/*
or
segments/MySegments/*

So location doesn't seem to matter.

Any ideas??

Rocky Raccoon
Ysengrin
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeaah same for me... I think its a bug.

"When there is no-more room in Hell, then the dead will walk the Earth"-Dawn of the Dead
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 18:24
The best thing to do, would take an image of the segment, and add the name on the image too, that way when the name is gone, you can read the image.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 19:03
when you use the segment maker from TGC, it creates a small BMP preview of your segment. This BMP is corrupted somehow. you'll notice if you click on it once there is no preview image available.

Open this bitmap in paint and make a dot with the pencil tool somewhere then save the image. You'll now notice that there is a preview of the .bmp available. This should stop FPSC getting so funny about your segments, although the odd one or two will still probably play up. I know it seems weird that not having a previewable image would stop the text appearing, but for me..it does.

try it out and get back to me on this thread, I'd be interested to know if it works for you

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 19:22
Butter,for some stragne reason,it apears to be working,stuff with no preview image will always have the name to dissapear here...thats why i make images most of the time...

Rocky Raccoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 04:09
I used the segment creator once to follow along with the tutorial and I get the same result with it's output as well.

I didn't use it to create my segment but I do have icons.

I wrote a VB prog to create script to drive a DBclassic prog to load the X files and textures (jpg copies of the DDS images) position, lights, camera, action...
Screenshot! Scale to 64x64, save as BMP done!

As a matter of fact my P4 just got done Sunday night creating segments from... 674 unique images...

257 Wall Segments (229 of the Walls are what I call 'RoomWalls' - repeatable textures, good for room walls)
179 Floor Segments
405 Ground Segments
102 Arch Segments

And for each RoomWall and Floor it also made a Room Segment.
179x229 = 40991 Room Segments

For a grand total of 42163 segements!!

13 DVD+R's worth if you include a full screen BMP (1.2MB)of the thumbnail of the segments that the thumbnails were created from.
I will be selling them on my web site when finished.

But that's ok. A bug's a bug.
I thought it was just me.

Rocky Raccoon
Rocky Raccoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 04:14
oops missed a post...

I have noticed that the BMP is corrupt already.
I can't see it in ACDSee32 (image viewer) but if I open in paintbrush I can see it. If I just simply resave it to the same file as a BMP. Still no luck. I think your right about the clicking once to make a 'dot' which tells paintbrush to actually save the image data in the picture. Knowing the file changed.

What I've had to do with MagicFPS is open in paintbrush, save as jpg, reopen, save as BMP. That way is ok. Most of the batch image convertors I've tried have the same problem. And I've also noticed the same problem in apps that were developed in DBPro compared to DBClassic which I use and have never had a prob.

Rocky Raccoon
Rocky Raccoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 08:09
That was tooo easy.

I figured out why Segment names do not show up under the icons in the Library View Pane after testing your level, or saving and reopening your level.

Localization.

Some Language files need to be present in the 'languagebank' for each directory and file in your segment, prefab and entity directories.

Look in ...
languagebank\english\textfiles\library\

(My language version is [english], yours may not be?)

And you'll see your segment, prefab and entity directories.

Look into each one and you will find a file for EACH directory AND file, for ALL your segments, prefabs and entities (that came stock with FPSC). Each file has the extension 'loc' (short for localization I guess).

The directory structure is a mirror of each of the respective directories where your segments, prefabs and entities actually are.

Inside each *.loc file is simply the actual text you want to appear in the Library Toolbar.

The actual names of the Segments while selecting a NEW one seems to go by the filename of the *.fps file, then finds a matching *.bmp file for the icon. And never seems to use the *.loc files till you get over to the Library View Pane. ?

It also seems to use the text in the *.loc files for the text in the 'TreeView' style control you use when navigating your libraries of media.

See my fixed names... Screenshot attatched.

I hope that helps out the rest of you.

Cheers.

Rocky Raccoon

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 12:43:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 12:43:23