Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DarkBasic Mouse over question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and to DarkBASIC so I hope my question doesn't come off as foolish. I've been racking my brain for the last couple of days trying to figure out this problem.

The main screen of my game consists of a town map which links to all the main locations of the game. My problem is that I can't for the life of me figure out how to have the game display the building name when the mouse moves over it. I've been able to have the building name show up on specific x,y coordinates but I'm not sure how I would go about marking the whole area as a 'hotspot' for the building description.

Obviously I'm not looking for someone to write the code for me (wheres the fun in that? ^_^) but if anyone could point me in the right direction with a few pointers or suggestions the help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 07:36 Edited at: 14th Apr 2003 07:37
Is this what you were looking for. There is a easyer way of doing it with gosubs but all well.

Kadath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 08:04 Edited at: 14th Apr 2003 08:05
Ahh this will certainly help, thank you very much! I'll have to work on devising a method with gosubs once I get a little more used to the code, this will deffinitely help for now though.

I'm off to try this out. Thanks again! ^_^

"This my man, was the American dream in action! We'd be fools not to ride this strange torpedo till the end" ~Hunter S. Thompson
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 10:36
I answered a question like this a few days ago - check it out for a more expandable system.

http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=8622&b=4
Kadath
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the input IanM but correct me if I'm wrong but your code is for DarkBasicPro is it not? Either that or I'm an idiot that can't figure this out, lol. I should have stated this more clearly but I'm using just regular ol' DarkBasic. I was going to try and see if your code was adaptable to DarkBASIC but I thought I would ask first, a simple yes or no is all I need. I like solving these kinda things myself, but I'm certainly not going to get into it if there is no way to change it to a working format for DarkBASIC.

What can I say?.. I thrive on the tedious. ^_^

Oh and just for some general info, assuming all goes well I may be posting a few screenshots within a week or two. Now don't get all jumpy thinking I'm moving to fast for a noob, lol, the games graphics are 2D and I'm just using Deluxe Paint II and Neopaint (my old friends hehe..) to whip together the graphics real quick like. The game itself was ment to be purely a 'demo' game to get my feet wet in DarkBASIC it's just happened to snowball from there. I thought I would mention it because I think the game itself has at least a somewhat interesting premise.. More on that later though.

"This my man, was the American dream in action! We'd be fools not to ride this strange torpedo till the end" ~Hunter S. Thompson
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 22:43
Yes - Apart from the box command that I couldn't get to blank the previous text for some strange reason...

If you want to solve it yourself, don't let me stop you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:42:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:42:08