Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / whats a game with no world

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 20:01 Edited at: 12th Sep 2006 22:31
Im back to learn as i left quit a while ago for c++ but itll take me ages to make a game in that so im trying dbp, my question is how do i load a hieght map and texture it o yea and camera and lights might be helpfull too.

thanks!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 22:15
Having to ask these questions suggests you should start with the masses of tutorials around here. There's a list stickied at the top of thes board.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 22:21
Maybe the real question should be: What's a sentence without punctuation?

dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
ive looked for tutorials but thers non on an rpg, and ove allready tried to make a game before so i have some idea on what to do
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 20:05
Sorry if we misunderstand, but you are asking for information on how to use cameras and lights. If you don't know how to work with a camera, you're not even 1% towards writing an RPG. As it's said many times all over these forums, RPGs and MMORPGS take dozens of people years to make.

dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 20:18 Edited at: 13th Sep 2006 20:26
basicly i no the basics but not the code and the help filea arnt the best of help files
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Try messing around with Matedit. It will help you to make and texture landscapes.

http://www.matedit.com/db.htm

As far as cameras and lights, what do you want to do?

Enjoy your day.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 01:17
Why are you guys getting so harsh now days?

Oh and I have an rpg tutorial if you need it in the sticky on top of the newcomers board

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 01:47
"nowadays" , its always been like this. Its just a fact, if someone can barely put the time into making an error-free sentence, how can they be expected to make a full blown rpg?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 03:22
Maybe they are 13 like me, maybe they just don't have good grammer, or maybe like a friend of mine they have dislexia. I don't recall anyone coming here to ask for a grammer check. Can you read it? Can you understand the message? I would only say something if it was totally unreadable...

And that messaeg was perfectly understandable. I didn't have to go back and read.

Now, tell me, why couldn't everyone have posted like Batvink? I'ts these kind of things that create problems.

@Scraggle, obviously enough, its a sentence without punctuation.

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 08:28 Edited at: 14th Sep 2006 08:53
I don't think Scraggle meant any harm. I was amused. Xenocythe...that was very well said, and I am 44 with 4 children of my own. [Tips hat.]

Eeoyore...don't despair! You are simply anxious to get started, that's all. Start with something that already works. Learn how it works. Then try to change it to suit your needs. There are tutorials that are pretty straightforward. Try using the fps tutorial, for example. It starts very simply, and you might be able to get something going with that. In any event, you should not feel intimidated at all asking questions here, regardless of what others say...unless it it a Mod, or TGC.

EDIT : @dark donkey You can e-mail me with specifics, and I can try to send you a file to start you off in the right direction. Your choice.

Happy coding!
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 15:00
hey the sentence had punctuation, unless if commas are no longer counted as punctuation.

@xenocythe: wow. your age gives me hope for future game making now.

____ ____ ____ ___ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ ____
|___ |--< |--| /__ Y | \| | | \| ___| |--|
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 18:44 Edited at: 14th Sep 2006 19:29
xenocythe you are a good guseser i have disslexia but not 13 but very clsoe beacouse im just a bit younger, and us that rpg tutorial for dbp it just says db
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 18:52
Btw, Xeno and dark donkey, I'd advise you both to edit your posts and get rid of your ages because its against the AUP of the forum

dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
and do i need o buy nuclear glory for collision o yea and when i used blitz3d hightmap collision was all ready done for you is it like that in dbp
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 03:21
There is collision detection in DBPro already, just some people do not care for it. It works okay for me, however. There are alot of dlls. You do not need any of it to start, and what you need will of course become all too clear as your project grows.

I assume that you have already thought about the structure of your program. To me, RPGs are variations of Computer Aided Dungeons and Dragons, so you need an inventory system, and D20 type system of attributes, and such. You can create your types and get them working without any assets at all.
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I assume that you have already thought about the structure of your program."

lol had it for a long time info on it here www.freewebs.com/the_ghoyra/
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 12:55 Edited at: 16th Sep 2006 13:12
Well, I apologize for it...I am new, and haven't chased every thread down; I'll have a look. @Xenocythe...same to you, give me a day to check your stuff out. Anyway, like the "don't despair" comment, I was trying to be facetious[silly], not cheeky.

Okay, then...I have a nice enough template that I generated to load a bsp map, and MD2 and X models. I have done the MD2 animation control, and also played with mp3 playlists, player sounds and also the dvd player. Those are more of the mechanics demanded by the system, and that is what I thought was the purpose of your thread...to get you a shell to start inserting your assets, and telling your story. I have not yet taken a stab at physics beyond the normal artificial gravity, and simple 2D movement, etc. Also, shaders remain to be implemented, there is of course a lot of work to be done.

EDIT: Okay, now I see...you have done alot already. I will make you a project with some source code, and also I will work with you on your project as you see fit. I like your website; you did a good job laying it out, and it works well. Your page about the levels is alot like pseudocode. You need to be able to translate that into DBPro code. Well, your experience with C++ gives you an edge, but...as you said before, it is too low-level for your needs.

I see DBPro as an excellent way to get your game in the real world. Then, if it doesn't perform to your liking, you can (relatively) easily translate that into C++.

One of my favorite ways to learn a new tool is to build something I am already familiar with using it. I have written 4 different MD2 model viewers just to familiarize myself with 4 different languages. Okay, really only three, because I just loaded it with DBPro...all too easy.

I would say that you are well along in the process already.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:40:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:40:30