Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Unnamed Rpg project i'm working on.. (dbc)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 23:38 Edited at: 7th Oct 2006 05:42
Ok, i know that people say that noobies buy dbc thinking they can make an rpg as their first game... well, i guess i'm one of them.

Please remember that this is my first game (not counting the stuff i made when i was really really new, like make object cube,10 and that stuff. i have been wanting to post a thread like this for a few days but i am a little afraid , i'm scared that if people hate it they say stuff like "go back u nub! lock this thread"

= finished
= W.I.P
= Planning to do

Collision
Movement
Teleports (for example to another town or to the underworld)
Ai
Menu

List of items object i've finished
2 towns
1 graveyard
1 enemy
1 sword
1 bad looking pesant guy inside the town

The world (houses, towns etc.)
Hell (The underworld area)
Combat system
save/load

Snowy/rain
More weapons, im thinking of like 5 - 7 swords..
More Enemy models, like some monsters and stuff

i know this isnt much, but this is all going the right way i think

I started by making some little graveyard in cshop and i didnt have any idea then what kind of game i was going to make. But then i plaid oblivion and it got stuck on my mind to make an fpsrpg i know i know... stupid... but i started coding it, and it got further and further. well here's what i've got so far.

I'm goin to show a little more of this graveyard since this is basicly all the world i've made.

heres a little ghost enemy i modeled i'm trying to get the ai to work, biiig biiig thanks to Xenocythe for coding all of the ghost ai code, right now i'm tryin to insert this ai code into my game

tired of those graveyard photos? dont worry.. i have something other to show...

here's some little town i just started. it's kinda stupid right now, but i hope it'll get better...

here's a view into the town and some ugly litle house i made..

aaannnddd, here's that graveyard again! but wait? there is something different on this picture. ok. this was just added a minute ago, just playing around like if i wanted to change the game at any time, like when the game is half finished, winter comes and stuff like that... i also want to try to make snowy i have a little idea on how to do that but i dont think it will look good.. oh well

i hope this is ok for work in progress.. if it isnt the moderators can lock it i would release a little demo, buut i think i want to change some things before, like ai, and the collision (not really happy about it right now.) i might release a little demo in a few days, but dont expect much :/ plz dont flame me

Update 9/13/2006:

I thought to myself today, "a town is no fun without some people in it" so i modeled some ass-crappy pesant or something and here is a screen of him:

Update 9/15/2006:

here's some more stuff i'm doing with the town...

And theeree's that ass ugly guy i modeled, i really think i should make a better face for him...

i'm going to model a horse to put outside of the town and slam another house into the town.. then i'll go work on something else there

Update 9/26/2006

It has been a while since i did any work on this game, i was just playing around making a little trailer today and found out i dont have much to show, so i started making the "underworld" area, it will be like uw and fow in guildwars, only more red and not as good..

Later that day:

ok, so i thought, "how would i be able to tavel to the underworlds?" so i made this teleporter thingy...

Here! the underworld is here... well, just this stupid wall, but the teleporter works and thats what i'm most proud of right now

i also made a trailer showing some off the stuff but it is IMPOSIBLE to upload it anywhere without having the speed at 4kb/s.. so i just posted these pictures..

Update 10/3/2006

i have got ai to work using xyno's code.. thank you

Update 10/7/2006

man oh man am i lazy. lol.

anyway's here is a screen from my newest town, i spent a little more time mapping that... but the textures seem to mess up in dbc, dont know why

here is another screen, just a render from cshop, pretty much the same angle, but it's clearer..

praise furry jesus
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 23:58
Hey man, that's pretty cool for your first game

Looks like you're using two methods for trees...? the scriggly one looks 3d, but the evergreen tree looks like a plain pointed at the camera.

The fence thing looks thick, it kinda cartoonish - but then again, maybe that's what you were aiming for

Nice.

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey thanks very much..

Quote: "Looks like you're using two methods for trees...? the scriggly one looks 3d, but the evergreen tree looks like a plain pointed at the camera."

i was kinda aiming to the direction of the game Arena, And daggerfall, that's why the trees are 2d (just plains) , and i would have wanted to make the enemies 2d and all the characters and that stuff, but since i cant draw i had to make it in 3d.

Quote: "The fence thing looks thick"

hehe, it's a fantacy game in a fantacy world and everything there is posible.. even thick fences

Tíhí..
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 00:43
YOUR AMAZING!!!

My first game sucked, LOL!

I was gonna ask if you saw my rpg tutorial or needed it, but nvm your way ahead of the game. Keep it up.

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 00:51 Edited at: 13th Sep 2006 00:59
Thank you i didnt know about your rpg tutorial when i started, it was just a few days ago when i saw it, and i read some parts of it and i discovered that some of the techniques you explain there i had already done myself with no outside help
thanks for the comment you're awesome! And Xenocythe, your game God of time is damn good looking I really like the design on the houses, is that original or do you use something for reference? either way it's awesome!

Tíhí..
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 01:02
It looks real nice dude.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 01:04
Hey man this is REALLY GOOD for a first real project. RPG's are tough, though, but stick it out!

Will there be dungeons? I've been waiting for someone to make an Ultima Underworld type game for a long time.

Keep it up!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 01:11 Edited at: 13th Sep 2006 01:11
Quote: "It looks real nice dude."

thank you i just wished i had more to show...

Quote: "Will there be dungeons?"

Yes, at least 2 i think.. but i dont want to put the game into that loop that it's only dungeons like diablo, i want to make a game where you are free to just walk around and explore stuff, that's what i think is the best part of the elder scrolls games. thanks for the comment

Tíhí..
eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Lookin good! I like the look of it.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 01:27
actually quite good . Before I saw the shots and I was reading your post, I thought, "Here we go again", but it's actually good. Nice job, and good luck .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Justin W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 01:29
That looks great so far Lucifer, very impressive for a first game.

You mentioned Arena and Daggerfall (which is funny since thats the first thing I thought of after seeing your screenies) so im wondering if your planning on making this a free roam rpg or more of a linier story driven one? Im a big fan of the Elder Scrolls series so a free roam rpg would be very cool for me

The differant seasons idea is interesting, I havent seen many games which have implanted something like this.

This is defenetly worthy of a WIP post, im looking forward to seeing more
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 01:29 Edited at: 13th Sep 2006 01:38
Quote: "I thought, "Here we go again","

hehe, i know that feeling thanks...

Quote: " making this a free roam rpg or more of a linier story driven one"

that's exactly what i want to do, an rpg you can be free and not commited to finish some storyline, of course there will be mini quests and that stuff, but i dont think i will have any story that the player has to follow.. thanks for commenting ..

Quote: "The differant seasons idea is interesting"

yes well after seeing this boooring dark color so many times while testing i just thought "man, i really need to do something about this" so i made this blueish snow theme...

Tíhí..
Justin W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 01:34
Quote: "I thought, "Here we go again", "

lol I was thinking the same thing before I scrolled down a little.
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 01:55 Edited at: 13th Sep 2006 03:09
Here's a pianoscore i made a long long time ago, i think it will be good in the menu... I'll post updates and stuff on this thread like pictures of models/houses and that stuff...

Tíhí..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 07:22
Wow, and I thought I had a good first game! Amazing!! Does the HUD work yet? I asume it does, but I thought I should ask.

I'm really impressed that your graphics are so good as well for a first game.

also, if you get stuck get help from here. It would suck to not finish and not be able to say you had the best first game ever.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 09:34
my first game in dbc was a rpg too but mine turned out more like a 3rd person adventure game with poor gameplay and lots of slowdowns.

your's look truley amazing for a first game. did you program in any language before dbc?

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 15:59
Hope this is not going on same way like my first project..

FFXI <3
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Does the HUD work yet?"

yes it does, i just used healt#=1 and then printed it on that plain wich is basicly just all i did with this... then i wanted to make the characted lvl up i could just inc level#,1 or someting

Quote: "did you program in any language before dbc?"

i used visual basic for a looong time, but i got tired of how hard it was using directx in it so i got bored with it and stopped. then i started using fpsc and from there i got to dark basic wich is the best thing i've used

thanks..

Tíhí..
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 22:28
hm...i realy need to polish my first game before releaseing a WIP...it seems first games queslity's are becoming very high ATM.

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 01:22 Edited at: 14th Sep 2006 01:23
ok, i have to confess something, i want you all to know something before i ever release a demo or anything in that way, http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=codebase_view_code&i=d71183f50e9a2d3d7dcec986ff7dbd76 i used the collision code from that code, i hope you wont change your oppinion about my game because of that this is just my first game, and there are alot of things i havent learned, and when i was trying to make the collision i had no idea how to do collision, so i used that code. BUT i added some of my own stuff into it, i fixed the bug that makes you go through walls sometimes. i think the final version of the game wont have this code, i am hoping i'll be able to make my own collision code...

Tíhí..
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 02:51
Heh, I learned to code by copying and pasting from dbc tuts, and after a while figuring out how and why they worked. I understood about 1/5th of what I coded in my first game. It was like trying to use a match stick to light a dark room.

Using someone elses code to learn something is perfectly fine in my opinion. Borrowing code people hand out is perfectly fine as well, especialy when you get it from there.

...+=

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 03:47
Wahh! Now I feel bad that my current games aren't that good Great job on this, I'm amazed.

Maybe ditch the fog and add a sky-sphere or something?

Ummm...
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 03:57 Edited at: 14th Sep 2006 04:09
This is an excellent first project. Good job!

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 02:45
funny that you would think that this would be locked.. you have plenty of screenshots(and pretty fine looking for your first game) and it looks promising. i like how you used the Oblivion-like view for the game. keep up the good work

Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78971&b=8&p=0
*New Website Coming Soon*
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks

Tíhí..
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Im sorry to double post but i need to bump this for the lates update

Tíhí..
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 00:58
cool looking. but it says you've got 22 fps in some pics. it looks like your using geometry pretty well... whats slowing it down?

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 01:08 Edited at: 27th Sep 2006 01:18
Quote: " but it says you've got 22 fps in some pics."

i think it's just some stuff in the do loop i am using while i'm testing the game.. but it's a little strange, sometimes the fps is at 50 at all times, sometimes it's normal, sometimes not...

if anyone wants the trailer you're welcome to add me on msn and i can send it.

Tíhí..
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 01:26
Your the coolest noob I've ever met. Bravo

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
hehe that made me laugh out loud thanks!

Tíhí..
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 02:29
then you may truly say... l o l

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 20:58
Dude you gave me a great idea...realy

not that my modeling is even half as good...(OK,at weapons it is...)

Oh,nice new updates. "The Underworld"

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks accel

Tíhí..
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 01:18
Looks great!

I am sorry for spamming and posting ridiculous posts, I will not do it again.
Death Swarm
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice looking game. You can model better then me for sure.

BTW Jordan I like your sig

I know what your thinking
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 17:26
dont know how well it will work in DBC but i just released a orge/orc type monster, boned and rigged....

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88398&b=3
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "dont know how well it will work in DBC but i just released a orge/orc type monster, boned and rigged."

that model looks great! but as far as i know the animations must be in a seperate 3d file in dbc, so it wont work, wich kinda sucks because this model would be perfect for my game

Tíhí..
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 19:47
can you manipulate the bones/limbs in DBC, if so then you could build your own animation set by rotating bones/limbs....
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
i havent used dbc long enough to know something complicated like that

Tíhí..
Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 17:59
This looks excellent for a first game However you do have that DirectX-game-making-in-basic experience in your sack of learningness that everyone has yet doesn't always fill, and you probably can't get any better previous experience than that I think most noobs who haven't done much or any programming prior to DB(C/P) don't have too many great ideas about the structure of a game I remember when I got DBP I was syncing on every single line... >.> twice. /ME SLAP MEHSELF FOR ANNOYING RAMBLINGNESSISHNESS!!

Game looks great, keep it up

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 18:50 Edited at: 4th Oct 2006 18:53
Remember my first project Journey into lifestream that was stupid.. And later when project stopped i got know the models was ripped dang my friend.. and now when im looking my thread i see my bad english lol..

BTW. This looks good.. and if you want you could add me in msn.. i could help you if you got stuck.. Im like to help people and i have helped in Fighting Trought Darkness when the coder got stuck this way he got the things running again.. so if you need help at anytime you could add me -> jarivetoniemi@luukku.com there is still space for you

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 19:47 Edited at: 4th Oct 2006 23:51
Quote: " so if you need help at anytime you could add me -> jarivetoniemi@luukku.com there is still space for you"

thanks very much for offering you help really, but i dont think i'll get stuck again in this game, i was stuck.. a few days ago, with the ai, but it's all figured out now and working! so i dont think i'll get stuck again thank you very much though. but if it does happen that i get stuck, i'll try to contact you if you wont be busy

Quote: " I remember when I got DBP I was syncing on every single line..."

heh, when i first got dbc i was really confused about what to put into the do loop, i positioned the camera everywhere and i loaded models inside the loop and i did everything wrong

praise furry jesus
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 05:43 Edited at: 7th Oct 2006 05:43
i'm bumping this because of my latest updates

praise furry jesus

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:31:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:31:25