Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [ic:pci]Network Chat Room[ic:pci]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 01:08
id like to make a network chat room, for over a large network say 1000pc's for the school i work at, i used to go there so i know what they need, and this is one thing i need,bacause i need to make a demo for my I.T. class so they can do theyre coding version, then i'll have to asses them, im just stumpt on this one, there stuff for games, i need something stand alone, reply plz

PS:this isnt ment to be on the curiculem but they need some thing for a chat system too, being as the system the system they have sucks and theyre not allowed to have msn

thanx
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 03:31
Having a chat system is not compulsory in England, even in universities, I kinda like the sound of Japanese schools already.

As for your first paragraph, could you clarify a little more, I'm not entirely sure of what you're saying... That could be because it's 1 am and time for me to be tucked up in bed though

Quote: "for over a large network say 1000pc's for the school"

native Dark Basic commands only allow for 255 users...
DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 05:42 Edited at: 13th Sep 2006 06:07
My favorite aspect of programming is network/multiplayer so I would love to help you out.

Here is something I just threw together:

Run the program once enter a name and IP, then leave that running and run the program again. Use 127.0.0.1 for the IP address. using 127.0.0.1 will connect to yourself.

[EDIT]

it's true what SimSmall said about a 255 user limit. But I don't think that will matter, as I'm sure you don't intend to have all '1000's' of comps chatting at once. Any amount of computers can be using the chat program but only 255 users can connect to each other. so (for example) you could have 255 users talking to each other, and another group of 255 users talking, and another, ect.....

Available for programming position using DBPro.
Also, good at multiplayer coding, contact at:
laptop5002@hotmail.com
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 15:17
Really bad idea to do this in DBP, why have a chat program, showing very little more than text, and having it take up masses of cpu? Write it in a language that is suitable, not a game making language

Ligh
Years of Service
User Offline
you could make the client in dbp then use c++ with winsock and create the server
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 19:39
I have to agree with Kentaree. Java or a C-variant would be a much more suitable choice. If all you need is basic chatting, then I could help you write one in a few hours.

"Using Unix is the computing equivalent of listening only to music by David Cassidy" - Rob Pike
$474N$ M0Nk3Y
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 01:32
yea, i could, but i dont want just the average simple text program, i want something more complex, like a sorta msn but for over a network of pc's and laptops, like a plug and play usb device that loads the program as an auto run i can do that tho, and id like to have simple games that open in the same window, retro games eg a pong game and space invaders kids like me go crazy for stuff like this over here, (ps:i moved from england, brimingham to be exact, when i was 5 my moms english and my dads japanese so i speek verry good english not like: 'no more than 1 person should use this trampoline, more than 1 may cause breaking your head')
DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
To address the issue of DBPro taking up "masses of cpu" like Kentaree said, try this:
Type only "wait key" into editor and run the program. Press ctrl+alt+delete, cpu usage should be 100%.

Then try this:
sync off
wait key

run that and check cpu usage, the DBPro program should be using 0 cpu.

It is possible to use a usb device and just run the program off of that using DBPro.

Because you are planning on adding games to the program I would recommend using DBPro, but you might want a plugin for the Newtwork part. But, if you do decide to do it using DBPro commands, I can help you out.

Available for programming position using DBPro.
Also, good at multiplayer coding, contact at:
laptop5002@hotmail.com
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 20:39
About the 255 maximum connections; my idea would be to create 4 servers along with a 'master server'.
Then you check if the connection you're after is on your current server; else you have the main server route whatever message to the corresponding slave server, which will then eventually pass it on to the player/user/whatever it was intended to reach.
Of course, it will take about trice the time to do this, but that's not all that big a problem for a chat program anyways.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 22:52
Rudolpho, what you've just described is pretty much the workings of an irc network. I still wouldnt recommend doing it in dbp, just doesnt have the networking capabilities and generally isnt suited

Cave Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 22:59 Edited at: 19th Sep 2006 23:05
Barnski made a plugin that can support alot of players.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=73342&b=5

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 23:43
Also, don't most schools block any unsigned code? Mine does. I would have thought firewalls would give you trouble, too.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
GMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 01:06
I don't think it would be such a good idea to do this in DBPro.

All we need to do is consider the basic principal to find out why. In order for one computer to connect to another in DBPro, both computers applications will have to use the command 'create net game' or 'join net game'. Say computer A wants to connect to computer B. This is only possible (using DBPro commands) if computer B is already hosting a server. That means that all computers would have to be constantly running a server just in case someone wants to connect to them.

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
$474N$ M0Nk3Y
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2006 19:05
ok ill try n forget the idea, dont matter n e way, was a thort

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:38:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:38:54