Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBPRO and PHP connectivity

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello, I was interested in a solution between the offline of DBPro and online of PHP/MYSQL. I was looking at the multiplayer connectivity of DBPro and it seems limited to:

peer to peer
main server to peer

However if I wanted to do something browser based that has a connection with the game, is this possible?

Are there functions that could bypass PHP and directly run sql queries and get/post data in the database?

I am a noob with DBPro and I currently program in PHP/MYSQL and DBPro is very enticing.

From what i understand, one way I can do this is if I...

have a server client setup with the server program creating a flat file data base, then on the browser side have php read the flat file database..

It seems like a bit much, as well as if I tried to do any time sensitive things, it would take an immense use of system resources.

ya know... client logs on server, server creates file, php reads file, stores in database with cron....

Anybody want to help me out here?
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 16:21
Uhm, I have no idea what exactly you're attempting to do. You want DBP to connect to a website using http, or what? Explain a bit more clearly

Ligh
Years of Service
User Offline
this is a cool idea., one i've been thinking about as well. it would be possible to write a phpscript to mimic the directx routines used in db but i dont know if you can put in a full url in the SET NET CONNECTION command.

the only problem would be the the connectionless connection, http can be kinda slow when your making a lot of requests
Cam
Years of Service
User Offline
Kentaree -

What I would be interested in is Browser based connectivity with the game if I were to base the game off of a sever client model.

The only problem would be sharing of data between the two worlds- (PHP/mysql or mysql) and DBPro

An application that uses a model somewhat like this would be the MMORPG World of Warcraft, the game is handled by their application, which for us would be DBPro, and the web based stuff is done with some type of database, and asp or php. The game the client program, the account information payment screens all browser based.

The way we can exchange the information would be to use db to directly connect with php or the database itself, or if no database connections can be made, use PHP- which can output anything - to take the DB data and store it in the database.

A common example would be someone using a php browser based application to chat with someone using the DB client.

One way I figured I could do this, was to create a flat file Database using DBPro and have php use the flat file DB.
However, this method is very taxing on server resources.

If db can directly interact with PHP or even better Sql/mySQL then the problem would be solved.
Cam
Years of Service
User Offline
Kentaree-
Doesn't matter what Im attempting to do, its what I am asking.

Think of World of Warcraft for my example.

They use browser-based solutions to handle accounts
They use their game client to play the game

Now I would need the server side game client to handle storage of data. If I wanted to store data in a SQl or MYSQL database I would have to have the server either:

use php- php puts info into database
directly query the database
create a flat file DB and have PHP store info into SQLdatabase or utilize the flat file DB

The last method is possible, but very very taxing on the sever.

An example of what could be done, is a chat system that is browser based via a website, and these users could chat with the users playing a DBPro created game.
Ligh
Years of Service
User Offline
cam -

you would probably want the php script to connect directly to the server instead of the db.

the browser side of your application should be a lite version of your client app. like share the same logging in system. just written in different languages (dbpro for game client, php for web client)

and yes., it is possible. its all about how you write the server. I wouldn't recommend using dbpro as a server tho as it is limited. might be better to hack up a open source irc server and customize it for your game needs
Cam
Years of Service
User Offline
Umm... thats not the answer to what I was looking for.

you would probably want the php script to connect directly to the server instead of the db.

I Guess I didnt explain myself better.

What I am tring todo is use MySQL as the game database for DB.

Is this possible?

This is reguardless on browser side or anything, If I can use DB in conjunction with Mysql then I can use the same data with PHP.

Now the question is, if DBPRO can interact with mysql, if not directly, can can DBPRO send requests via PHP to mysql.

I looked at some source code and it seems DBPRO can open a window to your browser with data POSTing, but that does no good if it can't be a background effect.

You see, if I can get MYSQL to store info such as usernames, items, account information, chatstuff, then any php application can use this information.
Ligh
Years of Service
User Offline
its possible., but you would have to write a dll for it. there are no built in commands for databases
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 10:59
check this post out: http://www.codersturf.com/forum/index.php?topic=359.0

also, i wrote some simple code for an online dbp/php highscore: http://lukasw.com/?page=codebase&status=show&nr=19

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:39:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:39:06