Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / EAI weapons -WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 18:35 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2006 19:48
UPDATES WILL BE POSTED TO THE LAST PAGE. Thanks- EAI

Hello everybody,

Just thought I'd share some screenies of some weapons I'm working on...

These are W.I.P., so the textures (esp. on the pistols) are pretty rough. The M16 variants will have more personality added to them later on. I mostly wanted to focus on getting the gunspec files set up, etc. first.

I animated the spent casings as part of the weapon because I didn't like how they eject out via code. Too bad I can't have smoke without them.

First contact sheet is the the rifles, next will be some pistols.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Connor Higgins
User Banned
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 20:19
nice weapons

super cool timmy turner has fairy godparents and i am not a mad science teacher i am a real boy so FAIRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 20:22
Very nice weapons; I especially like the focus on the Iron Sights.

-Keith

Soroki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 20:31
OMFG those are nice! WOW! They look so real!

Downfall:Arena by A Squared Software is currently in development. Features full online or AI multiplayer maps, with 35 online maps and 15 AI maps. Demo release date will be somtime in October.
bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice, I like them. Any release date/prices?

Project FPS - 71%
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 20:44
Wow, this is some good stuff.

Gamerelease top 10 at www.freewebs.com/krillej/blog.htm

Check it out now!
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 20:45
bloody nice weapons there!

Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 20:54
beautyful !!!!

will there be hands ?

yeah...thats the ticket !
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 21:37 Edited at: 14th Sep 2006 21:42
MOD Edit those look great!

http://teammegabasic.proboards59.com
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 23:31
right which mod noob slapped me

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 00:10
dont worry about who slapped you. you broke the rules, just dont do it again, and youwont have to worry about getting slapped.

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 00:30
Sweet work, bro.
What is the poly count on those there?

Weeee
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 01:01
They look pretty good, but you said som,ehting about a pistol, and I no see no pistol.

_Ken sent me
Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 01:09 Edited at: 15th Sep 2006 01:17
Very sexy! I'd buy 'em!

Quote: "They look pretty good, but you said som,ehting about a pistol, and I no see no pistol. "

You missed the bit @ the end that tells you that the pistols are still to come.

Quote: " First contact sheet is the the rifles, next will be some pistols. "

See?

Render & Dismember. Dehumanize Society With A Digital Death Deity.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 01:27
Quote: "right which mod noob slapped me"

I did; you know using a profanity is not allowed. Period. If you have a problem with that, I can extend it. You've been here more than long enough to know better.

-Keith

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 01:37
THOSE ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait!

Visit raptorgames.net for games, movies, and other stuff
I am the only person who runs it. Sign the guest book!
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 01:40
Now that is what I call professional, well done.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the kind comments!

My goal is to make them look real and function realistically as well. I'll add more details like fine scratches and wear once I get around to hooking up my tablet again. Right now, I'm just using the mouse. One thing you cant tell from the screens is that the M16A4 fires on 3-rd bursts and three distinct gunshots can be heard... sadly, I can't make the muzzle flash draw more than once. I'd do it manually through the animation but I dn't know that I can make it render with the proper additive qualities.

I'm still on new status so I couldn't post the 2nd screenshots right away. Here it is now though.

Maps are pretty ugly at the moment because I like to spend my pixels on stuff that gets seen and I only put them in-game the last couple days. As the animations evolve, I'll know exactly what I'll need. I've been having some bad color-drop issues as well which is kind of a bummer when it comes to getting the finish looking right.

@KeithC: I like the iron's too! The idea is from Operation Flashpoint. I'm looking foreward to doing more once I get the guns kitted up how I want with optics. I may make sight overlays for the pistols too but I don't know if the zoom amount can be changed, so it looks pretty odd.

@bdgbdg: None at the moment. I need to think about distribution logistics, etc. If I sell or liscense these, I'll be sure to post a freebie or two as promotion. I plan to make a downloadable demo available reguardless.

@Mr Flowerkohl: Right now, only the pistols have hands because they don't look right without them. On rifles, I'm not sure yet... I never much cared for hands on FPS rifles, especially the supporting arm that blocks out view area. I will also experiment with modeling 3-pt slings as an off-hand alternative. We'll see though... it depends somewhat on if I can get additional textures to work. The pistols allready have texture space allocated for that art although, as you can see, they're unmapped at the moment. Either way, I think I'd make versions with and without (for FPSC continuity).

@Opposing force: Sorry you got slapped. Your tutorial was incredibly helpful (as was the untacked one Butter Fingers posted with the gunspec diagram!). Now, somebody figure out the smoothest way to do projectile weapons so I can get my M203 working LOL.

@Smitho: The unoptimized models are <4K tris. My target is <1500. I won't have a solid number until I have the animations finished and can remove un-needed verticies and get normal mapping working properly. My AI scripting is pretty bad so I haven't been able to try them out under strain. There isn't a noticable FPS drop with them on screen as-is in various test levels. I am running a fairly fast machine though (256MB card and 2G ram). Memory-footprint-wise, they are smaller than the stock commando.

Sorry for the long post. I have to try to answer questions at once/preemtively due to post status. Thanks again!

Attachments

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 02:48
WOW! These are perfect for what I need, I'm definetly buying.

Also, quck suggestion - if you are selling these, I reccomend you do it in sections - for example, Rifles, Pistols, Smgs ect and sell them all for about the same amount, totaling to $20-$30. That way you can release them part by part so you can make income while working on the next pack

My Apps:
Decal Maker
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 03:38
really, really tasty. Nice work!

Samuli
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 15:00
Wow. I can't say more.
Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Gr8 stuff!

Render & Dismember. Dehumanize Society With A Digital Death Deity.
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 18:12
Errant AI, I am glad you found my tutorials useful. Those pistols that you have posted look very good. I think it's a good idea you animated the shell casings ejecting because I agree, the FPSC ones are very poor.

freakshow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 07:10
wow those are really good! im impressed!

Project:V, where something always lies in the shadows...
Formerly Crazy Al
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 13:14
I love the pistols, they remind me of '007: Golden Eye', on the N64. I might just buy these and because save and load has been added to fpsc, its more of a chance that I will buy them.

Argadon
Years of Service
User Offline
.........OMIGOSH!!!! Those are the most beautiful weapons that I've ever seen!!!

Hello
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 17:21
the pistols look great, though im a bit iffy about the desert eagle, looks stretched...and flaky

but your weapons look very professional, as higgins said, it reminds me of 007 goldeneye, also timesplitters 2 for some reason

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 17:30
Oh god, which do I pick now, these or Jon's? I'm stuck in a bind between two great weapon packs coming out!

My Apps:
Decal Maker
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 17:50
both hehe

this has showed me that my weapons still need alot of improvement, despite the nice comments from other users, they can still be much better, so thanks for that.

Cut scenes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 17:54
Jon i think your weapons are awesome. The one thing this guy has is the shells in the pistols thas cool!
Nice Guns man!

"People are easier to search when they're dead."--Captain Barbosa
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Jon Fletcher: Not to worry. They're beyond iffy in those screens! The pistol maps in the secreenshot are purely placeholder. It takes me a good amount of time to paint all the metal surfaces how I like. I haven't created maps for the desert eagle or glock yet. I just lazily slapped on the map I made for the M9 and tweaked the levels on the DE to make it brighter so I could see the geometry better in FPSC for animation purposes. I'll post some more recent captures in a day or so once I have them UV mapped. Been working on the getting the hand looking nice and some other things. I tend to make wide circles when modeling; making incrimental passes on multiple models in lieu of completing one and moving on to the next.

@ Airslide: GET BOTH! Seriously though, I have no ETA so I can't tell you when mine would even be available.

Thanks again to all those who have commented or expressed interest. I only have a vague idea of what any weapon pack should include quantity-wise. So, please speak up if there you're looking for speciffic weapons beyond the staples, which I'm sure are available from multiple sources.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 18:27
ah i see! well, im looking forward to seeing the final deagle!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 20:44
Quote: "GET BOTH! Seriously though, I have no ETA so I can't tell you when mine would even be available."

Lol okay, but I really do think you should release it in sections, it would make it a bit more managable for me I know.

My Apps:
Decal Maker
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "ah i see! well, im looking forward to seeing the final deagle!"

Here's the near-final, basic version of teh deagle (might do versions with scopes or j-points)... Still working on FPSC shader maps and animation tuning.

Attachments

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
A few in-game captures of the magnum. The mip-mapping is driving me nuts!

Hopefully it'll bump the thread this time because my last update didn't

Attachments

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 19:47
*Orgasmic!*

Absolutely beautiful work. I'm making my own weapons, because I want my game to have it's own style, but I'm buying your pack anyway, because it's so freakin sexy!!

butters

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 20:13
How many polys are some of your weapons. They are definitely beautiful. Just wondering cause the curves are smokin on um. Could we see a wire.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 20:14
I forsee MASSIVE sales;TGC may want to offer you distribution, unless you just want to do it all yourself. Great work!

-Keith

Rebellious Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 20:15
Beautiful.....

You, my good sir/madam/it (delete where appropriate) have quite the knack for modeling!

The deagles are awesome! As awesome as Smitho's! Not like the misshapen models you see around here.

My fave deagles are the matte, blued and twotone ones.
My least fave is probably the gold one. Just looks a little cheesy.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
@Butter fingers: I dig the style you have going on in FOTF, the unified art style is really immersive IMO.

@Locrian: Attached a pic of the basic wireframe... 1476 without manual optimization for the basic deagle. Most of that is at the rear and much is faked in the texture. The max renders are with smoothing groups turned on, so they look a little curvier there than they really are. I may need to re-model some sections because the placement of some of my subdivisions aren't playing well with shaders.

@KeithC: Thanks for the vote of confidence!

@Rebellious Gamer: Sir/Robot work for me LOL. heh heh I hate the gold too but I think it's obligatory when making deagle variants. I'm still doing a lot of tuning on the finishes. Getting them to look good in FPSC is a struggle especially with shaders on.

Attachments

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 21:13 Edited at: 20th Sep 2006 21:17
christ, youve put my deagle to shame, though im still learning i guess

err, i get the impression i should go back and redesign everything, but im not perfect, hopefully i'll have the will to release it, just before yours, might have a glimmer of hope then

lol, seriously though, excellent work, do you have any texture painting tutorials to share?

edit:

just checked your myspace, i see you have alot of commercial titles for your resume, including 007, no wonder they reminded me of goldeneye

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Jon, Don't sweat it... Yeah, I've been at this for a while. I've only done work for console titles so I'm going nuts making PC art (it's amazing how HUGE 512 and 1024 maps are when you're used to working in the 64x64 to 256x256 range!) and I'm a gun freak anyways so I suppose I have extra motivation.

Your stuff is good, man. That armoured dude you made blew me away and most of your stuff is better than my early pro work. Keep it up!

As for tuts, I'll have to think about that. I'm pretty bad at teaching others. The short version is that I use tons of layers and build up the metal-look gradually using only greyscale colors (but in RGB color-space). Use basic layer filters like normal, soft light, multiply and color dodge in varying degrees of transparency. Lots of smudging and gaussian blur. It's time consuming but I like the end look.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
I want I want I need I need.

Name your price I am there.
Havok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 22:45
I have been watching this from the start and the reason I haven't posted is because I was speechless. You are pumping out some brilliant work here, Errant. You have inspired me to do more with my modeling.

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 23:08
Quote: "normal, soft light, multiply and color dodge in varying degrees of transparency"

ah yes, im getting much further into that now, seperating layers, though its just do tempting to bring up the dodge/burn and paint permanantly, though im getting there

by the way, can i ask, with all that commercial work, what made you come to FPSC?

Rebellious Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 23:27
Quote: "Getting them to look good in FPSC is a struggle especially with shaders on. "

Why, do they look pixelly? Jagged edges? Could you provide a screenie of some sort?

Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 00:04
Obviously, there are hands on the pistols, yet I dont see them on the rifles... Are you adding them later, if at all, or something?

tj990
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 01:54
Those weapons are very impressive!
Lol Jon bites the dust! lol
Good lighting textures and model!

Keep up the good work!

-TJ
[/img]
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
@Havok: Those are high compliments man, thanks. I can't tell you how good it feels to inspire other artists.

@Jon: Definately use seperate layers and when they start piling up, group them! Never burn or dodge directly to your image because once you burn to black or dodge to white, the color info in those pixels are gone forever.

Quote: "by the way, can i ask, with all that commercial work, what made you come to FPSC?"

Unemployment. The indy dev. I'd been working for closed up and I've been avoiding joining a sweatshop. I'm using FPSC to suppliment my reel... in-game type stuff is much more appealing than rendered models. Most of my real-time stuff is enviroments and I hate modeling static enviroments. As a bonus, since I'm ronin for the time being, I can make art independently without worrying about someone else claiming ownership of it.

@Rebellious: A little of all of the above. I've attached a comp with some of the issues including the mip-map problem that's driving me nuts. I'm using FPSC V1, btw. Also, I'm not sure that it's even referencing the _D2 map. They're looking OK-ish as long as you're moving around but every so often it makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

@Smitho: That's TBD. I'm out of real-estate on that rifle map. I need to see if I can get additional textures working.

Attachments

Cut scenes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 02:38 Edited at: 21st Sep 2006 02:46
WOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOW
Caps off

"People are easier to search when they're dead."--Captain Barbosa

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 18:30:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 18:30:07