Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Legend of the Crystal Sword

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 01:16
Okay, so I know I'm new, and my post probably won't hold much weight here. (at least not yet) My brother and I have been working on a RPG, named, you guessed it, Legend of the Crystal Sword. We both know that it'll take time (and lots of it) but I'm still determined. So far we have a text-based battle demo, in two languages in fact. But that's not the point. I'd like to start getting advice and suggestions on actually making this game possible. Here's the current battle demo:

Unfortunately, there seem to be a few too many bugs in the program, like the special attack automatically going to the rapid shot button. Does anyone know why? (it's probably something simple that I just missed...)

In the stuff we've already done, yes we've done some of our homework, is:

Base storyline
Items
Basic look worked out with rpg maker

Advice anyone?

F: Style or not, he's as treacherous as a snake. Me:I wish I had something to crush him with. F: He'll give you plenty to crush him with. A: By the time he does, he'll probably be invinceable.
RadiusOFT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 18:08
Welcome to the tgc community alanna

Do or do not... there is no try -yoda
cats fit best in a george forman - not yoda
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Alanna,

The mouse buttons tend to repreat very quickly when you press them. What seems to be happening is when you press the right mouse button on Special Attack, the button keeps clicking when the next screen is drawn showing Rapid Shot - and the position is the same so it clicks on that choice.

You need a way to make sure there is only one click. I've modified your button function a bit. I added pressed = 0 to the top to be sure that pressed would always start as 0. The entire menu was highlighting without this.

I also included a click limiting routine:

You should add remarks to your code so that it is easier to decifer and debug and also in the future you will know what you were doing or trying to do.

Enjoy your day.
Crit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 20:41 Edited at: 15th Sep 2006 20:44
Your special attack button is in the exact same place as your rapid shot button. Either move one of the buttons or wait until the user is no longer pressing the mouse before checking again. This code might help, although I can't test it from here

[edit] Latch beat me to it!

CHESS ENCOUNTER
Demo
WIP
Alanna
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 23:44
Thanks peoples!

F: Style or not, he's as treacherous as a snake. Me:I wish I had something to crush him with. F: He'll give you plenty to crush him with. A: By the time he does, he'll probably be invinceable.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 13:40
One other thing, Alanna. Your game code consists of what is called "canned code". It is pretty much the equivalent of stream of consciousness programming. Take what you've done, and make some UDTs representing your PC and NPCs. Give them necessary attributes in the form of variables. When it comes time to use models, give them a variable to store their object number. Here is a sample of what I mean. It is still canned, but...you see the path to file I/O in the code at least.

The ALLCAPS are constants that I defined, and there are other pieces that are missing here. I hope that you see my point.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:28:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:28:57