Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / bsp files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, i did the fps tutorial. In it you are told to load a bsp file. these seem really useful because, as it says, you can store all the collision data and the mesh for your world on it. but i was wondering, how do you make one in the first place? Anyone hae any tutorials etc. that will help me?
DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
You usually have to purchase anything that will compile .bsp files. However, the Valve Hammer editor is free and will create BSP maps, but you have to configure the editor, and make the maps in a certain way.

Available for programming position using DBPro.
Also, good at multiplayer coding, contact at:
laptop5002@hotmail.com
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 12:42
fungixl, that comes from QuakeII and Quake III. Quake III is the best, and you can make Quake III compatible maps with a lot of free, and commercial software. I bought Quake III Arena used for $10 at Electronics Boutique. It has a map compiler in it, but...I do not know about using it. There is a free program called Quark. You can get it from fileplanet. Do you know about fileplanet, and quakeplanet? You can get finished bsp maps there. Also, there are other resources related to many games. Tutorials on mapping, modelling, playing, etc.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 02:18
Or if you're lucky you may have a folder in the TOOLS folder for your DBpro that has a .X to .BSP converter... But some have found this to be an annoying tool that doesn't work so... it's your choice.

Ummm...
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 23:19 Edited at: 19th Sep 2006 05:54
I got my DBPro disk yesterday!!!!!!!! Yes, the dll is there. Nice, but...I think it is for using in-game, as there is no shell for the dll. It probably is messy. The agreement seems to prohibit in-code conversion of assets, so its legal use is a still little unclear to me, unless that type of conversion is excluded. Confusing. Quark and GtkRadiant use a compiler called q3map2.exe to convert the native format to bsp.

fungixl, as I said...I use Quark for making QIII maps and QII maps. The pk3 file format is recognized by DBPro, and all the textures, and map models can be put in the pk3, just like the big boys at id do. WinZip is an excellent pk3 file manager, as well.

EDIT: I was worng...there is a shell for the BSP compiler dll. I will try it, but...Quark is free, GtkRadiant is free, Blender is free...and they are complete bsp solutions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:34:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:34:08