Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / HelpJABBER understand limbs PLZ!-Media-less limb test posted

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 17:08
This limb issue of mine seems never ending, I thought if I wrote a quick media-less limb example code it would be easier for the pros to run the project to see this wierd result,here----

since all of the limbs are in object 1 it kept a copy of objects 2 and 3 at position 0,0,0 even after I positioned each object proper!
if I hide object 1 it hides all the "copied" objects. and if I set object 1 to wireframe, it still renders all the two other object copies and object 1 as normal poly mode.
Have I correctly coded the limbs this example?
at least I don't get a limb sequence error anymore!
Please anyone who might have an idea on what happen here or how I could code this better I'd be very greatful, Thanks for your time guys,

JABBER

Retired DEV team member Targetware.net
Retired DEV team memeber BF 1918 MOD
http://hosted.filefront.com/JABBER1975
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 18:09
Whan you make a mesh from an object, it makes a copy - it does not remove the original object, so of course they are still going to appear. Now, glueing objects to limbs is a valid method of building complex groups of objects, but you don't need to do it in this case.

You position the limbs in relation to the object they belong to by using the OFFSET LIMB command, not by positioning the object you take the mesh from. Making a mesh only copies the polys, not positional or rotational data.

Finally, each object already starts off with a limb 0, so you don't need to create it.

Here's your code, corrected to what I think you had in mind.

JABBER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 22:45
Thanks IanM! That makes sense now and explains why my bones export out of MAX acted that way, always saying every object had 1 limb numbered 0 in DBP. I must not have been exporting out of MAX correctly. Thanks again, HUGE help.

JABBER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 02:32 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 02:32
It didn't take long to apply the lesson learned here IanM.

SUCESS!!!!!!FINALLY!!!!!

the deck gun base rotates perfectly around the Y axis and the gun barrel on the X axis. Thank you so much I've been banging my head on the wall for days over this.
Now to set up the dual propellers and rudders OH and that 20mm flak cannon on the rear deck LOL

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 05:01
ahoy matey limb on the portside bow range 0500 m

Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 19:40
Nice submarine! Very impressive screen shot.

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
JABBER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 20:54 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 20:56
Quote: "ahoy matey limb on the portside bow range 0500 m"

more like AHOY!
limb offset 1,4,0,0.376548,2.28954
limb offset 1,5,0,3.325623,3.34525
limb offset 1,6,0,3.325623,-3.34525
limb offset 1,7,0,7.245645,0.0456
AH what's this? a mutiny!

@ PITA- You're too kind, much, MUCH more detail to come, like 10,000 polys worth, But that's the thing about a sub combat sim, unless you're surfaced then all you can see is the interior compartments of the U-boat, and when looking out the periscope I'm planning on just hiding all the internal rendering, I've yet to try this though, The media creation seems togo on and on not to mention the research.

If anyone is interested in this project keep you're eyes open for it in the WIP forum. Not sure on a name yet, maybe "War for the Atlantic" or "Wolf Pack Warfare" I thought of "Silent But Deadly" then Laughed like a 12 year old<-----*JABBER laughs again*
Hopefully soon.... that is if I can keep focused

WAIT what's the topic of this post? oh ya limbs sorry,

JABBER
aka "the JABBERWOCKY"
for those Terry Giliam fans out there

Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 21:40
Jabber, as far as media creation goes, have you looked at SketchUp? Ridiculously easy to use.

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
JABBER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 22:25
That looks really cool Pita, I'll have to give the free version a try. Though with the money I've invested in MAX8 and PS9 it just would be wrong to use anything else for modeling.
Thanks for the tip though

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 22:40
Happy to have helped

I'm a little suprised that you are positioning your limbs in code though - can't you do that in max?

If you can get max to create limbs and give them names then you can use the PERFORM CHECKLIST FOR OBJECT LIMBS or use the LIMB NAME$ function to identify by name which limbs you are interested in rotating, and not have to hard-code the limb numbers, or have to make sure your limbs are correctly numbered in max.

JABBER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 00:22 Edited at: 18th Sep 2006 00:26
IanM, I tried using MAX bones but I must have not exported to .X correctly the perform checklist returned 1 bone per object with the number of 0, Armed with the information you gave me about each object has a defaut bone 0 I'm guessing the bones were not exported with the mesh. It would be nice to work that out though. it must make bone placement much easier

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:27:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:27:23