Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Problems With Programming My New Game Civil Lockdown©

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 04:19 Edited at: 18th Sep 2006 04:40
Hello all, I've been working on the main menu aspect of my game, and have been having problems changing volumes of sounds. In my options, audio menu, I have a simple button system...
Sound Volume 10
Sound Volume 5
Sound Volume 0
Here is a Code Snippet with the troublesome code.

Thanks In Advance For Taking The Time To Attempt To Help Me Out With This Little Problem, Jim

EDIT: I just realized it's out of 100%... but why is 50% not audible and 90% sounds like 50%?

What can games do for you?
www.getixinteractive.com
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
from the looks of your code, you have the volumes set at 10% 5% and 0% - These are relatively low volumes. I'm gonna guess that you are using reverse logic in that 10 means minus 10% of full volume which would be 90%. You may not have even thought that but based on the code, your post, and the low volumes, that's what it looks like to me.

This is not how set sound volume works. If you want the sound to play at 90% you would use set volume <sound number>,90 .

50% set sound volume <sound number>,50

I ran a few tests and noticed a marked difference in volume between 90 and 50. I hope this helps.

Enjoy your day.
Getix Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 22:41 Edited at: 18th Sep 2006 23:04
Thank you latch. Latch, I thought it was based out of 10 being highest. I didn't see the help file saying that it's out of 100%, thanks though!

www.getixinteractive.com
Getix Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 23:01
Hello All. I'm stumped on how to create water, with refelctions and all. I'm thinking just a matrix that modulates like waves? If anyone has played Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, where they showcase High Dynamic Range, I am hoping to pull something like that off.
Any help on this subject would be most appreciated.
-Jim

www.getixinteractive.com
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 00:25
Assuming you are a new to programming, hence posting in the newcomers board, I think that creating 'half-life 2" quality graphics are something far away from most people here (actually, most of the graphics are pictures so maybe not entirely). However, shaders can be used to pull off the water effects and such. Not an expert myself, but try using the search bar and looking for "water" or water effects".

Bio Fox...four guys, one computer, games like nobody's business. Join our forum: http://biofox.aceboard.com
Getix Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 01:36
I post in the newcomers because I know no where else to post questions. And most of the things I asked are newbie-ish. High Dynamic Range would be quite a feat in DarkBASIC Professional. I have already done a search for both, and found a few, but none of them actually compiled in DBPro.... I was hoping to do this with limited to no expansion packs/extra dlls. I think it would be a waste of "my" time to render the scene 3 times, each one adding another layer of the water, as Valve did in HL2.
If anyone has any ideas for some simple, yet good looking water, please post it here. Thanks in advance, Jim

www.getixinteractive.com
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 15:52
Dr Manette,Getix is no newcomer.he helped me and still helps me sometimes.but read his post for his explanation.

Getix Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 06:36
Ok, I still need some help with the water, but I also need a .3Ds to .x converter. I downloaded WinConv3ds, did everything that I'm supposed to for it to convert, and... it never made the .x file?!?!?! Any help would be great.

www.getixinteractive.com
Getix Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 13:50 Edited at: 20th Sep 2006 13:54
I've also downloaded another one, someone on this forum made one on DBC, and it worked! But, the textures are missing completely...
The missing textures is what I always had problems with. I'm using SketchUp Pro. Exported a house with a pool, imported to DBPro, and, the textures were there! One of them anyway. The water texture for the pool was over the entire object, PLEASE help, anyone.

www.getixinteractive.com
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 14:18
I'd advise you to use evolved's water shader, do a search for it on the forum

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
This has worked for me - download Deled. Import your 3ds file into there, then export your file as an X file. If you have to re-add your tectures in Deled, it is very easy - and it exports the x file very well - no animation though.

If you want a challenge, you may try Blender. There several import and export options including an exporter I wrote specifically for DarkBASIC. Blender to DBC

Enjoy your day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:36:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:36:00