Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How to begin ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I want to begin with Dark Basic Pro
but i have completed the Tut's that come with DBP
And i tried the tut's on the site(but they are just to hard!)
So my Question is are there easy tut's for Dark Basic PRO ?

(BTW are there any kids using DBC or DBP ?)
(BTW2 Sorry for my bad english...But i am dutch)

Currently stop using Game Maker...Beginning using Dark Basic Pro
Kenomica_deleted
Years of Service
User Offline
Your English is fine lol.

In my experience with the tutorials on this website, they all seem to require soom previous programming knowledge. I am currently in the process of creating a text based game.

I advice you to actually buy a book if you are a complete beginner (like me)...I'm going to buy a book on Darkbasic soon, after buying my Lostprophets tickets (lol).

StevetS
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there,

Welcome to DBPro! you'll find you can do so much more with it than with Game Maker.

You don't say whether you have any experience with programming games, and assuming you don't then you'll want to look into the basic framework for producing them (i.e the game loop and functions).

You can do a basic search on the net for lots of articles on the theory of how games are programmed - very useful and you don't need a knowledge of coding to following them.

Book-wise, you could try the 'Beginners Guide to DarkBasic Game Programming' (Harbour & Smith) which is a very good intro into the basic DB/DBP commands and game structures. You could also try 'Hands on DarkBasic Pro - Vol 1' which states 'Fundamental software design and implementation is also covered' (not used it myself).

Also, if you've not already - have a go at the PacMan tutorial by ScouseKnight. Its a fantastic download which shows you how to program a version of PacMan and assumes you are a total beginner. It comes with a PDF 'Manual / tutorial' explaining how everything hangs together.

Hope this helps,

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 23:32
Did you try my rpg tutorial? Even if your not making an RPG, its a great starter tutorial, and I thought it was easy enough...

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 23:34
There are kids using DBPro. Some 8-10 year olds can make something decent in DBPro, even without help from this site.

Ummm...
whipped6
Years of Service
User Offline
im a beginner and im 14 but i know some coding id recommed to google darkbasic tutorials thats how i found mine...

game creator
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 06:56
Your not suppose to post your age on here but anyway I'm even younger than that and I can program pretty good at least I think I can program good. I have a rpg wip and its coming along good too.

Naruto is the ninja...not really

Jake Ruston
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, and welcome to Dark Basic!

I'm rather new as well. I reccommend the RPG tutorial, as it helps alot.
fungixl
Years of Service
User Offline
think of something u wanna make, (like an fps, rts w/e) and experiment. thats what i did and now i have somewhat of an idea what im doing (i still ask questions tho)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:38:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:38:11