Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Using .3DS models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First off, it takes at least 3 minutes to load a 144kb model. Second, I can't get it to display on the screen. Why does DBPro only load 4kb of the model every second? I mean come on, I have 512mb of RAM and 256mb of VRAM. Something is seriously wrong here..
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 13:14
Dont use .3ds models... .3ds and Dbpro hates each others.. I recommended you to use .x or .dbo models use google to find .x exporter

One good exporter is panda exporter what you can find for google not sure it is working with all modelling softwares..

Game Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
or you can use Marzipan...
It was designed for game maker
i used it for game maker
but it can export to .x file
(i really don't know if it can open .3DS models...)

Currently stop using Game Maker...Beginning using Dark Basic Pro
DarkAuron
Years of Service
User Offline
Well that's rather stupid. DBPro lists .3DS as a supported format but that's really buggy and basically worthless to use; why did they include that as a loadable model format if no one can use it?

I think panda exporter is a plugin for 3dsmax, and I don't have 3dsmax. My friend is doing the models for me. I can export to .X with Milkshape 3D but the animation isn't transferred over.
peanuttheory
Years of Service
User Offline
could you give us a link on the whole .x exporter thing because I am having a hard time finding it on google. I have been using a lot of 3DS lately and it seems that your aproach might be better.

Life is simply an infinetly changing variable.
kwan_kung
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hs=PRF&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&q=panda+x+exporter&btnG=Search&meta=

top link, its in the download section.
StevetS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 21:40 Edited at: 26th Sep 2006 21:43
Hi there,

I still use .3ds models in anim8or for certain things though i generally export to Milkshape and convert to wavefront for use in UVMapper Pro.

You can use DBPro to convert your model to DBO:

This will convert your 3ds level to a dbo level and stick a copy in the specified directory. Takes a while to convert due to it loading up the 3ds version.

You should find that dbo versions load more than 10 times faster than their 3ds equivalent.

Also, depending on which modeller you use, check whether you can export to other formats. I generally use either anim8or (free and very good) or Milkshape (very inexpensive to buy).

Check out the modelling forum - has loads of links and useful tips for this sort of thing.

Good luck.

Soroki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 22:04
I have a POS computer(if you don't know what POS means, I'll tell you when you're older) and .3ds models run fine for me in any game. I only have 256 RAM and an 8MB graphics card. I don't see the problem.

Downfall:Arena by Terra Design Studios(TDS) is currently in development. Features full online or AI multiplayer maps, with 35 online maps and 15 AI maps. Demo release date will be somtime in October.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 23:11
Quote: "DBPro lists .3DS as a supported format but that's really buggy and basically worthless to use; why did they include that as a loadable model format if no one can use it?
"

It works well in older versions of DBP I think.
At least I never had any problems loading 3D studio files into DB Classic.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:36:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:36:28