Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Airplane Challenge: Reality Forgotten vs Locrian

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 22:08 Edited at: 25th Sep 2006 04:44
After taking of a white glove to the face by that rapscallion RF, the gloves have come off and the challenge ensues.

Challenge: Modeling of a Boeing 747

Methods: RF must use box modeling for the fuselage and Loc cylindrical modeling.

Tri/Poly limit:2000( RF I say this because I think we should make these game ready and to size and give them both away at the end of our little contest. These would make a nice object to see out a window say for an airport level. Could be more if you want but with 4 engines I wouldn't think any less. Also don't want to many cause we want people to be able to use this in a game if they want)

Time Limit: 1 week and one day(the day is so we can finalize our rules in case there's something you wanna change).

Texture: Texture must be included. Can be hand made or images of planes used.

In Game: Object must made in game ready for final judging and screen shots to be shown.

Judges: Mods if we could get any one of you guys, or all of ya, to do our judging we'd appreciate it. This is all in fun. Were looking for the best looking in game model with a preset cap on polys. His from box, mine from cylinders/and or capsules.

Prize: Looser makes one piece of custom media(of non animated type) that is game ready for the winner and of his choosing. This item has 2 weeks after the item is named, to be made and turned over to the winner.( we could make that time longer...just figured we needed it all spelled out)

So there we have it. The challenge made and accepted. You, my dear man, have insulted my honor for the final time with that glove bit. Now we only have to hear your accepting or changes of the aforementioned rules for this to commence.
Connor Higgins
User Banned
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 22:09
ill judge it might be fun

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 22:13
I will judge also, if neccessary

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 22:16
I'll Judge.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 22:22 Edited at: 24th Sep 2006 22:23
and i shall obstruct!

heh, just kidding, good luck personally i think cylinders are the way to go

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 22:23
Great Keith.

Well theres one judge to rule in my favor...I spit on your box modeling technique... *pittuiyyy*

And you other guys, I'd really like mods to do this. But this isn't saying RF and myself may not choose fellow members if we don't get more then the one judge. Thanks for even posting. This should be kinda fun and win loose or draw, you guys all get 2 free models out of this.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Best of luck.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Best of luck to both of you!

747s are pretty flat across the bottom, so I could see this going either way.

Would you guys be willing to post progress shots at the end of the contest? I wouldn't mind seeing that.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 23:31
Sure...I could take some ss along the way of whats done...Good idea Errant
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 23:46
I'll judge.
It's nice to see some "friendly" competition...
You're both good...I can't wait to see this.

SUICID3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 23:55
Cool a competition i like it.
Has reality forgotten even visited this thread yet.

Your signature has been erased by a god.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 23:55 Edited at: 24th Sep 2006 23:58
Great....another Judge. Now if we can just get the gentleman, ever so loose with the gauntlet of dishonor to chime in, we can begin to end this frivolous injustice bestowed upon my beloved primary shapes.

@SUICID3
I don't think so. Our last contact on this was in this thread.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=89663&b=24

Im sure soon as he can he'll reply...just getting it all set up with Judges and such till hes on the forums and this actually begins.
Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 00:04 Edited at: 25th Sep 2006 00:05
Good luck both of u!

O ye it says he's away on msn, so probs hes away!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 00:26
haha! My money's on loc.

(that sounded gangsta)

I'll judge. I've never judged anything before... Except ugly people... I always judge ugly people...

No I'm only kidding.

I'd like to judge, it'd be interesting.

Would you maybe release the project files at the end, it'd be kind of cool to breakt the model up once its done, and then you could have a plane crash.. I've wanted to have a crashedplane in a city level for ages! (I just haven't been bothered to model one).

Butters

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 01:03
Butter finger,
Sure I'll release all the files. Got a folder together for it already...just waiting on word from RF to start.Thats not a problem.

To do with your judging, Im sure you'd be inpartial but with expressing an intrest in working with s4 and myself and your "My moneys" comment I want to be as fair as I can to RF and so theres no question I smoked him.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 01:38
Just to let you both know; if the 747 looks suspiciously like an AC-130 Gunship, it wouldn't hurt my feelings

-Keith

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 04:36
Keith I'll tell ya what. I had to look up the model you named cause I had no clue. This contest, a 747 was kinda named cause I gave this one member a link to some blue prints. Though I won't do a whole new model for the ac130 I will give you a version with the wings tword the top and slap some propellers on the jets for ya. I'm sure I could quickly modify it to be close. Probly not what you guys want though since you guys are all like"That model truck was never used by the 20th divison" " Oh yeah well I was in the 8th and seen some in blah blah...I thought that was navy(joking about branch)"

Theres some real big differences in the 2 planes and probably not accurate enough for you service guys. Ive chossen made up gun models for my game like the "Cleric t30" from that movie, just so when you guys look at my game I don't hear no guff about where my shell comes out, how far the slide comes back, or what side the safetys on. >.<
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 07:37
Nah, I'm just foolin' with ya. If you've looked it up, then you know what kind of firepower it can deliver...with laser precision. I'm not real worried about people's models being accurate (just look at my WWII Model Pack).

-Keith

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 11:54 Edited at: 25th Sep 2006 12:18
This should be fun, I was tinkering with thte 747 last night and it may be a challenging project for cube based modeling.

I want everyone to know that there is no beef between Locrian and myself.

Quote: "So there we have it. The challenge made and accepted. You, my dear man, have insulted my honor for the final time with that glove bit. Now we only have to hear your accepting or changes of the aforementioned rules for this to commence."

nice! Well let us pretend we are 17 century english gentlemen shall we?

RF
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 17:08
Well I take it all sounds good to ya RF....if all dose then I guess good luck....and this thing is on baby...yeah it's on.

RF, I think everyone knows theres no beef...

And yeah on the box modeling being challenging. Even though mentioned above the bellys kinda flat....making the rest rounded sounds daunting using box modeling....Good luck. Actually I was tinkering myself and it went so fast all is done but the landing gear.

Perhaps I need to get some media in mind....
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 17:29
I can't wait to see the results of this!

Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 18:16
Quote: "Well let us pretend we are 17 century english gentlemen shall we?"

17th Century: I don't think one has even refrained from doing so. One may be rather amused at the final products due to the abstractenthintisity (If you say it right, it sounds funny )

21st Century: Might be cool to see how this goes

Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 18:20 Edited at: 27th Sep 2006 20:55
Quote: "Well let us pretend we are 17 century english gentlemen shall we?"

woo!

@smitho
its abstractness not
Quote: "abstractenthintisity "

The Day will come when humanity ends.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 18:46
RF,
I wonder if you remember the stories of the great Baby Ruth where in the game 3 of the 1932 World Series he points at the center field bleechers and in an apparent declaration, he would hit a home run to this direction. On the next pitch, Ruth hit a home run to the spot he had supposedly pointed towards, and a few reporters later wrote that Ruth had "called his shot"

Well this is kinda like that...The extra 6 polys/tris are for the 3 reference planes that are still in the scene.

Hmmm..so what are you best at making media wise bro?
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 19:52 Edited at: 25th Sep 2006 19:52
Nive work man, I can almost garuntee mine wont be that fluid but I will give it hell trying.

Actually I have found knack with textures. Though I am still leraning to texture objects, I can create some really nice texters for object painting.

RF
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 19:23
Well RF,
Just kinda posting to see your progress. I don't know how far you are, but I found getting all this on one map quite a challenge. S4 and I were talking last night and I'm wondering if a segment couldn't be made for the inside of these. Wouldn't that be cool? Not that I'm at that point but I think I want to see if I can make up a mock terminal with the galleyway or whatever it's called going inside the plane. So you'd be able to see the plane from the terminal though big windows then enter the plane kinda...may be a decent illusion. Anyways, since this is all in fun and I'm not really concerned with not showing what I'm up to. The real winners here are going to be the members more then ourselves.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 19:29
True, I've been so busy at work I have barely started. I have the day off tommorrow so I should be able to finish this. AS far as the texturing goes, It might not look so good but i'll give a go.

Great work by the way!

RF

Locrian I sent you an email mate.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 20:12
I got no email RF. Attempt to send again I guess. I dont have you filtered either.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 20:23 Edited at: 26th Sep 2006 20:26
ok, it's sent again. look for the .mil ending to the address.

RF
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 09:22 Edited at: 27th Sep 2006 09:24
@ RF
I'm sure by now you probably know I've emailed you back.

@Butter Fingers
You said you wanted a wrecked version so I'll include 2 textures with this when finished....clean and distressed.

*Slogan*
Fly TGC Air....When your feeling adventurous....
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 11:45 Edited at: 27th Sep 2006 11:45
i am going to have to concede to you man, I haven't the time to finish what I have started. So what is the model that you want? I will still work at the plane and get it posted. But it is not going to meet the dealine.

RF
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 19:11
RF man,
You've still got 5 days man....Heck, Im not finished either as you see. We'll let this play out and if you can make the deadline ya can. I hate to end this before it's time but thats totally up to you.

I say giver 'er heck till the last breath man...But I understand otherwise as well.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 03:39 Edited at: 28th Sep 2006 03:41
Well Im kinda done now. But looking at this Im wondering if I shouldn't make a version with an oversized door sized hole in the side. 2 segments fits easily in side and 3 segments like a quarter hang out each side like ya see. I think one of those scissor things made as an entity, then a segment made to look like the terminal between the airport and the plane would be neat.

I know the wing looks long but thats just FPSC's odd distorted view. It's over 3 stories tall as you see and the 3rd story segments you see are 10 long to give you an idea of it's size. This shots just taken cause I wanted to walk on the wing and see if I got stuck which I didn't.
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 04:07
awesome!

I chink i know you but i could be wong
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 06:41
oooh. i could use this in a level I'm making

_Ken sent me
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Very cool! Any room in there for first class?

Needs snakes.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 06:59 Edited at: 28th Sep 2006 07:06
Well Ill be releasing this plane at the end of this week. I've made a version for myself with the hole in it I talked about, so I can make a segment for inside it....See the wings go into the body quite a bit, so if I make a segment to look like the inside of an airplane, when ya look out the windows youd be at the level to see the wings and stuff and your seeing though the inside of the planes mesh. Should work quite well I think.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 13:01
I'll have a go at doing a segment for you Loc. why not just make a floor segment, model the rest of the interior in Max.

So find out the exact number of pixels of the interior, then you can slightly curve-in the tops of the walls geometry so that it fits better inside the plane!

butters

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 17:58
Im sure this could be done a couple different ways and come out looking fine. The only thing I think I have to make sure of it that the section where you enter the plane is an actual segment so the csg of the door hatch works properly. It is all kind of an after though and didn't really plan for this to be enterable when RF and myself started talking about how to best model an airplane.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 18:02
I still haven't givem up. Though I think this style of plane is better modelled using cylindrical methods. Keeping the poly's low is proving a challenge in itself.

RF
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 18:09
Yeah RF...The more I modeled on this the more rounded stuff poped up. The only part of this that isn't a cylinder or a capsule is the extrusion from the front axil to the back axil on the wheel sets with 2 sets of tires.....I feel ya on the poly count deal. When I started this I thought "No problem...2000 is easy"...The shell was only a couple hundred. But once I started adding wheels and engines and struts for the landing gear.....heh.
FPS Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2006 02:43
Woa, really nice airplane, man!

I could use somethin' like that 4 my game...

"I've got nothing to say."
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2006 11:23 Edited at: 29th Sep 2006 11:38
I think I am going to give you the victory on this one Locrian! I am for ever dubbed a loser! Nah just kidding I don't have the time at this point to devote the time needed to create a presentable model. Congrats Locrian, what model do you want me to make?

RF
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2006 14:38
Uh.....I vote for Locrian then.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2006 16:02
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2006 17:43 Edited at: 29th Sep 2006 17:45
Awwww....RF I hate to win anything like that. I tell you what. Why don't you work on making the segment for the inside. 2 segments wide should make up a half circle. A little flat on the ceiling and on the sides(so its not a complete half circle). And when you release this to me. I will then release a "loading bridge" entity and the version of this plane I've made with the hole in the side. This way the members become the real winners and get pretty much a complete package. If you need anything....help or otherwise you have my email addy.

Since the decision has been made to end this I'll get the plane together and give it away in it's own thread sometime today.

Thanks Keith and Fred for agreeing to do this. Thankyou members for comments and keeping up on it's progress....

In closing......

Death to Box Modeling....Muhahahahah(just kidding)
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 00:16
Thanks Locrian, If ya'll have noticed I haven't been on here all that much in the last few days. It may be a while before I am a regular again but I will get the segment made.

RF

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 14:35:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 14:35:30