Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / transparency

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 01:28
In Dark basic I used to make trees with clip maps on plains. All I had to do is load and image, make it a texture and apply it to the plain. The black in the image became transparent and clipped the plane like a cookie cutter. x-d

I can’t seem to know how to do that in pro... when I use the same code the plains are textured but the black stays solid. I tried a png with transparency; it loaded like a decal showing a white plain behind it. :-s

I also do not appreciate the removal of “APPEND OBJECT” because I’m yet to find one good program for building a character and animating it. It also makes darkmatter useless, because the models’ cycles are saved in multiple files.

HELP Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease

I was just learning dark basic and having an awesome time too until I switched to pro, and my programs stopped working because I happened to use a lot of the commands that were dropped from Pro... not having a solid back ground in the first one, I find it difficult to transition.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 01:34
Put an extra ',1' onto the end of your 'load image' commands. Without this, DBPro antialiases your images for you.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 02:14
Can you not SET OBJECT and set the transparency flag to 1? Just thinking,,,,or is that what your saying doesnt work....I'm confused!!! Hope ya get it working If all else fails, do what Ian says, Im no pro pro so I cant help ya there Im a classic man

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 07:58
Thank you both, I used both your advice.
I turned the transparency on the set object to 1 and that did it, but I'm also playing around with the extra ,1 in the load image to see which effect I like better.

What threw me off was the online help in pro that said "When the transparency flag is set to 0, all parts of the object colored black are not drawn to the screen."

The edges on the tree are still strange looking but I'll play around with the image itself to see if I could fix it there.

Still, all these tweaks for something that worked in DB Classic.

Thanks again guys,
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 21:59
Curious. You ended up with outlines? Oh yeah! I changed my back color to black! that gets rid of em. Doesn't look like you can do that though. Might I sudgest a skybox?

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:52:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:52:32