Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Calibrated Flak Reticle: Hot or Not?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Heyas,

This is another W.I.P. that goes along with the weapon systems I am creating. I wasn't sure which forum this belongs in, so I put it here. Mods feel free to move it if you think it's more appropriate in FPSC chat or something... It's as much about game design as it is about art.

It's a precision x-hair and scope set for a custom flak 40mm projectile. I don't know much about IRL usage of the M203, so I made its trajectory so that it is effective out to 18 segments. It has a high trajectory and drops like a rock.

For testing purposes, I decreased the damage/radus to 20 and enemy hitpoints to 15 so that I could easily score hits and misses. Still, it took me a full day to tune and create the overlays. I placed enemies in one 1x1 segment "pillboxes" with small windows in them. Any round not going through the window or hitting the bottom of the window frame would result in a non-kill. I really wanted a thread-the-needle kind of feel.

The result was a range-finding reticle capable of pinpoint accuracy on a stationary target from three to eighteen segments away. I have yet to test it on moving targets and am considering adding lead marks but I don't know about that yet.

In further versions, I think I will completely seperate out the rangefinding element so that it only displays when zoomed in (rangefinding mode).

Please C&C

-EAI

(Please, forgive the low resolution and overlays...just trying to protect my time investment for the time being. Highlighted areas were done in Photoshop and are not a part of the x-hair or scope overlay.)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 02:58
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 03:23 Edited at: 27th Sep 2006 03:26
This definatly looks like an impressive piece of work.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 03:28
that's cool. Did you tweak the reticle to the flak, or the flak to the reticle.

butters

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 03:34 Edited at: 27th Sep 2006 03:38
Tweaked the reticle to the flak. Might have been easier the other way around. I Tweaked the flak first to the point where it wouldn't go further by elevating it to the point where the projectile wouldn't travel further if the target was off screen. There's no artificial arc in the trajectory, so if you point it straight up it will land on or near you.

Thanks for the comments, It's actually really fun and I can see it having use in ammo conservation scenarios or where you have human shields or something where you don't want the player to just lob 'nades till they find the sweet spot.

ETA: It's low-velocity too. So, on distant targets, theres enough "hang-time" to zoom in on the target and confirm a hit.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 03:38
nice, I love it when people make weapons that have their own limitations and advantages to the gameplay.

I sent you some mail BTW. get back to me on it!!

butters

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Me too, it's one of those things that I'd have to argue with designers and producers with in traditional development and even if it got in, focus groups would probabily slam it. Gotta love the freedom of FPSC

Cool- I'll check it and get back to you.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 04:30
Hey, I have a question

I can't see from that screen if you suffer from this problem or not, but... can you ever make your scope overlay TOTALLY opaque? Mine always come out slightly transparent and it's driving me nuts!

(cheers for the mail, I sent you back some more interesting stuff)

butters

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 04:59
Thats just top notch....really nice.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank You, Locrian.

@ Butters: Nope. Allways get some translucency.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 14:28:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 14:28:08