Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / FPE file parameters? (a little urgent pls)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 23:38
Hello,

I made my first ever model for use in a game. I used Milkshape (trial) and used lithunwrap for UV mapping. I also animated the model giving him just 2 basic animations for now.

I used the free entity creator to convert into FPSC usable. Everything seems fine except for the orientations

1. The model was waist deep in the ground when I place him
2. The model was facing away from me when I place him
3. The model walks waist deep in the ground during runtime
4. The model runs at a 90 degree angle to me (like a crab!) but towards me (his left shoulder towards me and right one away)

I tried figuring out some of the orientation parameters, and finally I got him facing me and moving towards me face first during runtime. But I still havent got hold of the waist-deep problem.

I trial-and-errored all of the parameters but to no avail

Can someone help me sort out the problem pls?

Thank you very much,

-filya

p.s: The model is going to be used in my entry for the Sept Contest and so I would appreciate if someone helps me soon.

p.p.s: Yes, the model shall be free for all of you after the contest

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
addictinit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 00:26
have you tryed raseing him up higher or pressning enter befor u place, with the entity maker it says to put characters different settings and stuff look at the entity maker tutorials again and see if it helps

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 02:48
yes, I did try that. But the model just falls down to its waist deep position at spawn.

The tutorial doesnt really cover the orientation.

ty for the help.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 07:31
Well not knowing milk shape at all I'll tell you something that can cause this in 3dmax. Make sure that your charater is orientated correctly in your prog. Make sure the mesh prior to attaching the skeleton has had the equivilant of the xform reset. Make sure the meshs x,y,and z codinates in the world map all show zero(0). Once the skeleton is attached to the mesh if the mesh isnt zeroed it used the equivilant of the BIP01(main part of your skel) as the zero point. Being this is located in the hips...you get this in the ground effect and no ammount of pressing enter or screwing with the cordinates in the fpe will correct this. As even if the char stands on the ground in idle, as soon as he turns to run he'll/she'll return to the zero point of your animation. This all has to do with the way your mesh is prepared and exported and has nothing to do with fpsc.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 08:21
can you imagine what all that means to a person who has used a 3D modelling software for 2 weeks in his entire life???

but yeah...I do get the gist. I think I need to make sure my model is above the 'origin' and not like he is now (the origin close to his hips)

Bad news is - I have tried to move my entire model upwards in milkshape, but for some reason the bones seem to get stretched out and it ruins the entire animations.

Thanks a lot though Locrian!

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 09:01
Dont make changes once the animation is attached...these are items of concern prior to attaching the skin/mesh to the biped/skeleton. Think of it as prep work before attempting to rig your character.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 10:12
so I shall have to delete all the bones, move my model upwards, make new bones again, rig them to the vertices, animate the movements and then...
just 'try' if it fits properly in game?

too much work to do. I guess I wont use it for my contest then.

Locrian, thanks a lot. I shall keep this in mind now on

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 12:38
Quote: "delete all the bones, move my model upwards, make new bones again, rig them to the vertices, animate the movements and then.."

OK, now I haven't used Milkshape before so I can't say for sure, but I know it's the case in Max and Maya, that you can just unbind the mesh from the skeleton, make the necessary moves, the re bind it.

So, not as much work as you thought!!

butters

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 17:10
I have had to move animated models using Milkshape before.
You have to move the model and then move the skeleton to matck where you moved the model or vice versa.
While this isn't too bad for something simple I would hate to try it for an animated character.
And I can almost guarentee you that you at least have to turn everything around 180 degrees so it faces forward in FPSC.
This might not be necessary for characters since you can just rotate them when you place them.
Once you get the hang of modeling in Milkshape it's not too bad.
Good luck with your modeling.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 20:55
thank you for your responses Fred and Butters.

yea, its a huge problem trying to move the model once the animations are done. The very first bone I placed remains in its place skewing up the whole skeleton (and hence the animations!)

I wish I knew if I could actually unbind the vertices from the joints and then move the stuff. Shall have to try that later though.... am running out of time for the contest deadline!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 14:25:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 14:25:39